My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a lot of home phone scams. Today was Amazon called and said my account has been compromised. They said " did I order Nike shoes for $229 to be sent other than my address". I said "no" and they said "my account has been breach". I said send me an email explaining it. Now these people know my name because they ask for it over the phone. They know my address because they said it to me. I started to believe them so I said send me an email and they said they couldn't so I hung up.

Another scam is the electric utility called and said they are going to turn my power off because I didn't pay them. I said How much do I owe. They said $245. I said that's impossible because I'm a prepaid customer for the year and hung up

A third scam is the social security administration. You know that story. They call once a week. about someone using my social number, I just hang up.

A fourth scam is these people calling about extending my car warranty. They call every week. I followed up with one call and said the car got traded in for a new one. They still call and I hang up.

A few years ago, my Mother was threaten over the phone if she didn't pay some money on one of these scams and fortunately the scammer got caught. He was leaving threats on her phone recorder with an address to mail the money. r

So I notice these people running these scams are speaking more clearly and distantly. They sound very polite and not like a person from another country, you know, like you can't understand them when they speak. Anyone could easily get fooled, so be careful. Some how they are preying on senior citizens. They may get a retirement community phone book and start calling or got a list of seniors in your area.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I love when they call. At first I explain this is my new phone but I'm interested in the car warranty, credit card zero interest, etc.
Then I give them fake everything, name, address, cc #, etc. To help waste their time I say "Timmy...get grandpa's wallet. Then hold on while I let the dog out, wait...Timmy get my glasses." On and on. The number doesn't match 'our records'...oh, Timmy, get my other glasses.
All this time it isn't wasted since I'm doing something else. That's time wasted for them so they can't be ripping off other people.
We get fewer of those calls now.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I 've gotten smart now. I ask for their number, because I'm on another line, so I can call them back and they refuse so I just hang up. Another time I played that song M C Hammer sings "Can't touch this" and they stayed on the line for like 4 minutes listening to the song.

5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most of the time I just hang up. Usually Verizon catches them from the thing I downloaded. It catches most of the calls and blocks their number. I only pick up after the fourth ring. If Verizon catches the robo call it will stop ringing after the first ring and get blocked.

5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to mention there is a vaccine scam going on where as people have to send money to get an appointment. People want a shot soo bad they may fall for it.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
On my AT&T landline phone, after I answer the call and they begin speaking, there is a button on the phone that allows me to block the number. Never hear from them again.

5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I have that on my cell phone. In fact, once you block them it says do I want to report them. I always press yes.

But see they are spoofing I believe its called. They are using some other number to call you. If you call them back the phone company says its a non working number.

·
Super Moderator
10,570 Posts
Hey Don..what is the thing you downloaded? We don't even answer the landline any more...always a phony call...and I don't have any way to block them..on my cell#, I just don't answer a # I don't recognize...then block it

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Florida used to have a website where you could report the calls to and they would actually take them to court. When they began spoofing, that pretty much went by the wayside.

5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Don..what is the thing you downloaded? We don't even answer the landline any more...always a phony call...and I don't have any way to block them..on my cell#, I just don't answer a # I don't recognize...then block it
I'm with Verizon on the home phone and they have a thing that picks up spam calls. If you have Verizon, you can sign into your account and set it up. The phone would ring once and be disconnected. It works most of the time. Plus you can set it up where as only certain people can call you. I turn that on and off all the time because I maybe expecting a calling from someone that's not in my contact list. Or we maybe expecting a fax from someone. I also have wake up service with them where as they call a certain time to wake you up.

Now my cell phone I can do the same thing that's with Verizon. If your not on my contact list it goes straight to voice mail. You don't hear it ring. Sometimes I take it off the "do not disturb" because I'm waiting for someone to call about an appointment for the vaccine or a food delivery I'm waiting on. A driver may call me. There's also a few apps you can download on your phone to block robo callers. Verizon has that Potential Spam for cell phones that blocks calls. On the Android which I have I must have blocked over 500 numbers so far.

Oh I forgot, like Flaken says I can do that too, when they call I can block them and once I block them I can report them to Verizon.

5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But, you know I don't have to answer the phone either because I have caller ID on both phones. But one day I regretted not answering the phone. It was someone that needed help.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
...there's also the Microsoft one "We noticed your computer has a virus, so we decided to phone to help you fix it." One of my dad's friends fell for it, but managed to cancel the charges to his credit card after I explained it was a scam.

5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dave, I forgot that one. I think there's a YouTube video where as some techy guy flipped it on the scammer and got control of his computer. I'm not sure its real. It seem real.

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Durango 4X4
371 Posts
We don't even answer the landline any more...always a phony call...and on my cell#, I just don't answer a # I don't recognize.

Do the EXACT same thing over here, we just let the house phone ring and don't even look at who calls then delete it. Same thing with the cell phone

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
...there's also the Microsoft one "We noticed your computer has a virus, so we decided to phone to help you fix it." One of my dad's friends fell for it, but managed to cancel the charges to his credit card after I explained it was a scam.
I really like that one! I always ask, "Do you know my computer uses Linux and not Windows? When they stutter to think of something to say, is when I laugh and hang up.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
There's no excuse for this crap and every state that it happens in like here 24/7/365 the Attorney General should be run outta town on a rail. Cant tell me there is nothing that can be done about it, problem is the old $$$ Buck-a-roo in their pockets I aint stupid, not as much as I may look anyway.
Strange how a person can say one threatening word over the phone about certain persons and your door will come down in a hour if not sooner but they cant stop this crap? Yea right and the world is flat to.
A bunch of bull and pocket lining and noone will ever tell me any different.
I get the same half a dozen calls every day about my vehicles "extended warranty" fixin to run out, I dont remember buying one for my truck but it must have costed a grip because my truck is a 2000 model lol!

·
Super Moderator
37,135 Posts
Actually a lot of these robo-calls and spam calls originate overseas, They spoof the local phone number that shows on caller ID and State Attorney Generals don't have much they can do to them. The Federal Government works with other countries to stop it but many countries can't be bothered looking for these operations. Here in the US they take down as many as they can:

FTC Busts Two Major Robocall Organizations Guilty Of Spamming People On Do Not Call Registry (hothardware.com)

FTC shuts down four major robocall operations (consumeraffairs.com)

5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They either spoof with some other number or people in other countries are using those overseas talk cards that you get in the gas station. Your caller ID shows a local number with the same exchange as yours. You think its a local business or neighbor because of the number looks identical to yours.

I'll never forget one time, the caller ID showed on my cell phone that was ringing , the same number as the phone. I don't know how they did that.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I get a lot of home phone scams. Today was Amazon called and said my account has been compromised. They said " did I order Nike shoes for $229 to be sent other than my address". I said "no" and they said "my account has been breach". I said send me an email explaining it. Now these people know my name because they ask for it over the phone. They know my address because they said it to me. I started to believe them so I said send me an email and they said they couldn't so I hung up.
I had the same call a while back but for $1100.00; they didn't have my name, address or any personal info and I didn't offer it. I told them I'd call my bank first then Amazon as I hung up.

We used to get the Microsoft call virus warning a lot but that has slacked off thank goodness.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts