My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got the tires for the second rider yesterday. I have choosen the rear tires based on what fronts I could find in stock.

The 20g has:
25x10x12 Rears
18x6.5x8 Fronts

The 8163g has:
26x10x12 Rears
19x7x8 Fronts

My neighbour runs all his tractors without weights but with aggressive tires and he never seems to get stuck, so I removed the weight in the second picture rom the 8163g.

I purchased rod ends yesterday to upgrade my tierods on the 8163 I ended up with the oposite setup from stock on the 20G. I got male rod ends instead of female due to issues with what Brafasco had in stock. I will weld nuts to half inch i.d. round pipe and thread the rod ends into that.

In the third pic notice the rear tire size. It is funny how the brand new rear tires are smaller than the older new rear tires. especially since the newer ones are 26 inches and the older ones are 25. I was told by Interco that nylon bias ply flotation tires expand over time to their measured size. (When I called to see why my new swampers were smaller than my old ones)

Rick

Attachments

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
If you think those are big, wait till you see a set of 8X16s on one. 28" diameter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do think these are big. But I also think they look right on these tractors. I don't exactly mow a golf green type lawn with my tractors and their most important role is snow removal. These tires allow me to climb hills that I just could not climb with turf tires.

With the aggressive front tires the tractors turn where you point the wheels they do not plow. I should have the rod ends installed this weakend. I think they will be stronger than the original tie rods. Definitely tighter than the worn out ends on th tractor now. I really want to get the taller steering wheel shaft for the older 8163. I am not sure whether I like the pedal or the lever better. I don't like the brakes being on opposite sides. The 8163 with have a snow blade and the 20g will have the 38 inch blower. Snow clearing should be quicker this year.

Rick

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
I do think these are big. But I also think they look right on these tractors. I don't exactly mow a golf green type lawn with my tractors and their most important role is snow removal. These tires allow me to climb hills that I just could not climb with turf tires.

With the aggressive front tires the tractors turn where you point the wheels they do not plow. I should have the rod ends installed this weakend. I think they will be stronger than the original tie rods. Definitely tighter than the worn out ends on th tractor now. I really want to get the taller steering wheel shaft for the older 8163. I am not sure whether I like the pedal or the lever better. I don't like the brakes being on opposite sides. The 8163 with have a snow blade and the 20g will have the 38 inch blower. Snow clearing should be quicker this year.

Rick
You going with Heim joints?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep.

I have to figure out what the ideal perfect world length of a tie rod assembly is on one of these and then make my heim joint tie rod that length with the rod ends adjusted to half way.

That I think will be for tomorrow.

Today I got the belt on the 8163 changed and mowed a bunch of acres.

Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts