My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,547 Posts
I remember that Ford, Dodge, GMC and Chevy all had heavy equipment ....none of them were very good, really ...I guess they all decided to leave heavy trucks to the heavy truck makers like Mack, White, Brockway, Autocar ...etc, etc and so on

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
9,171 Posts
GM is slowly working their way back up the Medium-duty truck now, and there are rumors of them going further up into HD trucks in partnership with someone (I don't recall who).

·
Registered
I have had many different tractors, at present I have a early 40s Gibson tractor & a early 70s Sears
275 Posts
I drove a GMC with a silver streak Detroit and that truck would pull 105,500 and kick you know what while doing it. The pic looks like a redid Mack to me.

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
1,032 Posts
I remember those old trucks. The Chevy Bison and the GMC Generals.
The car makers got out of the heavy truck lines because of the federal regulations with them and stuck with passenger cars and light trucks. That's where they made their money at. They lost money on the big trucks and left them to the big truck manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
7,499 Posts
I remember those old trucks. The Chevy Bison and the GMC Generals.
The car makers got out of the heavy truck lines because of the federal regulations with them and stuck with passenger cars and light trucks. That's where they made their money at. They lost money on the big trucks and left them to the big truck manufacturers.
Must have been back when fuel economy standard started.

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
1,032 Posts
The General was the one I drove they look the same to me.
I drove the long nose General with the 400 Cummins and the short nose Brigadier general with a 6v92 back in the early 80's.
The Generals and Bisons looked almost identical except for the hood emblems. They were made on the same line, plant, factory.
Like the pick-up trucks looking identical except for different model names and numbers.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Must have been back when fuel economy standard started.
That was around the time of fuel economy and pollution control was just starting with the Diesels, plus the Feds were getting into all kinds of extra safety requirements for the heavy trucks and that was costing the truck makers a lot of money then.

·
Citizen of Earth
16,630 Posts
This photo brought back memories of my first day in art class in college in 1974. We were mostly all guys with one girl student 18-19 years old and walked into the classroom to be immediately confronted by a nude female model. Some of the guys hadn't seen a naked woman before. Sadly she was about 45 years old, weighed around 250 pounds and a bit scary looking. The guy next to me handed in a drawing at the end of class that looked almost exactly like this photo. The art teacher looked at the drawing for a couple of minutes without saying anything, when the student told him, "That is what I see when looking at her." He got an "A". TRUE story!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
I have had many different tractors, at present I have a early 40s Gibson tractor & a early 70s Sears
275 Posts
I drove most of my adult like and don't know what a 6v92 is can someone inform me. Who made that motor.

·
Registered
275 Posts
So is that the 6 cylinder motor cause the general that I drove was an 8 cylinder.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I drove most of my adult like and don't know what a 6v92 is can someone inform me. Who made that motor.
That was a Detroit Diesel, owned by General Motors at that time. It was a 'V' 6 engine with 92 cubic inches per cylinder, a 2 stroke supercharged diesel engine. Prior to them it was the 6V71 with 71 cubic inches per cylinder.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts