My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it blew up! Blew the flange ring right off the end of the cylinder (Allis-Chalmers 816 from the 70's). I've been doing some serious landscaping in the yard and today, I added a fountain... hydraulic fluid gracefully sprayed across the yard.

I figured out how to put it all back together but it didn't last. The threads on either the cylinder body or the flange ring (or both) are stripped. I'm wondering if anyone else here has had this happen. I'm very concerned with the repair bill or the possibility of finding a replacement cylinder. This thing looks like a 4" bore (if not bigger).

The worst part of this ordeal was that the first time this happened, I screwed the flange ring back on with no issues and no leaks. When it happened again (fully extended so I could work on it) the seals must have gotten messed up because it leaks like crazy.

What a nightmare!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I've done this before in a pinch with a cylinder that was shot like yours but not leaking, I had nothing to lose.
Screwed it back together like you did but then I welded two straps over the cap to the barrell of the cylinder, one on each side. I didn't want to weld to the actual cap as I wasn't sure if it was cast steel or cast iron.
Just have to make sure that the piston is clear of the welded area so you don't bugger the seals. Not what I'd call a professional looking repair but it got a friend of mine out of a bind......Mike

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have been a heavy equipment field service mechanic for over 20 years now, and that does happen. Not too often, but often enough. Cheapest option will be to find a used cylinder and put new packing seals in it. Also, most hyd. shops are set up to repair this, but they will have to inspect it to determine the course of repair. If you do not have any hyd. shops in your area, many machine shops are also familiar with repairing these. Also, if you have a good hydraulic shop nearby, they can often locate a cylinder with a similar dimension that will work for your tractor, cut the pin bosses or mounts off the ends of your old cylinder and rod and fit them to the replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts