My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out a 425's date of manufacture. No discernable tags anywhere. This particular one has a black seat in nearly new condition as is the rest of the tractor. Does that give a clue as to the year ? I thought most of the JD seats were all yellow ?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I would have thought. The guy that has it owns it for approx 15 years and he said he didn't change it.. Seems to be late 90's.. Since the tractor is so nice I guess it would make sense to invest in a new seat instead of leaving on a crappy one ruining the rest of the tractor's looks..

·
Registered
169 Posts
You should be able to locate a date code either on the engine or somewhere on the machine - i think there might be a sticker on the radiator.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you do find a date code anywhere for the machine let me know. I've got a 445 that the tag is missing. I know the engine tag shows mfg. in 2000. The 445 is a 2001 model and the previous owner gave me the SN but it's be nice to be able to verify for parts ordering and my curiosity.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you do find a date code anywhere for the machine let me know. I've got a 445 that the tag is missing. I know the engine tag shows mfg. in 2000. The 445 is a 2001 model and the previous owner gave me the SN but it's be nice to be able to verify for parts ordering and my curiosity.
There was a guy on the FB 4x5 group that was able to cross my 455 Serial number from the engine SN. I think he works at a dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should be able to locate a date code either on the engine or somewhere on the machine - i think there might be a sticker on the radiator.
The only stickers that are visible ( apparently a power washer took off the rest ) are on the airbox housing and the radiator. Problem is the radiator sticker is 10/29/99 and the airbox housing is 10/09/99.. I'm assuming its a 99 manufacture date but since there are 2 different stickers with 2 different dates I'm not sure.. .

·
Registered
232 Posts
My 445 only has the radiator label. Manufactured in late 96 so most likely up for sale in 97.
Should be safe to say it has the steel cam.

Also, at some point the side panel decals changed based on serial number up to 070000 (not sure what year that is at the moment) but obviously those could have been replaced at some point. Up to 070000 had much more black in the background. After 070000 was primarily yellow background.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 445 only has the radiator label. Manufactured in late 96 so most likely up for sale in 97.
Should be safe to say it has the steel cam.

Also, at some point the side panel decals changed based on serial number up to 070000 (not sure what year that is at the moment) but obviously those could have been replaced at some point. Up to 070000 had much more black in the background. After 070000 was primarily yellow background.
I thought 1998 was the year the steel cam was introduced ? What I found was engine Serial numbers past 15098 on the 445 had the steel cam. This would apply to FD620D engines.. I know nothing about the side panels and their numbers. Sorry..

·
close enuff works for me
3,151 Posts
Leave your tractor with the black seat out in the sun for a few hours ,,,and sit down on it. You will learn real fast, why Deere went to yellow.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had them in the past. Especially the D-180 Wheel Horse. Felt good in the winter though provided there was a little sun..

·
Registered
16 Posts
If the black seat is not to your liking, buy the JD cover for it - and it will be back to yellow for about $25.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a yet to be purchased tractor. I actually have a high back seat ( not the pan ) that was being tossed by a former dealer that was moving.. The black doesn't look too bad but out of place on a John Deere..

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Probably a replacement seat, they were sold with yellow ones.
Have to agree. Think some JD tractors, the CUTS, like a 755-855-955 may have been originally equipped with a black
colored vinyl seat. Pretty doubtful the L&G 425 was. Here's a photo of the different hood, engine side panel decal\labels
on 445 tractors: 1st in front, later in rear.

00909_9joxCk4bpmz_600x450.jpg

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Have to agree. Think some JD tractors, the CUTS, like a 755-855-955 may have been originally equipped with a black
colored vinyl seat. Pretty doubtful the L&G 425 was. Here's a photo of the different hood, engine side panel decal\labels
on 445 tractors: 1st in front, later in rear.

View attachment 2487477
In Germany there are 2 versions, normal seat in yellow, and seat with adjustable suspension in black.
SAM_0808.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts