My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just a Tinkerer
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal, I have a Parrot Drone that connects to my iPhone. Think helicopter but with four independent blades - quadihelicopter. It has it's own on board wi-fi that my phone connects too and then by tilting my phone I can control it. It has two on board cams, one in front and one underneath.

I'm still trying to find an app that allows better video quality, however, I did record the big JD in the back field. Not sure what implement he was hauling, but maybe a wheat planter? Dunno.

The vid isn't good but heck, it was fun.

SO ENJOY

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
Ahhhh, those are "Mid Size" here in Texas. The "Big" ones will block a 4 lane Highway. I am more interested in your Drone! I saw a Vid of one our SWAT folks were looking at. I'd get in trouble for sure with one of those. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Looks like an 8000 series, but maybe a large frame 7000. I am interested in the drone as well, I had no idea such a device existed but it sounds like it'd be a blast to play with.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Do more on the Parrot. Moving this to the Hobby Forum. That Parrot is really cool! How far can it fly away from you? Looked like a Wheat Drill.

·
Just a Tinkerer
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks SonnyT

The listed range is 160' though I certainly don't want to try reaching the limits. It does have a "fail/safe" in that once it loses it's wi-fi connection to my iPhone, it turns itself off. To me, that's a problem. IF I commanded it to RISE to the 160 foot limit and it loses connection, I can't imagine what it would look like after hitting the ground from a 160 foot drop. lol

You can fly this thing indoors or outdoors. I've only flown it once without it's "protection hull" which surrounds the four props and the drone itself. (I've attached a picture of the drone - without the protective hull and then with the protective hull).

Attachments

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I watched all the videos on the parrot site. I wondered why they didn't try adding a large non-powered rotor blade to let the rig auto-rotate down if you ran it out of juice or out of range. Not an aeronautical engineer, but isn't that how auto-gyros work?

·
Just a Tinkerer
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would think so. But this thing sure is FUN!!!!

The only big downside i see to it right now is that the stock battery, which takes anywhere from 1.5 to 2.2 hours to recharge, only lasts for about 10 or 11 minutes. (I should mention also that IF it's the least bit windy outside, it's real hard to control it - but then heck, just go inside and fly it in the house.)

I ordered two batteries tonite which will last for 20 mins each, along with a "fast charger" that recharges them in 45 minutes.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts