My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know on a 54 " deck what the stock blade clearance is between the blades ???...I had damaged the tip of mine (on the discharge chute side)..so I thought this would be a good time to try gator blades...they are they same length as the stock blades but the center blade and left side blade just clip each other when mowing.....the right side blade nad center miss each other by about 1/4 ".....while left side and center about 1/16"......?
all spindles seem tight no play or noise when spinning no wobble can be seen........before I drop deck tomorrow and try standard blades, any ideas ?????
(I really like the Gator's cut...cept for that "tick" tick") :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
There are three occasions where I've had the blade(s) touch the deck sides:

1. One of the spindle bolts had come loose and fallen out to tweak the blade just enough, causing the blade to slightly contact the right side of the housing. I opted to drill out and tap all three spindle bolt holes, replacing the original self-tapping bolts with threaded stainless 5/16" X 1.25" bolts, capping the top with stainless nylon lock nuts.
2. A lower spindle bearing failure which caused enough wobble just enough on the left side to slightly bang against the housing forward of the exhaust shute. Rebuilt spindle with new bearings, problem solved.
3. I hit a rather large piece of wood in the grass, causing a slight bend in the left hand blade. I replaced the blade and problem solved.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the blades are new, so bent is out...they are not hitting the inside of the mower deck, but the center blade and the left blade are just barley touching each other and hitting together when mowing........
the hi left blade that I damaged is on the right side and that new gator blade that I put on is clearing every thing just fine.....I would think the problem lies in the center or left side, but both at the same time...........??

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
There are three occasions where I've had the blade(s) touch the deck sides:

1. One of the spindle bolts had come loose and fallen out to tweak the blade just enough, causing the blade to slightly contact the right side of the housing. I opted to drill out and tap all three spindle bolt holes, replacing the original self-tapping bolts with threaded stainless 5/16" X 1.25" bolts, capping the top with stainless nylon lock nuts.
2. A lower spindle bearing failure which caused enough wobble just enough on the left side to slightly bang against the housing forward of the exhaust shute. Rebuilt spindle with new bearings, problem solved.
3. I hit a rather large piece of wood in the grass, causing a slight bend in the left hand blade. I replaced the blade and problem solved.
I wouldn't put lock nuts on the mower blade. The lock nuts with nylon in them have the nylon lose strength after a while with grass and dirt and might loosen up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Or. the problem is on the right side (damaged) and ALL the blades would otherwise hit...

Could you not clearance the ends that hit?

·
blinged out
1,346 Posts
if the old blades didn't hit each other and the new blades are the same length,the only possibility is the mounting hole in one of the new blades is not centered!try switching them around to see if the hitting follows one of the blades! I find it hard to believe,but going with what you are stating has to be!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all your reply's.......my solution was to trim the center blade about1/8 to 3/16 both ends.....it fixed it....I will rebuild all three spindles this fall.......

and I WILL NEVER MOW WITHOUT GATOR BLADES.....
wow grass was damp, mower never slowed at bit in it....no wind rowing, or clumping AT ALL!

Beautiful mow lines, cut is dead on even........actually might have shaved 30 min off of a 4 hr job, by being able to speed up....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts