My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normal or not? I have about 30 hours on the LTX1045 and I just recently greased the old girl, as recommended by the manual. When I was turning the blades by hand to get to the spindle fittings, I noticed the blades squealed (like metal on metal) quite a bit. I looked around and found the squealing to be coming from on top of the deck where the shaft fits through the deck. Concerns or not? If so, what should I do?

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Does your deck have a blade brake?
I have worked on 2 different mowers this spring that did the same thing if you turned the blades by hand. On both mowers it was the brake that made the noise. I found that I had to engage the blade clutch (manual clutch) about half way so the brake did not drag when I turned the blades.
Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, I don't know if it was a blade brake or not. How would I be able to tell? What does it look like and where is it located? Are they standard on an LTX1045?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a LTX1045 and the 1st 2-3 mows when i shut down the blades i smelled the fant smell of rubber . I asked my auth. dealer and thay said it had a break on it . so maybe thats makeing your noise ?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not sure about the Cub Cadet application, but on my fathers 1999 Wheel Horse the brake is actually built into the PTO clutch. It makes a very similar squealing noise when turning off the PTO or rotating the deck by hand with the tractor off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know how I would determine if there's a brake on it or not? I'll be working in the yard tomorrow, so I'll take a look then.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Blades can't squeal, there's nothing to them. Most likely a pulley. If it still squeals after greasing it I still wouldn't worry about it. the deck belt it auto adjusted by the spring tensioner...and that's that.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
OP - using yer manual instructions, remove deck drive belt from PTO pulley. Then, chk your deck spindles and idler pulleys again for squealing/noise - s/b quiet and all easy to turn. Visually chk for any unusual wear points where an idler pulley may be touching a spindle pulley due to stretched belt, etc.
If noise/squealing is coming from any of the spindles, check for junk wrapped around spindle underside or remove/repair noisy spindle/pulley.
Your PTO should have a built-in brake and may well be source of the noise you heard and - within reason - is normal.
If noise is in deck and yer machine is still in warranty, get that dealer to get you fixed up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts