My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something in the trigger assembly itself.
The Air just flows through the gun....in the air fitting and right through the trigger, and out the vent at the big end of the Air cylinder.
I soaked the trigger with Power steering fluid tonite.

Have any of you had this experience?

They only break when your using em'

·
Just Evil
903 Posts
If its leaking air out the exhaust without the trigger being pulled then it sounds like the head valve is stuck. Take the 4 bolts out that hold the head on and pull it off. Turn the head upside down and with your thumbs push on the head valve and release to see if it moves up and down in the head freely. If it does not then you need remove the head valve from the head and clean it it up, check the valve and the head for damage. Clean or replace the o-rings on the head valve and relubricate them with a light coating of vasoline or some air tool oil before reassembling.

Here is where you can find the parts schematics http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/
In the upper left corner where it says Find it now! type in your model # and then click on the little magnifying glass. You said it was a framing nailer so I'm assuming it is a FR350, FR350A, or maybe an FC350?

Main reason for these nail guns to fail is moisture and rust buildup in the air compressor tanks. Air compressor tanks need to be drained on a regular basis. On some portable compressors they recomend daily or every 4 hours of use. Keeping the moisture out of the compressor tanks helps prevent rust build up in the tanks and also prevents pressure regulator failures. And keep the nail guns well oiled, not drowned with oil but more than just a couple of drops of air tool oil.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that quick response. What the heck are you doing up at this time of the morning?:duh:

It may have been moisture, I dont really know, but recently I drained my tank and it ran water for five minutes or so.
I hope your right.
I had trouble following your description by part name. I'll have to get the number, go to your link, identify those parts and then do what you suggest.
I sure hope its not something in that Trigger. I dont have Roll punches to take that Trigger assembly apart.
I'll come back later on today.

·
Just Evil
903 Posts
Thanks for that quick response. What the heck are you doing up at this time of the morning?:duh:

Sleep deprivation? :biglaugh: Just kiddin. I woke up around 5:20am

It may have been moisture, I dont really know, but recently I drained my tank and it ran water for five minutes or so.
I hope your right.
I had trouble following your description by part name. I'll have to get the number, go to your link, identify those parts and then do what you suggest.
I sure hope its not something in that Trigger. I dont have Roll punches to take that Trigger assembly apart.
I'll come back later on today.
Yeah, when you get to looking at the parts break down pics at that link look at the description names of the parts. The head valve looks similar to a piston and usually has 3 o-rings on it (2 on the outside and 1 inside) the head valve piston also has a hole in the center of it where the top bumper is for the driver piston to hit when the driver comes back up after being fired.
It is a common problem that happens with these nail guns for that head valve piston to get stuck. And like I mentioned before its usually due to moisture in the compressor tanks.

A good way to prevent those problems besides draining the tank on a regular basis is to install a moisture seperator where the air line connects to the compressor. Its an added expense but it saves on the tools. Not really needed though if you drain the tank regularly.

Good luck. I'll try to check back later to see how you made out.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awrite for Jed! He's the experience and the brains.

That Link got me the two downoads I needed. The parts breakdown and the List. The printing was blotchy, but in the end I figured out what the Head Piston was and sure enough it was cocked sideways.

There was plenty of Lube in there though. I worked with it and still it stuck. I pulled it out, pulled the O-rings off and I think that was the problem. I swapped em' from thier positions and it went to work.

Now that I know what to do, I'll get new O-rings.
Also the Hammer shaft and piston had a rough spot in it about an inch down from the top of travel. I never found that but the Gun dont seem to notice.

I got my plates and Rafters (all but one) up this afternoon.
Thanks a bunch.

·
Just Evil
903 Posts
Glad to be of some help. Thats my regular job, tool and equipment repair.
Good to hear you got it working again :fing32: . Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts