My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit a stump with my JD Z track 335e. The cap on spindle was badly damaged. I was concerned that the spindle could have been bent so replaced that spindle assembly and the other at the spindle at the same time. I put on other older JD blades (not ones used when hit stump) but the blades are still hitting about every 30 sec. I jack up the mower and get under deck and spin it but cannot really tell. Two questions: 1. Did not replace the bolt and washer that hold on the blade. they look fine but maybe they are slight bent and whould get replaced? 2. Nothing in the manual but on this machine do the blades need to be at exact perpendicular 90?
Thanks

· Registered
2021 1025R w/ loader, backhoe & midmount. 2009 X748SE (sold).
32 Posts
No blades don't have to be perpendicular. Look at the tips of the blades and the housing to see if you can tell what metal is touching. Also check that the blades pass by one another at the same height.
X2. If it's hitting, you should see where. Can you post a pic where exactly the stump hit/went under? It could be the front of the deck that is bent.

· Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
11,008 Posts
I would recommend taking the deck off, so you can flip it upright or over, so you can examine it better. It's possible the deck is bent, the front edge or where a spindle is mounted, so that a blade just hits it.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for quick replies. I thought it would be days to get a reply, went work outside and thrilled to see folks already replied when I got back in. The stump did not really hit the deck, I went over it and it caught the blade. There is no damage that I can see to the deck anywhere. The end edge of blade seems shiny so I'm think the two blades are hitting. I do not see any scrapping on inner deck. I hear metal on metal every 10-15 seconds so certainly not occurring with every revolution of blades. The blades seem to be on same plane though just eyeballing it. I did just loosen the blade, adjust, retighten to be sure they were on center but no improvement. The washer that sits under the bolt holding blade on the spindle, the manual says its cupped and sorta recall that but seems flat now. Is that a problem? The bolt goes in easy and seems to sit flat but if bent could it cause the blades to not spin correctly? I cannot see this being a belt issue but perhaps you folks know otherwise. Feeling frustrate and any help much appreciated.

· Registered
5,579 Posts
If the blades hit on the outer edge somewhere, whatever they are hitting is going to have a shiny spot. Not always easy to see unless you have the deck off and upside down.

Most blades will flex a tad with speed so they don't always hit at the same time or even regularly. I hit a concrete post buried in a weed patch. After replacing the wrecked blade I had same on and off clicking, particularly when starting the blades. But bumping along cutting the grass, it would periodically "tick". One of the inner shrouds that maintains air flow in the circular pattern had been slightly bent and the blade just touched it now and then. The "shiny spot" was only about 1/8th of an inch on that shroud barely visible. Hammered it back a tad and all was fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts