My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I recently purchase a Regent 18/38. I bought it a few weeks ago and haven't mowed often with it. I notice that yesterday I cut the lawn at like 3.5 and the blade left scalp marks during tight turns. This doesn't seem normal. I haven't touched anything since the dealer delivered. What can I do? It this normal? How do adjust?

Any help would be appreciated
Bobby

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Does it have anti-scalp gauge wheels and if so are they set to the right height? Did you check the tire pressures?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bobbydadario,

I also have the 18/38 but have never had a scalping problem. Have plenty of beds and other stuff to twist and turn around in my yard which on my previous mower I did alot of scalping.

V/R
Jeff

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Maybe you're taking the turns too fast and Newton's law is coming into play causing the deck to lean on the turn. Is it any different if you slow down?

If so, the deck might not be properly leveled, causing one of the hangers to carry more of the weight than the other.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
The only suggestion I have to offer is to check your blades. One of them could be bent. If it wasn't new I would suggest that you check the spindles.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
I don't know what quality of blade it has, but the stock blades on my YT3000 were pure junk. They were so flimsy that they would flex downward under a heavy cutting load. If I hit a thick patch or if it started to scalp, it would get pulled down and nose dive into the ground. You could hear the blade oscillate when it did this. They would start to vibrate like a tuning fork further exacerbating the issue. I upgraded to Gator blades that are much stiffer and they don't have this problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK guys, I took your advice. The tires were overinflated... the rears were at 12 and the fronts at 16. I read the manual very closely. How in the world can you get under the deck to measure the height of the blades??? It was easy on the discharge side....but the other side forgettaboutit. I also lowered the front of the mower deck since it was much higher than the rear of the deck. I hope that this reduces the dirt blowing in my face

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
Proper deck level should have the front of the deck around 1/4 inch lower that the rear of the deck, deck should be level side to side. You can measure this with one of the deck leveling gauges that many dealers sell, I know our Cub Cadet dealer where I work has them for sale. I park every tractor I service on my lift as its the flattest surface I have access to, and check both outside blades (most are 3 blade decks) I set all the tires equily, for cubs its around 15lbs in all tires. Then with the deck in its highest position, I check each side for levelness and front to back tilt. I turn the blades by hand to get them pointed inline with the tractor. I believe all simplicity decks ride the ground, ie are a full floating design, using the front axle/wheels to control the front of the deck and a rear roller assembly to control the rear deck height. They shouldnt have a problem with quick turns and scalping, weak/thin blades maybe, tires that are low or improperly inflated or a deck linkage problem. Good Luck. Mike T

·
Registered
74 Posts
I hope that this reduces the dirt blowing in my face

are you sure that's dirt? that happened to me once, but it's was very, very dry dog crap....blew out a cloud of crapdust...and wouldn't you know it, i'm downwind of the chute. i don't mow so low now.

glad you found the problem.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
If you raise you deck all the way up you can check to see if the blades are the same hight

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
On some tractors when the deck is fully raised, it pulls up against frame stops which would affect the measurement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts