My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been renovating my 1992 United-built home for a few years now. New windows, floors, drywall texture and paint inside. Now comes the outside. My 24'x24' separate garage will be connected to the house(10x24ft addition) expanding it to 24'x34' and all siding on the house and new addition will be replaced with Edco steel 6" lap in Cedarwood HD color. This is contracted out, not being done by me.

My current rotting 14'x10' wellhouse will be demolished and replaced with an insulated steel 12x20 garage with an 8' roll up door.

I've been cutting limbs and trees around the house preparing for this for a month or so.

There's a pic of the Cedarwood siding attached that's not my house. Currently have part of the alum soffit up and footings dug for the garage addition and wellhouse expansion.

Attachments

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,854 Posts
Wow, nice big project list, but they all start with some prep work. I'll be interested in seeing the new siding, your current siding looks pretty good to me.

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, nice big project list, but they all start with some prep work. I'll be interested in seeing the new siding, your current siding looks pretty good to me.
The current masonite siding is rotting and flaking apart. I'm pretty stoked at this remodel although things are torn to hades right now. Theres a local fire station that has the Cedarwood Edco siding on it. Wife and I went and looked at it and it looks great.

I'm getting rid of all the masonite. All trim will be aluminum, siding steel. No more painting for a long time.

Attachments

·
10,655 Posts
Does your garage line up with the corner of your house? I can’t tell from the pic. That is going to be a nice addition. I had a 28’ deep garage at my last place, I miss the extra depth.

Does the well house need roof access for possible repairs?

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Steve,

I don't know about the new siding, why do you want those red dots on your house!

Masonite siding was a bad idea when it came out but was a quick cover, they sold lots of it.

Shingles look brown in one pic and grey in another, are they a multicolor blend?

It will look good once completed and not going outside to get in the garage will be a plus, chances are the insurance agent will gig you for attached garage though. They do around here.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does your garage line up with the corner of your house? I can’t tell from the pic. That is going to be a nice addition. I had a 28’ deep garage at my last place, I miss the extra depth.

Does the well house need roof access for possible repairs?
Garage perfectly lines up with the house.
I hadnt thought about the attic space in the wellhouse if thats what you are asking. The one in the pics is getting torn down. I'll ask the builder about the attic space in the new one.
Steve,

I don't know about the new siding, why do you want those red dots on your house!

Masonite siding was a bad idea when it came out but was a quick cover, they sold lots of it.

Shingles look brown in one pic and grey in another, are they a multicolor blend?

It will look good once completed and not going outside to get in the garage will be a plus, chances are the insurance agent will gig you for attached garage though. They do around here.

CCMoe
Lol. Red dots are clickable on Edcos website and tell you what the siding is.
The house has brown roof shingles, wellhouse has gray. I had hail damage and knew I would be tearing the wellhouse down so didnt have them replaced when the house was done.

My FIL worked for Meeks for years and told me they would do a run of Masonite that didnt meet spec and would sell it cheap. It was color marked on the end as a second. Builders would snap it up quick and use it. The home buyer was none the wiser and ended up with junk.

·
10,655 Posts
I was wondering if the roof of the pump house needed to be removable, to facilitate future repairs.

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was wondering if the roof of the pump house needed to be removable, to facilitate future repairs.
Oh no. The stem is outside. Inside is pressure tank and filters only. No crane work needs to be done inside.

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Got the tree next to the wellhouse down. Cabled it, wedge cut it and pulled it down. Second pic is the narrow window I dropped it thru

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
Steve,

Looking forward to watching this, how did you go about picking Adco for your siding?
I'm curious as I also am thinking steel. Did they send you any samples.

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve,

Looking forward to watching this, how did you go about picking Adco for your siding?

Dan
I told my builder I wanted steel. Don't want to ever mess with it again. My builder sent me to his supplier who gave me a sample and sent me to a fire station that had the Cedarwood HD siding on it.

I talked to Edco via email and they referred me to a local rep who also emailed me and answered my questions. Send them an email via their website if you need info. I'm using single 6" siding. My sample below.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The contractor was talking about leaving the wellhouse up until after they had poured the footing so that's why I cut that tree down. I didn't want to drop it on new concrete work. Well, They tore it down yesterday. Meh, it was good practice on dropping trees where I wanted to.

It's been infested with wasps for years and they said it had nests in it 3ft long but only ~25 wasps.

They are working on the alum soffit. They covered my existing soffit vents in the front porch covering and I told them that's all the ventilation that space had. They asked if they could put them back in the porch area to avoid cutting the new soffit material up and I said OK. Anyone see any problem with this solution?

Still mulling around making cedar shutters after the siding install. I'm def leaving the plastic louvered shutters off as I think they look cheap. Imma decide after the siding install if I want to mess with it. Any ideas for a front door color?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Boy Randy your place is coming right along nicely!
Nice pics of the project. It is sure going to be nice once it is done.
Keep posting progress pics for us.

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boy Randy your place is coming right along nicely!
Nice pics of the project. It is sure going to be nice once it is done.
Keep posting progress pics for us.
Thanks Don. Shut down this week for rain. Really need some dry weather so they can do concrete work

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Slab addition for the new wellhouse is done. They will do the concrete work for the garage to house connection today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steve,

Dan
Dan, the Edco siding came in today. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks and glad I sprung for the added cost of the HD vs the solid colors. Here are a few pics.

Contractor started framing the wellhouse today.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Randy you won't recognize your place when you drive up now!
Looking good!!!

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking good!!!
I know Don. This place is gonna look so good when it's done. That siding is gonna make this house go from drab to pop! I don't know what the garage extension is gonna make the house size look like. Prolly a bit bigger plus 24x34' garage will be nice. :tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Looking good!!!
I know Don. This place is gonna look so good when it's done. That siding is gonna make this house go from drab to pop! I don't know what the garage extension is gonna make the house size look like. Prolly a bit bigger plus 24x34' garage will be nice.
Sure sounds nice to me. I just weed eated and mowed and i thought my place was looking good, but you are living the dream my man!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts