My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tractor starts and runs fine. Puffs a little black smoke during normal operation but really pours out under load. Tractor never runs bad and has lots of power. Is this normal for an old diesel tractor or could there be a problem?

·
Registered
384 Posts
If it is pouring a lot of smoke out then there could be a problem. However as long as it still has plenty of power and isn't knocking it's probably not to serious.

With diesels, black smoke sometimes is caused by the injector pump and injectors. Does it have fresh fuel in the tank? I would run some fresh fuel with diesel injector cleaner to see if the smoke would go away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went to TSC and of all things they DON'T stock, it's tractor air filters and fuel filters. Like said though. Doesn't run bad.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Glad to hear that you have it running. We would all like to see some pictures of it.

Which filters did you go with? I mainly use Wix filters on everything I own, because not only do they make an excellent filter they are still made here in the USA. Wix also makes the Napa filters.

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
Glad to help, also glad it was a minor problem. Make it do some work and that will help clear all the excess carbon from the exhaust system.
Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
used wix filters, it runs great now. Just need to hook up remote on it now for rear implements. Is it hard to hook it up? I'm just getting started with all this.

·
16,822 Posts
Glad to hear that you have it running. We would all like to see some pictures of it.

Which filters did you go with? I mainly use Wix filters on everything I own, because not only do they make an excellent filter they are still made here in the USA. Wix also makes the Napa filters.

Amen to that ..most made in Gastonia, N.C. .Been useing them for lasat 15 years, at least!:thThumbsU

glenn

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Pretty normal for the 444s to pour out black smoke when under heavy load, just means it's getting more fuel than it can burn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts