My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
JDNewbee back. My L110 has been doing well since I starting understanding the safety switches. But today a new problem developed. i fired up my mower and after about 10 yards it cut off. I made sure all the safety switches were in place. Still no result when i turned the key. Did not even attempt to start. Then I noticed that my headlights were not working. it has a new battery, so I did not believe it was the battery. Checked the fuse, and it was blown. I replace the fuse and it fired right up. But after about 10 yards it shut off again. All I have read leads me to believe it may be the starter. But I wanted to check with this group before I went any further, as you all have been so so helpful. So your thoughts. One other thing. The blades were not engaged, I was only running the tractor.

Thanks

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,058 Posts
Was the fuse for the headlights? If so, definitely sounds like a short somewhere in the wiring or as PA318 said bad connection, so check those out.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
JD, Nope, not starter. A bad starter will only come into play when trying to start. Sounds more like a bare wire "someplace". Driving around bounces the wire causing it to contact frame/engine/trans/some grounded metal part and this blows fuse. Check headlight wires as these/this is generally in the area of the engine and can touch/melt/and short. I think it's gonnabe a matter of checking each wire...all 1000 of them... to find 1 wire with burnt insulation! Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your help. Not sure if the problem is solved. I checked all the quickly visible wires. Found some corrosion around the positive cable and cleaned that. All the rest i could see looked OK. before I got your feedback, i replaced the fuse (it is the one close to the positive battery post, is there another?) It fired up again, but after about 10 yards it shut off again. After checking the wires and replacing the fuse again, it ran for about 10 minutes and did not cut off. Will mow later this week to get the yard "pretty for the wife's 4th of July cookout. Will report back after that. Thanks again for all your help.

·
4,837 Posts
Check the headlights again...it could be a bad headlight switch...just pull the connector out of it and see if that does it.....if it does. the job..just leave it disconnected until you can get a switch to replace it

·
Registered
587 Posts
It appears that the lights are controlled by the key switch...also the light wires don't have power unless they are turned on. I would say it could be a fault in the charging system, hour meter, or fuel solenoid, that pops the fuse after the same amount of time, if it is not a damaged wire. Try turning the key on and leaving it on for the same amount of time it takes for you to drive that distance. If it pops it's the fuel solenoid. If not then it's the charging system, hour meter, or a damaged wire (since you aren't moving and bouncing the harness around).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Shorts can be hard to find. My BIL works on a farm. Their 425 kept blowing a fuse. JD dealer said it was the fuse block, it was scuzzy and corroded. Got it back and blew the fuse. A little detective work showed it was the same girl on the tractor and it blew in the exact same spot in the yard. There was a scalped strip on one side of the deck, and a big rock on the other and she was mowing at speed. Turned out the deck was slamming into the frame and pinched a wire every time it hit. Just saying they can be hard to find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts