My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 42" Craftsman Lawn Tractor, Model No. 917.270671. At the end of last season and again as I fired it up this year, the blade speed just isn't right. If I am at a full stop the blades spin normally (as far as I can tell from the sound), but when I start to cut they will slow/bog down in even minimally high grass, sometimes to the point of coming to a stop and making a loud noise as they slow down. After I'm at a full stop they'll pick up speed again.

I've checked the deck and everything appears to be working normally. The belt was changed last year and doesn't show any signs of wear or damage. What could be causing this problem?

Additionally, the blades don't stop properly - I'm sure this information is useful in determining the overall problem. When I disengage the deck, the blades will continue to spin until they finally slow down to a stop.

Any help/guidance would be most appreciated!

Mike O.
Branford, CT (now cutting my lawn with a pushmower!)

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Assuming a manual PTO, it sounds like a PTO adjustment problem. On manual PTOs, it controls belt tension. It also engages the brakes.

Follow the PTO cable and check out the action.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm with LLigetfa, it sounds like a problem with belt tension. Check your belt routing and any springs that provide tension. I've had slippage problems with my electric clutche because the belt was routed improperly and I always have trouble with new belts because they're so tight. Also check for oil spills or leakage on the belt.

Another problem I've run into is when the mounting members become bent and change the position of the deck with relation to the tractor.

RB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts