My Tractor Forum banner
161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I got a call from "Amazon" at 6 pm last night--robotic voice wants to know if I approved a 900 something dollar purchase..
I hung up...I have no Amazon account or even a credit card..
Googled the phone number,it came back to a local resident in my town,listed as being 104 years old..(wit some younger relatives at the same address)..

SIGH..

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I just love messing with them. Today cell rings while I'm "riding the bus", credit card scam. Wait I say, and the Indian waits. I'm making noises... then holler "Timmy...get pa-pa's credit card."
Scammer waits while listening to my "music". Finally "I know it's bad in here Timmy, turn on the fan & spray". (I'm trying not to laugh...idiot's still waiting). Ok...I make up 16 numbers, Visa starts with 4.
Then "hold on"...(more noises).
Then I ask him if he ever had a really bad burrito.
"Number doesn't match" Indian says.
"Timmy...get my glasses."
Finally the scammer screams, cusses and hangs up.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
I was in a patient room today and saw how this goes wrong. 80 year old female patient's phone gets a text. She asks me to look at it because she doesn't know how to respond.

It says "Your package from USPS couldn't be delivered, please click here(sketchy link) or call this number."

I told her it was a scam and she said "Surely they wouldn't lie about working for the post office would they?"

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
People with security cameras at home can be accesses by anyone.

That may be true as quite a few people install something like cameras and baby monitors and only use the standard factory set up which has virtually no safeguards for anything. The Internet Of Things (IOT) got quite a bit of publicity a few years back detailing just how poor the security of the systems were.
Easiest thing to do is simply change the password from the standard.

5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 · (Edited)
The scammers stop calling for a while now they started back up. I answered a couple calls and now the big scam is medicare calling. My gosh, they are bombing me. I say just say send me an email I'm busy right now.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
Just start talking to them about Elvis, act like you're a huge fan. Redirect the conversation to Elvis when they try to go back to scamming. Could be fun.

Reactions: Sevenhills1952
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
I've been getting bogus texts about I won some money. I just block them. One was from a power ball winner. lol Another was from McDonalds. I am sure they want personal info to receive the money. These scammers are trying soo hard. My block list is over 500 numbers.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,560 Posts
I've been getting bogus texts about I won some money. I just block them. One was from a power ball winner. lol Another was from McDonalds. I am sure they want personal info to receive the money. These scammers are trying soo hard. My block list is over 500 numbers.
I think I have you beat! Mine is just over 1200 of various combinations (using a product called PhoneTray)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Got a text scam yesterday,
" you have qualified for a gouverment covid tax rebate of $45, click her to deposit your money" Yes, that was haw government was spelled. On a whim I typed the address from the link into my address bar and it came up an Al Jazera website. go figure..............Mike

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I think I have you beat! Mine is just over 1200 of various combinations (using a product called PhoneTray)
That's problematic with spoofing since the scammer can use any number. We got a scam call with my Mother's phone number showing on caller i.d.
Blocking numbers isn't the solution except in cases where the scammer calls from a legitimate number which happens rarely.
We get fewer calls since I mess with them.
Now I string them along, then lower the boom saying they've reached the FCC office, this call has been recorded, traced and hope they enjoy their prison stay.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,560 Posts
That's problematic with spoofing since the scammer can use any number. We got a scam call with my Mother's phone number showing on caller i.d.
Blocking numbers isn't the solution except in cases where the scammer calls from a legitimate number which happens rarely.
We get fewer calls since I mess with them.
Now I string them along, then lower the boom saying they've reached the FCC office, this call has been recorded, traced and hope they enjoy their prison stay.

I understand that very well, but it is very flexible system, I do look at the numbers in google and other search engines looking for any way to get an edge up and it does work. I get about one a day that gets through out of 30 in a day.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,560 Posts
Is that an android phone app?
There are various apps for cell phones, check with your service provider for which ones they support or recommend, the ones that come to mind for me are Nomorobo and RoboKiller, since they log numbers and info on those who break the "Do Not Call List" and from just pain scammers/spammers. Also look into your service provider on the implementation of a program called "Stir & Shake", which goes into deep phone call data "fingerprint" looking for proper matching details that make a phone call legit versus spam/scam

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I do look at the numbers in google
That is an exercise in futility as the sites do everything in their power to try to separate you from your money. They manipulate the search results and stuff phony data to make it look legit. Their SEO tactics push their results to the top where they displace possibly legitimate results.

IMHO SEOs are worse than spammers. You can block spam but not phony search results.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,560 Posts
That is an exercise in futility as the sites do everything in their power to try to separate you from your money. They manipulate the search results and stuff phony data to make it look legit. Their SEO tactics push their results to the top where they displace possibly legitimate results.

IMHO SEOs are worse than spammers. You can block spam but not phony search results.
You may have missed that I used other resources, but it is a place to start because there is garbage that is returned by them, then I move on to other more specific sites. It is like researching for college papers, which I hated, but now have some very specific places to go to if not happy with my shovel fulls in digging.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I understand that very well, but it is very flexible system, I do look at the numbers in google and other search engines looking for any way to get an edge up and it does work. I get about one a day that gets through out of 30 in a day.
I wrote my congressman about it (may be wasted time) but the real solution is to resolve it, arresting scammer criminals.
Blocking numbers, my opinion, is a bandaid approach. It would block a legitimate call while passing spoofed numbers.
We get very few now since I've been messing with them.
We got one yesterday from "Amazon Support". Indian accent guy said $1,100 was charged to my account. Wanted me to type www.anydesk.com on my computer. After making him scream he handed phone to "the head of Amazon". "How was your space flight?" I asked

161 - 180 of 180 Posts