My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
LOL, I've worked in the Pella plant in Murray Kentucky as a loaner carpenter setting up production lines, they are moving some of that to Macomb Illinois now. I may have made fixtures that built your windows!

Small world,
CCMoe
Do you think they make a quality product?

A hispanic man and his wife showed up at 5:30pm, never let us know anything and started roofing the garage addition. About 8pm I went out and asked them "Necessitamos luminas?" Do we need lights? No gracias as he held up a worklight.

8:30 pm and they were done. Looks good. They werent playing around. She lugged all the shingles and roll of paper up the ladder.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Do you think they make a quality product?

A hispanic man and his wife showed up at 5:30pm, never let us know anything and started roofing the garage addition. About 8pm I went out and asked them "Necessitamos luminas?" Do we need lights? No gracias as he held up a worklight.

8:30 pm and they were done. Looks good. They werent playing around. She lugged all the shingles and roll of paper up the ladder.
Yeah, they are good windows, as with anything, there are different grades.

As for the glass itself, it comes from Cardinal Glass, same company that supplies Andersen, Marvin and I'm sure a whole host of other manufacturers.

I spent a week in their Shenandoah Iowa plant that makes McMansion windows when that was the thing, they were building double hung windows that were 10' tall, I walked through it, ducked a little.

That wasn't their first shingle job I take it.

I had some high school football players working for me one summer, it was a rainy summer and it seamed like the roof jobs just kept coming. I didn't have the time to develop their skills as seasoned roofers so I made some story poles to layout the roof, chalked the center vertical lines and then laid out the horizontal lines at 5" or 5 5/8" depending on the shingles used, chalked the horizontal lines and those were the straightest roofs I had ever seen. I continued using that method for years after. It takes maybe a half hour laying it out but everything looks great once finished and that's what you want.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yeah, they are good windows, as with anything, there are different grades.

As for the glass itself, it comes from Cardinal Glass, same company that supplies Andersen, Marvin and I'm sure a whole host of other manufacturers.

I spent a week in their Shenandoah Iowa plant that makes McMansion windows when that was the thing, they were building double hung windows that were 10' tall, I walked through it, ducked a little.

That wasn't their first shingle job I take it.

I had some high school football players working for me one summer, it was a rainy summer and it seamed like the roof jobs just kept coming. I didn't have the time to develop their skills as seasoned roofers so I made some story poles to layout the roof, chalked the center vertical lines and then laid out the horizontal lines at 5" or 5 5/8" depending on the shingles used, chalked the horizontal lines and those were the straightest roofs I had ever seen. I continued using that method for years after. It takes maybe a half hour laying it out but everything looks great once finished and that's what you want.

CCMoe
The windows seem well made. They don't have all the frills of my window world windows(both panes move--top can come down, screens slide up/down in a track, top pane comes out or tilts for cleaning) but I won't need that on the bottom floors although I really like the sliding screen and top pane lowering down ability.

That's cool on the kids. It's hard as heck to get them to do good work. I trained a few in trailer shops I worked in and had to stay on them to do quality work.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Nice Vette! Thanks for the pictures.
Glad to hear the roofers are done with. The last roof i did was on my house in Dallas before i sold it. Took me 2-14 hr. days using an air nailer so my arm lasted. Air nailer is the way to go. My roof now is 10 yrs. old so I'll get the delight of shingling again. LOL
Sounds like the couple worked good together, you'll know just how good this morning when the sun comes up.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Nice Vette! Thanks for the pictures.
Glad to hear the roofers are done with. The last roof i did was on my house in Dallas before i sold it. Took me 2-14 hr. days using an air nailer so my arm lasted. Air nailer is the way to go. My roof now is 10 yrs. old so I'll get the delight of shingling again. LOL
Sounds like the couple worked good together, you'll know just how good this morning when the sun comes up.
That gal was tough. I think he had a little pancake compressor on the roof as they had a cord run up.

Its raining and I have leaks at the house to roof connection but it's because they had no flashing to run at the connection and ran the shingles curved up the wall. The exposed edge pointing up is allowing water to run under.
The contractor needs to flash it when they install the siding.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
The windows seem well made. They don't have all the frills of my window world windows(both panes move--top can come down, screens slide up/down in a track, top pane comes out or tilts for cleaning) but I won't need that on the bottom floors although I really like the sliding screen and top pane lowering down ability.

That's cool on the kids. It's hard as heck to get them to do good work. I trained a few in trailer shops I worked in and had to stay on them to do quality work.
I'm sure the windows will serve you well for many years to come.

The kids, one works for State Farm Insurance Corporate Headquarters and the other is the service manager at the local John Deere dealer, both have done very well for themselves so I guess I was lucky, it helped one being my nephew and his cousin.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Wellhouse siding and house siding going on. I'm pretty pleased with it. House wrap going over the masonite and foam insulation on it. All rotten masonite replaced with waferboard before the siding.

Wellhouse trim will be white, roof dark brown.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Contractor and workers are still here. Worked till 8pm last nite. When they turned the power out Monday to put the wellhouse wiring thru the siding the main breaker on the pole went out. It was rotted. My power Co Ozarks Electric changed it although it was my part--below the meter for $270 at 10PM.

My wife called Ozarks yesterday and gave the installers a good word. $270 was the cost of the part. They also wired a separate breaker for the wellhouse and another circuit for any future additions. The wellhouse was rigged--wires jammed directly into 200A service

It fried my new heat pump thermostat. My HVAC installer Paschal heat and air changed it as warranty today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well, we're in a slow down right now. One of the worker's family passed away and he's out of town with his son and wife who were also working on my project. The contractor and his wife have been working on the wellhouse and have it ready for spray insulation. Finished wiring it today. They were making good progress as the weather has gotten nicer. I hope to have them on full force next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Wow your place is looking great!
Won't be long now at it will be completed. I bet that cost you a pretty penny. Property tax increase?

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Wow your place is looking great!
Won't be long now at it will be completed. I bet that cost you a pretty penny. Property tax increase?
Thanks man! Who's gonna tell them? :tango_face_wink:

When we get done we will have insurance take a look at it to make sure we're covered.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Steve,

Looking good, I like the color.

CCMoe
Thank you sir. We love the look. Still need to pick a front door color. Wife wants red, I'm thinking blue.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Thank you sir. We love the look. Still need to pick a front door color. Wife wants red, I'm thinking blue.
Is it a steel door?

We always took them to a body shop to have them painted with automotive paint, holds up much better.

Dark colors get hot in the sun also.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Is it a steel door?

We always took them to a body shop to have them painted with automotive paint, holds up much better.

Dark colors get hot in the sun also.

CCMoe
It is. I can paint it with acrylic enamel. I even have some Porsche Guards red left over from when I painted my Camaro.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Everything's been shut down this week except for 2 sub-contractors. Contractor and family are at a religious retreat this week. Did get the wellhouse insulated--spray foam, and the roll up door is installed.

Contractor will wrap the frame with aluminum. The overhead door Co was nice and left the nails on the sill sticking out most of the way so the contractor could remove the seals and install the aluminum wrap.

Our little dog has developed a mischievous nature about her. She likes to sneak up behind the contractors and unleash all at once. Goes from dead silent to ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh! in 1 second. Wife swears the dog laughs when they jump out of thir skin lol.

Attachments

·
15,000 +posts!
19,768 Posts
I've seen videos of dogs doing that to cats..sneak up behind them and WHOOF--and all the cats spring up into the air !..:D

I had a friend who had a very attractive girlfriend--one day she got her hand injured at her work,ended up losing her pinky finger on her right hand..she was very upset over that,and I cant say I blamed her,she was beautiful..

To help her keep her mind off her pain and loss while she recovered,he bought her a chihuahua ,which she immediately fell in love with..

He had a late 70's Pontiac Firebird at the time,one night I was at the gas station he worked at (his dad owned it),and she was sitting in the car,with the dog on her lap..

After awhile,my friend and I went into the garage bay to look at a car he was fixing,and the girlfriend followed us into the building..the dog began whining,and she told it to "hush"..we heard it make a sad groan,and it laid back down in the rear seat..

A few minutes later a guy pulls in to get some gas--I filled the tank,so my friend could keep working on the car...the guy got out and sees the Firebird,and says "Oh wow--thats a nice car!..I had one a lot like it!...and he walked over to it after I was done filling his tank and was walking towards the office to get his change..

He was going on & on about how fast his was,how many other cars he beat in stoplight drag races,etc,and the whole time I could see the dog standing up trying to see over the front seats,with its teeth bared..ready to strike!..he didn't see it though..

The dog didn't make one peep ,until he went to lean into the open window,and put his arm on the door--the dog suddenly leaped into the front seat and let out the loudest bark-,just as you described,and the poor guy almost wet himself,I swear he came two feet off the ground!..it was so funny,all of us cracked up laughing so hard we choked!..the customer didn't think it was so funny though..and like you said,the dog seemed to be laughing too,he knew what he was doing!..:D..

That dog did much the same thing one night,when we went across the street to a K-Mart store,to see if they had a distributor cap for a car that had barely made it to the station..

The girlfriend took the dog ,and we saw a "No Dogs Allowed" sign on the door..
So my friend took it,and stuffed it down his hoodie sweat shirt,that was tucked in his pants,and zipped it up,and we went in the store..

After we had found the distributor cap & rotor kit we needed,we went to the cash register,paid for it,and started to walk towards the exit,when a man I had noticed seemed to be watching us as we walked thru the store,suddenly blocked our paths,and said "I'm sorry,but your going to have to come with me",and he flashed a badge at us!..

We followed him to a room ,and he closed the door,my friend got angry and said "Hey,what is this ?--why are we being held hostage here "?..
The man says "suspicion of shoplifting"..
My friend says "We haven't STOLEN anything !-heck,I just PAID for what I bought!"..

The man wasn't impressed--he walks over to my friend and says "Oh yeah ?--then what do you have in HERE ?...and he unzips the hoodie!..

The dog pops its head out and BA- RUF-RUH_RUH_RUF!...the guy almost had a heart attack!..again,it was SO funny,we all couldn't stop laughing!--but he wasn't amused!..
He told us "Dont you READ,the sign says "NO DOGS ALLOWED"..then he told us to get the (bleep) outta here !...:D

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I've seen videos of dogs doing that to cats..sneak up behind them and WHOOF--and all the cats spring up into the air !..:D

I had a friend who had a very attractive girlfriend--one day she got her hand injured at her work,ended up losing her pinky finger on her right hand..she was very upset over that,and I cant say I blamed her,she was beautiful..

To help her keep her mind off her pain and loss while she recovered,he bought her a chihuahua ,which she immediately fell in love with..

He had a late 70's Pontiac Firebird at the time,one night I was at the gas station he worked at (his dad owned it),and she was sitting in the car,with the dog on her lap..

After awhile,my friend and I went into the garage bay to look at a car he was fixing,and the girlfriend followed us into the building..the dog began whining,and she told it to "hush"..we heard it make a sad groan,and it laid back down in the rear seat..

A few minutes later a guy pulls in to get some gas--I filled the tank,so my friend could keep working on the car...the guy got out and sees the Firebird,and says "Oh wow--thats a nice car!..I had one a lot like it!...and he walked over to it after I was done filling his tank and was walking towards the office to get his change..

He was going on & on about how fast his was,how many other cars he beat in stoplight drag races,etc,and the whole time I could see the dog standing up trying to see over the front seats,with its teeth bared..ready to strike!..he didn't see it though..

The dog didn't make one peep ,until he went to lean into the open window,and put his arm on the door--the dog suddenly leaped into the front seat and let out the loudest bark-,just as you described,and the poor guy almost wet himself,I swear he came two feet off the ground!..it was so funny,all of us cracked up laughing so hard we choked!..the customer didn't think it was so funny though..and like you said,the dog seemed to be laughing too,he knew what he was doing!..:D..

That dog did much the same thing one night,when we went across the street to a K-Mart store,to see if they had a distributor cap for a car that had barely made it to the station..

The girlfriend took the dog ,and we saw a "No Dogs Allowed" sign on the door..
So my friend took it,and stuffed it down his hoodie sweat shirt,that was tucked in his pants,and zipped it up,and we went in the store..

After we had found the distributor cap & rotor kit we needed,we went to the cash register,paid for it,and started to walk towards the exit,when a man I had noticed seemed to be watching us as we walked thru the store,suddenly blocked our paths,and said "I'm sorry,but your going to have to come with me",and he flashed a badge at us!..

We followed him to a room ,and he closed the door,my friend got angry and said "Hey,what is this ?--why are we being held hostage here "?..
The man says "suspicion of shoplifting"..
My friend says "We haven't STOLEN anything !-heck,I just PAID for what I bought!"..

The man wasn't impressed--he walks over to my friend and says "Oh yeah ?--then what do you have in HERE ?...and he unzips the hoodie!..

The dog pops its head out and BA- RUF-RUH_RUH_RUF!...the guy almost had a heart attack!..again,it was SO funny,we all couldn't stop laughing!--but he wasn't amused!..
He told us "Dont you READ,the sign says "NO DOGS ALLOWED"..then he told us to get the (bleep) outta here !...:D
That's hilarious. We've taught this one from a pup to NOT be a yapper. Always got on to her when she barks in the house--"No barking in the house!" So she doesn't. She knows she can bark outside though.

She loves the contractor and especially his wife and wants to go see them when they are here. She does not like a teenage boy that works with them and will scare the crap out of him every time he steps in the back yard doing the surprise bark behind him.

She runs out the dog door and sneaks up behind him every time she sees him--ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh! Wife thinks it's funny but I get on to her for it. He's tried to make friends with her but she just doesn't like him.

·
Registered
473 Posts
When I had my business I had a shop cat, a longhaired female Persian "Rina"...very smart cat.
One day these two big muscular guys walked in, leaned over the counter talking to me about something.
Out of the corner of my eye I could see Rina sneaking along the top shelf way up high...sneaking toward counter.
All at once she jumped down between the guys. I swear I never saw them move...all I heard was the front door go "bam!". I walked outside, guys were white as sheets, hands over their hearts.
"Hoo-wee...what the [email protected]&& was that!!!!!" One guy finally said.
I said that's our attack cat.
Funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

Sent from my Bell Rotary

41 - 60 of 100 Posts