My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently the blade brake pads on the deck of my Murray 12/38 wore out and I could not find the pads for sale anywhere. Since the brake mechanism itself is in good shape I decided to find a replacement for the pads. I decided that hard rubber or polyurethane would be the best substitute.

I found a square rubber bushing in my collection of junk and cut it into some 1.5X2" rectangles about 1/4" thick. This is the approximate size of the brake pads. I then removed the old brake pads from the brake levers by cutting the rivets off the levers. I cleaned the levers for the new pads by scuffing with a wire brush then cleaning with brake cleaner.

To install the new pads I used 2 part clear epoxy to glue them to the levers. I then secured them together with c-clamps and let the glue dry for 24 hours. The new pads work great, they stop the blades quickly and release them with little noise. Any excess thickness of the pads gets worn off the first time you mow without causing any problems.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Thanks for the tip!. Probably will work for a lot of other brands too.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
I've had some decks that had worn grooves in the material to the point of rubbing the metal backing. I was thinking of something like a tire sidewall glued in much the same way. But I hadn't tried it. Now that I think about it, it would probably smell like tires after a burnout! Might even sound like a burnout in reverse. Wonder if a person could get some brake pads and rivet them in place like that.

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, it does not produce smoke. Any excess rubber material gets worn away quickly with no problems. When you apply the brakes they catch fast with even less skidding than the factory pads. Try it, you'll be impressed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts