My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hauled this home yesterday. I was only able to get 18 pieces on a 6'x10' trailer.

Fiskars X27 handled this effortlessly. The Makita 6401 is a dream in big wood.:thThumbsU

36 pieces after the Fiskars. This was one round.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,538 Posts
Looks good to me. I think I'll try to add that Fiskar's maul to my Christmas list at this late date. I might be surprised, otherwise, it's back to my no-name with replaced handle.

·
Young Buck
1,594 Posts
We had some some 4' rounds from the base of a double trunk oak. wedged into quarters, than chipped away at it with the axe. want worth starting the splitter. each put out around 50 good size pieces.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It must be "Big Wood" week :fing32:

Look like nice clean burning wood you picked up, what kind of tree was it from ?
This is red oak.

I am kind of spoiled with having access to good wood for free. I have another tract I am cutting that is all black walnut.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I'd like to get a hold of a few rounds like that. I want to make a coffee table out of a 2-3" thick slice of one of those.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like to get a hold of a few rounds like that. I want to make a coffee table out of a 2-3" thick slice of one of those.
Last year a tree service delivered free of charge, (OK I lied, I gave them a 12 pack of Mountain Dew), black walnut that was much larger than those in the pictures. They dropped them in the ditch in front of the house. Busted it all into fire wood.:drunkie:

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And a log splitter, or at least a helper!

Joe
Don't need no stinkin splitter. The trailer is emptied and all the wood is split and stacked along with the bark clutter raked up.

I have no life.:greendr:

·
Registered
3,205 Posts

I'm at the limit with the 18" bar/Stihl 310 on this white oak, it's 5' through at the trunk.
I split(by hand) two 10' limbs the other day & almost got a rick & i haven't gotten to the big limbs yet:crybaby:
I've got wood piles scattered everywhere & we only use it in the backyard pit.

Ronnie

·
Banned
12,901 Posts

I'm at the limit with the 18" bar/Stihl 310 on this white oak, it's 5' through at the trunk.
I split(by hand) two 10' limbs the other day & almost got a rick & i haven't gotten to the big limbs yet:crybaby:
I've got wood piles scattered everywhere & we only use it in the backyard pit.

Ronnie
wow.. some nice counter tops in that tree.. shame its fire wood..

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
wow.. some nice counter tops in that tree.. shame its fire wood..
The trunk is actually going to tables, i borrowed a 36" saw & got it cleaned up to the split, it's 16' even though it dosen't look it in the pic.
We're just waiting for the ground to dry to get a big truck in to get it. I'm making several benches out of some of the limbs.

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Please tell me you are joking about busting and burning black walnut. Please?

Yup that black walnut was about 40" on the stump.:trink40:

The arm wood was a good 16" and I picked it up with a hand truck and up over the folding gate in my trailer.

The 3 sections of trunk were a good 8-10' long and were so big the skid loader with a grapple had the rear tires come off the ground when they picked it up. They dropped it in the ditch in front of my house.

Most was nice straight grain so it split real gooooooooood!:thThumbsU

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.