My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you folks may have read my posts on my dads 95 Chevy 2500's 6.5 diesel blowing up on him. Well he's gotten another truck (96 F250, Powerstroke) and has passed this one on to me. Today we pulled the engine out, and it's FUBAR.

We could tell with the engine in the truck there were 2 holes in the oil pan, and coolant in the oil. Not good. :banghead3

Once pulled, we removed the oil pan to reveal the carnage. Two wrist pins, various bits and pieces, and several remnants of a couple rods. It turns out the rear (furthest from the front of truck) rod on each side had broken. Once completely from the crank and piston, the other from the piston (bearing was gone). One cylinder had a large break in it (where the water came from). Now, the real question is about the pistons. They were both broken at the wrist pins. This engine was a newer reman (<50k miles) that we paid to have put in. It hasn't EVER seen any RPM's over 3000, and has never towed anything ridiculous. Both heads were in good shape, as were the other 6 pistons. When it blew up it was cruising on the highway (65-70 MPH, maybe 2k RPM) and it just blew up suddenly. Didn't sputter, miss, or smoke, although he said it was making a new tapping noise (he though it was the vacuum pump and kept going).

And what you guys were probably waiting for, pics.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=6201&catid=member&imageuser=30161
http://www.mytractorforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=6200&catid=member&imageuser=30161
http://www.mytractorforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=6199&catid=member&imageuser=30161
http://www.mytractorforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=6196&catid=member&imageuser=30161

I think it's unlikely a diesel will go back in it, unless I find a 6.5 with bad heads for cheap or something. I would love to put a Cummins in it, but that is not in the cards financially right now. It has an NV4500 5spd manual in it, so a gas swap would not be difficult and is what I will probably do. I have located a carb 305 locally that I'm considering.

What do you guys think? Sloppy reman, flawed pistons, or something else?

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
You might want to shrink those pics down a size or two .. Not sure about anyone else .. but they were so big it actually makes it hard to view them :sorry1:

·
Super Moderator
32,656 Posts
Well at least you know what the problem is! You aren't going to waste any time trying to rebuild that engine so you can focus on getting the replacement. Sorry to hear about your troubles!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You might want to shrink those pics down a size or two .. Not sure about anyone else .. but they were so big it actually makes it hard to view them :sorry1:
They are resized now, but since none of my uploading sites are working you will have to click on them. I have a 22" monitor so big pics aren't an issue for me, should have thought about everyone else. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
4BTswap.com It for swapping 4BT cummins into about anything. Find a good ol' 6BT to put in it. Maybe a early non intercooled one. EASY SWAP! just find a adapter plate from a bread truck. I know this cause i swapped a TH400 in my 90 Dodge using that adapter

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
What was he using the truck for? Sure enough, that engine is destroyed. I've had 2 powerstrokes now, I've had to work on them, but they kept on going.

What does a newer reman with less than 50K mean? Was that you picked up an engine that was reman'd (and had an unspecified number of miles) and had been driven for 50K more miles before you got it, or an engine that only had 50K miles on it, total.

Was this engine chipped or chipped in the past?

·
Registered
472 Posts
JMO, that does not look like forged pistons to me. I vote cheap pistons in the reman, cast or hyperteutic does not like detonation, which all a smoker does...

·
15,000 +posts!
20,543 Posts
The "best" 6.5 was the '93 model year,still had the mechanical injector pump and a turbo..but none of the 6.2's or 6.5's are considered a top notch engine really,they cant compare to a 7.3 IHC or a Cummins...but for ease of replacement I'd just find a good used 6.5 and install it,its bad enough putting back what came out of a vehicle sometimes,when you swap in something else there is always a ton of minor things you'll be lacking that'll make you go crazy,hunting those trinkets down in junkyards...

I almost put a 500 Caddilac engine in one of my GM trucks,after reading all aboutsome other guys swaps online (I have one stashed away in my shed!)--but after realizing I'd have to hunt down an Eldorado oil pan,and many other things had to be altered,I said screw that,and bought a good running 305 instead for the truck,for 150 bucks..ten or twenty years ago I'd be all gung ho about that kind of a swap,but I'm not so enthusiastic about re-inventing the wheel,the older I get..you can swap anything into anything if you have your health and money,but the bottom line is,is it WORTH it??..

·
Registered
940 Posts
that sounds odd
weve had 2 6.2 4 6.5TD
6.2 - no problems except the glow plugs and controllers are junk
6.5 - two needed heads, one cracked block

we know a truck that has 130k miles on it, 3rd engine, block on the first, crank on the second, running LIKE A ROCK now LOL

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
didnt say, but if that reman. was under warranty, make the re-builder pay for it

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the late reply, didn't even know this thread was still going.

The engine was a brand new Reman long block. Warranty was already up.

The truck was not used for very heavy duty use, the most it ever had to pull was a gooseneck livestock trailer full of cattle. His new Powerstroke handles that just fine.

As far the Chevy, it's mine now and I have a carbed 305 that's going in it for now. My flywheel arrives monday, and shortly after that we're going to drop the motor in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts