My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Im new to the site but did a recent install of a block heater (ar87167)for my 1987 john deere 850 compact tractor with yanmar 3 cyl diesel.
I have not seen this info on the net for this model so thought I would ad my experiences and photos of the install.
Hope it helps someone down the road..

The install was very forward, basically remove a threaded plug from behind the starter and replace with the proper block heater kit for john deere.

I did have to remove starter to do this since my breaker bar used to remove the plug could not be inserted into the plug and while backing it out that distance would make it even closer to the starter, just remove it, it took a few minutes to do so.

Remove radiator cap and remove as much coolant as you can.

Remove the plug just enough to allow the coolant to flow from the threaded plug and use a clean pan to catch the coolant and either re use if clean or replace if dirty.

The complete job took about an hour, maybe two if your have a tough time getting that plug out, but a large breaker bar and a piece of pipe if needed will do it, its in there pretty good.

I plugged in the coolant heater for a moment or two to make sure it worked, it was hot in a jiffy. Once cooled Remember to put thread sealer on the threads of the new coolant heater.

Once the coolant heater is installed I installed the starter before I plugged in the cord to the coolant heater, there just wasnt enough room to get a wrench on the inner nut for the starter.

I did place some electrical grease on the orange plug end to seal the connections plus help removal if ever needed.

I hope the photos help, generally the john deere 750, 850, 950 and 1050 should be pretty close to this install..

Re

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Welcome and thanks for the very thorough procedure description and pics.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That is the exact same block heater I installed on my 955. It's a 1" NPT screw in heater. When I checked into it, JD's price was about $80. I did some searching around and ended up buying a Zero Start block heater for $26 and it is identical to yours. I am convinced that JD just puts a Zero Start heater in a JD box and adds about $50 to the price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your probably correct on the zero start compared to the jd heater..
I looked into them but the internet dealer i was talking with made me believe that the zero start was not the correct size.
It was mentioned that the jd used a metric thread due to the yanmar engine, so i did the jd part.
I didn't want issues with getting it sealed up it ruining the threads on the heater and leaking coolant.
But I hope the article helps someone and then they can decide if the zero start is for them, thanks for the input...

By the way the heater has worked awesome, we have had a cold spell here in Michigan and the tractor starts fantastic..

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Thanks jd for the info. I've been wanting to do the same up grade to my 850. I cringe every time I need to start the little diesel in cold weather. Maybe I'll get to it now.
Nice looking 850 you have.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Fantastic writeup and very nice photos to go along with it. This is great information that I'm sure several guys can use, myself included. :thThumbsU

That is the exact same block heater I installed on my 955. It's a 1" NPT screw in heater. When I checked into it, JD's price was about $80. I did some searching around and ended up buying a Zero Start block heater for $26 and it is identical to yours. I am convinced that JD just puts a Zero Start heater in a JD box and adds about $50 to the price.
Would you mind posting up the part number and my even a link? I'm very curious now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the compliments on my tractor, its actually my first purchase of a used tractor.
I think I got a jem, it had less than 800 hours, all worked as it should and it was a 4x4.
The only regret was the previous owner sold the loader off the tractor a month before I got a chance to look at it.
But the tractor, finish mower, rototiller and back blade was less than 5500.00 so I did well.

Thanks again and I hope the coolant heater install photos help someone, somewhere out there..
Merry christmas all....

·
MTF Rasberry Farmer
264 Posts
:MTF_wel:Nice write up JD. Great pics and tractor!

·
MTF Newbie
4 Posts
Great write up! I can across this in a google search and, after reading, felt confident I could do this myself. Thank you for sharing!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
First off, great write-up. I'm very excited to see this and I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than me can tell me if this will work on my 950 as well?

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Frantheman
51 Posts
I'm very curious what PN was used, too. I found the Zero Start PN 310-0003 to be a lookalike with 1" NPT. Is it the one you used for your 955? :dunno:

·
Frantheman
51 Posts
Thanks jd8504x4 for the great write up, it motivated me to track down a heater for my 955 and get it installed! :trink39:

I did a similar write up here.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
No, the X50 Series machines came with manually operated intake heater. Turning the ignition switch backward and holding it there for a short bit burns a tiny amount of fuel in the intake with an electric filament heating the air that will be pulled into the cylinders to aid in cold weather starting. It helps when it's chilly out but not so much when the temperatures drop to brutally cold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey everyone, I just joined the forums today for an unrelated issue and it's already solved but I wanted to chime in on here. I own a 750 compact and installed the engine block heater that you can find at Amazon.com: Robot Check

I paid roughly $32 for it and it's the exact same color and everything it looks like from the op's pictures. I just wanted to let anyone know that is doing this for a 750 that I was following the manual and it shows the threaded engine block heater being installed behind the starter as the pictures do on the 850 above but I had NO threaded plugs over there. I had 2 threaded plugs on the right side of the engine and pulled the plug closest to the seat out and everything is working great with it.

Hope this helps!

Alan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the informative post, jd8504x4! Gave me the boost of courage to tackle this on my 1980 John Deere 1050. It was a very similar install and I'd like to add my experience to hopefully help others.

First, yes, just pull the starter and get it out of the way. It's possible to work around on the 1050, but it only takes 5 minutes and you can do a quick check for any pinion wear. On my 1050, the threaded block plug that needed to be removed had a square end that stuck out instead of being recessed. It measured 3/4" across the flats and I could not get a wrench in there, so I had to get a 3/4" 8-point socket. I learned that when buying an 8-point for square nuts, you buy the same socket size as the measurement across the flats. I know I could have gotten a 12-point socket to fit OK, but I wanted a snug, proper fit in anticipation of the torque I would be applying.

Draining the coolant from the screw plug by the radiator was straightforward. This drained the coolant to below the location of the plug I would be removing, so no fluid would be lost once I took out the plug. About 1.5 gallons came out, so nearly all the coolant. If it wasn't winter and a buddy's (heated) shop, I would have done a flush... I'll save that for spring when I'm sure I'll have all the time in the world.

I used an 18" breaker bar with a 6" extension to the 3/4" 8-pt socket. The plug came out with minimal effort. I was surprised (shocked!) as I had read about all the breaker bars that broke, extensions twisted, bent leverage pipes... man, I had a 4' pole, liquid wrench, and torch lined up ready to go, but didn't need them. I was working on the tractor while the engine was warm (I drove about 1/2 mile to the shop) and wonder if that helped?

I purchased the JD part for $80 from local dealer. Peace of mind knowing it is the right piece. I used three wraps of red Teflon tape on the threads of the block heater - just what I had laying around for working on the outdoor wood burner. A 35 mm socket (actually an axle nut socket) fit the block heater perfectly. I could not find torque specs for the block heater, but tightened it to little tighter than the feel of the plug I removed, maybe 60 lb-ft? It was snug and felt right, so I went with it. I installed it to look just like the picture in the parts manual that shows you where to find your engine serial number (attached).

I was able to cleanly recover the coolant, so I just poured it back in. Of course spilled some but only had to add a couple pints. The total job took just over an hour which included me checking the thermostart (neat seeing that thing puff off), refilling the coolant, extending drawbar, dickering around with this and that, and having a couple drinks between it all. So install of block heater alone probably half an hour.

Drove home and messed around with a trailer and firewood for an hour before shutting down - no leaks (yet).

Attachments

·
Overkill? What's that?
10 Posts
When I did mine on my 955, I ordered a KATZ through NAPA. Sure does help when it's -10*F out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great looking 850!!! Love mine!!! It started this winter in northen MN every time even @ -20 but might add a block heater down the road. Would not be a bad addition at all. Did you add it due to starting issues you were experiencing or just proactive planning? Thanks for posting your project and the experience with it, very informative.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys Im new to the site but did a recent install of a block heater (ar87167)for my 1987 john deere 850 compact tractor with yanmar 3 cyl diesel.
I have not seen this info on the net for this model so thought I would ad my experiences and photos of the install.
Hope it helps someone down the road..

The install was very forward, basically remove a threaded plug from behind the starter and replace with the proper block heater kit for john deere.

I did have to remove starter to do this since my breaker bar used to remove the plug could not be inserted into the plug and while backing it out that distance would make it even closer to the starter, just remove it, it took a few minutes to do so.

Remove radiator cap and remove as much coolant as you can.

Remove the plug just enough to allow the coolant to flow from the threaded plug and use a clean pan to catch the coolant and either re use if clean or replace if dirty.

The complete job took about an hour, maybe two if your have a tough time getting that plug out, but a large breaker bar and a piece of pipe if needed will do it, its in there pretty good.

I plugged in the coolant heater for a moment or two to make sure it worked, it was hot in a jiffy. Once cooled Remember to put thread sealer on the threads of the new coolant heater.

Once the coolant heater is installed I installed the starter before I plugged in the cord to the coolant heater, there just wasnt enough room to get a wrench on the inner nut for the starter.

I did place some electrical grease on the orange plug end to seal the connections plus help removal if ever needed.

I hope the photos help, generally the john deere 750, 850, 950 and 1050 should be pretty close to this install..

Re
Thanks! You have a good looking 850 there, I wish my 950 looked half as good. I live in Mississippi so don't much need a block heater, but I have a tire question. Is the OD of your rear turfsavers the same as a lug tire that came on your 850? How do you like the turfsavers? Thanks and may you be well!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts