My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey guys, I was just cutting my grass and the XXXX drive belt snapped and took out that clutch engagement bracket, its all bent to XXXX.....the problem is I just got the tractor and have no clue how the clutch is supposed to be set up.

Wondering if someone could send some pictures of what the bracket should look like and how it is installed. Also a picture of it engaged and not in engaged would be great! Thanks guys

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Perhaps you did not notice but at the top of the forum's main page are two stickies. One has all kinds of Service Manuals in it, including one for the clutch. That's the baby you need to download and print out so you can read it, then read it, then read it again until you fully understand how to go about dismantling your clutch.

If the throwout fork is bent, then my advice is to replace it with a NEW one from bhildret, a member of this forum. Used forks are worn forks and may not work properly when you get them. That would just make things worse for you because you would not know whether you did something wrong with the rest of the clutch.

Don't make yourself crazy here. Spring for a new fork so you know what you've got. Clutches are enough of a mystery without having dicey throw-out forks.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Thanks Terry, mine doesn't look like that anymore LOL
Is your fork the only thing that is messed up, or did it get the engagement rod also. I have a good one of each if you need them. Otherwise, like castoff said, you can get a new fork from bhildret.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is your fork the only thing that is messed up, or did it get the engagement rod also. I have a good one of each if you need them. Otherwise, like castoff said, you can get a new fork from bhildret.
Yep the engagement arm is gone also. Do you have all the springs/washer/etc that connect the arm to the pto fork? Please PM with details, thanks

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Is this common when a belt goes to F up all this stuff??? This sucks.......
Can`t answer that but, unless your belt was in really poor shape, I`d be investigating any other issues that may have caused it to fail. Hate to put a nice new belt on and repeat the problem due to an overlooked pulley/tensioner/bearing etc.
Even if it doesn`t cause collateral damgage, you`re still out $30
Not to mention, you`re gonna be forking mad

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
grebes.
if you want some new/ used parts you must list the model and s.n. of your tractor.
there are at least two different lengths of forks that i know of. ( poss. more)
good luck. boomer

·
Registered
583 Posts
When the friction material on the clutch pulley has worn beyond the minimum servicable thickness then the clutch pulley itself will bottom out on the spacing washers and the clutch will slip. When the clutch slips it caused lots of heat which in turn will overheat the drive belt causing it to get thinner and longer and eventually failure. There is no set dimension for minimum friction disc thickness, but if the friction plate has turned blue then the clutch problem must be diagnosed and corrected.
The friction disc is replacable and the instructions must be followed in order to have successful adhesion. My 1985 448 has 2,100 hours and two years ago I replaced the original disc. I R&R the bearings at 500 hour intervals and any other parts that look or are out of tolerance or corroded such as the spacer washers.
When these EZ Adjust Clutches are maintained they are probably the most durable clutch found on any piece of power equipment so far. My 4018 is on it's 3rd electric PTO clutch in 400 hours with one clutch having been damaged from mower deck sudden stoppage as result of picking up a long piece of chain.
Bob MacGregor in CT:Stop::banghead3:fam32::bump9:

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Page 6 of clutch supplemental manual 9-51083 recommends replacing the friction material if it`s less than 1/8th in thickness or glazed.

Gives detailed instructions for set-up, have never had to use it but SOMEDAY the $4.95 will seem money VERY well spent:thThumbsU

EDIT: I see the manual is viewable in the sticky at the top of this page..
Well, DUH, sorry missed that. However I still recommend ordering all the manuals that apply from our friend "bhildret". Collect the whole set today !
JMO, as I prefer having the printed version in the "garage library"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts