My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a searching for either a blade or blower that would fit up to my tractor (917.255980) I came upon both...and they are the model that fits! (both for $175.00 ) $50. for the blade, $125. for the blower.
I suspect the brackets for both are not included as their son trashed the engine on the tractor and sent it to the junk yard.
I will probably need to order mtg. brackets. I'll see for certain tomoorow morning.
So the question is, which is generally preferred for snow removal....blade or blower.
OR is it possible to interchange between the two? In which case I will order both sets of brackets.

Thanks,

Pop

·
Premium Member
9,785 Posts
And the answer is...... It depends.

In most conditions the snow blower will be better. It will handle deep snow better and it will throw it out of the way. However, in a wet, messy storm like the Northeast just had, the blower will struggle with slush, and it's **** to blow with all the sticks and branches buried in the snow. If a blade can push a wet pile of slush it's the better choice in those conditions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would prefer the blade for reasons you mentioned. It is however, unlikely I will find a blower for the tractor for $125.00. So I am buying both. Is it possible to sawp the blade for the blower without having to change frame brackets or is it just wishful thinking?

The $175.00 for both was an easy sell to the household CFO! I hate to sqaunder the good will.

Thanks,

Pop

·
Registered
80 Posts
I also have both the blade and the snowblower for my Suburban. I don't know if they are the same models as yours (my part numbers are in this thread http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=149702).

I live near Pittsburgh, PA, and we got a fair amount of snow last year. I have a pretty decent sized driveway that I kept clear with the blade. I have a rubber strip mounted between the blade and the edge so I don't destroy my driveway or bend anything while plowing. I thought it worked very well.

However, we got a big snow that drifted a couple times last year. I used the blower to clear out around my mailbox (2-3 ft deep in places). The blade would not have worked for this. Plus, I used the blower a couple times to clear a path through the yard from the house to the woodpile.

Unfortunately, I can't have two tractors, but I am able to change between the blade and the blower in about 30 minutes, which I thought was a pretty reasonable time if the conditions required it.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
Are you talking about the suburban in you avatar? if that's the case, all the plows and blowers are plug and play- you will need to pull the blade out of the mule drive and depending on which blower you bought, if it's a white one, it simply slips in the mule drive and has a couple pins, and a couple bolts and you hook up the belt. If it is a newer big gray one, you have a pto unit that slides in the mule slot and bolts in with a v shaped hook, then the blower lift goes thru the lower back mower mount, and there are two pins that hook to the lower holes in the front axle and two springs hook to the pto unit for lift assist.

The old style Dozer blades and the white blowers are all self contained - lift and unit all in one. The big blowers have a few components, but all three can swap in a matter of 10-15 minutes at most if you know what you'r doing

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Convince the CFO that she needs a tractor like yours, so the blower can be mounted on it.
I've lived with a 42 inch blade for many years. Now I have 3 machines with blades. And, 2 machines that have blowers. Plus several walk behind blowers. If that doesn't scare the snow away this year, nothing will.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My current tractor is a 255980. Yeah the big gray one. My avatar pic my favorite, 76 SS-18 has now departed the premises.
I was hoping that I could, with minimal changes, swap between the blade and blower. The older SS would have been easier but....(see line 2)
I will hopefully have a few weeks to get the swapping down to 10-15 minutes as GTO mentioned before the real winter starts.
As for a second tractor, "will you need a third tractor JUST for mowing also"
I said two would be sufficient. The look said it all..second tractor question asked and answered. I live to fight another day!

Pop

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't have the smart reasons as do the people above. I have used a blade and a blower on my 14.5 hp tractor. The blower worked better although it was marginal with deeper snow.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
I am not sure what model the 255980 is.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
I looked it up- that is a 1993 GT6000- nothing like a suburban! It would take considerable work to get a suburban blade and blower to fit it if thats what you bought. Also, the blowers on those are a little more involves to put on even if it is the correct blower for it.

·
DGS 6500 - North Dakota
172 Posts
I have both a Berco blade and blower for my DGS6500. That has a 26HP Kohler. Two springs ago, I had already taken the blower and subframe off, thinking snow was done for the year. We had a 4 inch slushy snow storm. So I thought I could just slap the blade on and take care of it. I'd only get 5 feet and the weight was too much to get any traction.

So I bit the bullet and put the blower back on. I say this is a testament to the Berco's, but I ran right through that slush like nothing. It threw just as far as drier snow, as long as I had the blower "loaded" up. Meaning I had to get a fair amount of snow into the blower. "Light" load didn't feed into second stage well. So I drove with my forward speed pretty fast. So all I ever use my blade for is to level some low spots that crop on on my driveway.

But then again, my DGS is on the high end for garden tractors, being designed for a big load. You'd have to get a JD x500 or x700 to be better than my DGS...

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Last winter I found a blade to be faster, since we'd only get 3-4" at a time. But, it wouldn't touch the drifts. As soon as the powder here drifts a bit, it sets up like concrete that it's hard to even get a snowblower through. It was nice to cut back the banks, though, since I had quite a bit of buildup from using the plow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The new implements are home and I may be confused.
The tractor the blade and blower came off of was a 917.255919.
The model number of the blower is 842.240560 s/n 48644. The mdl. number of the blade is 486.24481 s/n 8005. According to the fit-up guide these numbers don't exist?!
In the guide my 917.255980 and the 917.255919 take the same implements.
Further research will be needed. , I am hoping that it just the Sears number shuffle and all is well. I am hoping it was money well spent.. IF not...anyone have a tractor that these would fit and are looking to purchase.

·
Registered
617 Posts
So the question is, which is generally preferred for snow removal....blade or blower.
The "it depends" answer is a good one. It depends on how much and what type of snow you've got and on how long and how wide the area to be cleared is and on where you need to put the snow. Whew!! :sidelaugh:sidelaugh
Plowing requires the tractor to have enough traction to shove the pile of snow. That pile builds up the farther you push it unless plowing to the side causes it to fall out of the way.

My machine has chains, but no additional weight other than me. My drive is 300 feet long and 12 feet wide, plus a parking area near the garage. More than a few inches of snow quickly become a difficult job because the blade doesn't get rid of all the snow--some stays in front and that builds up as you go. Pretty quickly, the wheels just spin.

Of course, it's much nicer to ride than to walk behind, plus the blade does a good job right down to the pavement if the heavy snow is gone.

My alternative is a walk-behind self-propelled 10 hp two-stage snowthrower. Once that impeller gets into the snow, the snow disappears from further "processing"! You only deal with it once.

However, it can be slippery walking behind, especially on a hill (not a factor with the tractor mounted blower). Also, blowing gets the snow up into the air where it can impair visibility and can be blown by the wind back into your face.

If I only had one machine to choose, I would take the snow thrower because there isn't anything it can't handle. Of course, changing machines in my situation is easy: Park one and start up the other. You might not find it much fun to change between attachments in cold weather, especially if you have to do it outside after getting some snow and ice on the tractor with the first attachment.

Just some thoughts to consider.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts