My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks in advance for any assistance as I have goofed up.

Well I had heard about other people loosing their files in their computer, but after owning several computers, backing up most of my files on other drives and never loosing any files ........ I lost part of my files a week ago including the fairly extensive file(s) on RPM and Lawn Boy that I had compiled including the history that I have been working intently over the last few months, but neglected to keep a copy on a flash drive or other storage methods ......whata a mistake.......I lost a bunch of information on RPM and Lawn Boy......plus the notes on all of the interviews that I had done with former RPM and Lawn Boy employees and their contact information, also inducing several dozen people that are on this forum that I had contacted privately and talked to about vintage RPM and Lawn Boy mowers. I could kick myself for not backing these up, but my computer that I lost the files on was only about 8 months old.....had Windows 8 .........very fast ....huge storage.....yada yada and not ever having problems with loosing files I got too complacent about the matter of backing up files on a regular basis.

To make a long story short I have now learned the hard way to back up my files on a very regular basis......the problem started when I deleted several items in my email......then began my monthly routine of computer maintenance to delete other old files, scan for problems with a couple of my tried and true programs that I have used for years and found everything clean .....no malware, etc. and then, defrag// yada yada and for some reason my computer froze for a few seconds and I reached up and turned the tower off manually ...... again I had no viruses or other problems, but after it froze I could not get it to reboot so I went to systems restore and instead of doing as I usually do and take my computer back a few days I hit some kind of microsoft "refresh" program button thinking that the word refresh was rather bland, but man was I wrong and that without going into more great detail it for some reason presented me with the very basics of Windows.......all of my favorites were gone......and on and on.........so I turned it over to some excellent tech and the tech people tell me that the some of the files were there, but garbled or something that were unreadable ..... so they had to wipe my computer and re-install all of Windows 8 again without my files. They kept a copy of the garbled files, but what good are they? Windows 8 literature states that "refresh" will not delete your files so I did something more that refresh as mine are unusable.

I have my files backed through about 6 months or so ago, but nothing current of which my main Lawn Boy files were located.....I am currently looking for a 4G flash drive that I may have some of them on, but I have been so busy compiling information that I neglected transferring / backing up that information to a safe place. What a dumb mistake and I am not blaming Microsoft, but Windows 8 has caused me nothing but problems being that I am so accustom to their old programs like my old XP professional..... I am not the only one that doesn't like Windows 8 ..... to begin with there is no conventional "Start Button" in the lower left of the screen......and the list goes on and on with some of us old timers that consider it to be very user un-friendly.......anyhoos I digress......

Here is what I need ........ If I have talked to you on the phone or if we have exchanged information via email or on this forum would you please resend your contact info to me at my email address which is [email protected] as I need to rebuild that contact information and then I may need for you to send me any information that I sent you in order to rebuild my files........

I still have a good memory and over the next few months I will try to put together information concerning my interviews with the former RPM and Lawn Boy employees that I conducted.....thanks again for any assistance.

I was using these files on a few post that I have made including these and others:

"New Old Guy - Old Lawn Boys" -http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=363489&highlight=

"Thoughts on Future Vintage Lawn Boy Topics" - http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=368969&highlight=

"Discussion of the Rotary Power Mower (RPM) company history from 1946 - 1952" - http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=392161&highlight=

Thanks ~ Dan Wyatt

· Registered
237 Posts
Even though the hard drive has been wiped and windows 8 reinstalled, it might be possible to recover some files still, The files do not go away when deleted unless they are written over.

I use Recuva File Recovery, might be a long shot, however it's a free program, nothing to lose.

If you know what format the files where in you can narrow down the search by scanning for say word documents only.

In the past, just for fun, I used the program on a few "Formatted" hard drives from ebay and normally can get pictures, text documents, and other things that where on the drive before.

· Registered
2,352 Posts
It might be expensive but there are places that do recovery work like this. There are people the can get information off of drives that have been wiped clean. Not sure how but they can. You see that being done for criminal investigations. So they should be able to do something. Just finding the right company or people could be tough. Start searching!

· Registered
237 Posts
It might be expensive but there are places that do recovery work like this. There are people the can get information off of drives that have been wiped clean. Not sure how but they can. You see that being done for criminal investigations. So they should be able to do something. Just finding the right company or people could be tough. Start searching!
To send the drive in to do file recovery, the best thing to do is contact your hard drive manufacturer and see who they recommend. Be prepared to spend $300 - $1500.

A few years back our external hard drive got knocked off a shelf and caused the drive to fail. If I remember correctly it was a base charge of $400 plus $50 per GB of data recovered. Seems high, but the pictures from when my dad served in Iraq where priceless to him.

Sent from the MTF Free App

· Lawn Boy
1,598 Posts
A lot of times the data is still on the drive and good, but it's the windows boot sector that gets messed up and the drive appears to be bricked -- but in reality the drive just doesn't know how to tell windows to boot up anymore.

NewEgg and TigerDirect and a few others sell USB adapters that let you plug your hard drive in to another computer as if it were an external drive and you can just go in and rescue your files, easy peasy. The trick is finding them... but it can be done.

Dan, I sent you an email... let me know if you want some help with recovery.

· Registered
237 Posts
A lot of times the data is still on the drive and good, but it's the windows boot sector that gets messed up and the drive appears to be bricked -- but in reality the drive just doesn't know how to tell windows to boot up anymore.

NewEgg and TigerDirect and a few others sell USB adapters that let you plug your hard drive in to another computer as if it were an external drive and you can just go in and rescue your files, easy peasy. The trick is finding them... but it can be done.

Dan, I sent you an email... let me know if you want some help with recovery.
No need to hook it up externally, The drive has been wiped and is in the computer(with a fresh install of windows 8 on it), A simple file recovery program is all that is needed to see if any can be recovered.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have ran Recuva several times using Recuva Wizard.....then when asked "what sort of files are you trying to recover" and I select documents..... to search for files as documents, but don't know how to operate it very well. I probably need to go back and read the tutorial again.

I found what looks to be administrative files and all of the other files wouldn't open or looked like they were encrypted. I also did a 4 hour deep scan with no luck, but again I don't think I knew what I was doing. I may need to do a deep scan search for the term "Lawn Boy"

On one search I received the following message at the bottom of the page, but the file results area was blank.

NTFS, 911 GB. cluster size: 4096. file record size: 1024 found 0 files in 7.49 seconds

advance mode 207,957 files were found

Partial good news.......I found a small Lawn Boy file in my old computer that will give me a very narrow beginning on "building" another larger LB file.

Thanks ~ Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.