My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been watching, reading, learning, from this site since my purchase of a X729 w/54" plow in Dec last year.

I cannot express how surprised I was at how much snow it could move. (I upgraded from an LA135 with a plow.)

The short story: I have a walkout basement, so I use it as a garage. I woke up one Jan morning to 2+ feet of snow. The pics chronicle my path to the driveway. Basically a lot of plowing and a hill to climb to get to the driveway, so I could start plowing. :)

I didn't take any in action pics unfortunately. I only posted this because I see people all the time asking about the snow moving capabilities of these tractors.

Like I said, it was it's first outing and I was very impressed.

The exit:

The left turn:

The hill:

The finished product:

The victor:

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
those x7 sure can push!

might run out of space to push too if the storms come fast and furious though... those x7s make amazing snowblower platforms too!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just mounted the 54" Snowblower :)

Also did the linear actuator modification for the deflector chute that I have seen in another thread.

I will upload a couple pics shortly...

·
Registered
69 Posts
impressive. I think to save money i will be getting the plow. I might try and get a snow blower when i find a good deal on a used one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as where to put snow...

I soon realized I didn't have room. So I always did one pass out of the driveway and pushed everything off the end where I have a hill. There was a lot of snow back there eventually.

This is the top of that hill, I just had to push everything off the end:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Great pics and thanks for sharing so have fun with it. slkpk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wow! That baby can move the snow. Thanks for the pictures of your setup, the snow and your good looking property.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the pics of the blower with the actuator and the switch. I put it under the hydraulic controls, it seems handy... I will see when it snows.

Also, it should be easier to get out of the basement the next time the snow flies.

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Quite a nice GT and blade and blower you have there! Don't need to ask you if you get enough snow to really work it!!!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Well you shouldn't have any issues about it getting chilled in an out building or garage . I d be a little worried about gas fumes inside the house ?

That's a great tractor and I know you will be taking good care of it , that it should last a life time and then some !

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Wow! Those pics are great. The tractor looks perfect and like it was earning its keep.

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on using the 54" blower vs 54" blade in different conditions.

I like the actuator switch position. Nice job with it!

:thanku:for sharing!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gas fumes... I do not actually run it in the basement.

I push it out, once the front end clears the threshold I fire it up (exhaust is in the front)

Same coming back in, back up till the rear tires are in, then push it the rest of the way.

The blower has made this a bit tougher, as it put a few extra pounds on the front. Wife says it is good for me, need to loose some weight anyway :)

The threshold is actually bolted to the floor with 5" concrete lag bolts so it can handle the weight... learned that the hard way.

The garage is full of other toys, so the tractor had to sleep in the basement.

Was looking at a nice shed... but it is handy working on it... so maybe not.

It is a ton of fun, can hardly wait till some snow falls so I can try out the blower.

To be honest, I am not sure i needed it. The plow worked very well, and the whole thing fit better with my parking situation... we shall see...

·
Registered
716 Posts
Nice set up! That's a nice looking actuator, what model is it? Looks like you moved alot of snow are you using any ballast and if so how much?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The actuator is: Firgelli Automations

Here is the parts list (minus the 1/4 bolts and washers)

4" Stroke High Speed 35lbs force Linear Actuator (FA-35-S-12-4) = $129.99
Actuator Electrical wiring and control kit (EL-KIT) = $18.00
Manual "Momentary" Rocker Switch (MAN-RS2) = $18.00

I actually order this one by accident first:

4" Stroke 150lb Force Linear Actuator (FA-150-S-12-4) = $119.99

But it was too slow, useable, but slow. I learned to late the less force, the faster it moves.

I chose this one after some research as it did not require any drilling and was literally a bolt on. However, I did force myself to cut the hole for the switch, I knew if I did it right it would look ok. I was more concerned with my usual outcome... a mess.

I use 6 of the John Deere 40Lb weights (240Lbs total)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Great looking tractor and work on the actuator. Thanks for the pics. :thThumbsU

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Great pics, thanks for taking the time to put them up. With the rear weight, HDAPs, and AWD, you will be unstoppable with the blower. Keep us posted.:fing32:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts