My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Stihl FS40C that I inherited from the last owner of this property which will not bump feed.

I followed the below instructions carefully over the years and no matter what it will not bump feed.

Instead of speculating and testing out ideas that people may have which can take weeks to get and then days to implement, I thought it might be a bright idea to just get a good Weed Eater and stop giving myself headaches.

Can anyone suggest a nice weed eater for those sorts of distances?

I am not opposed to fixing my stihl as a backup if any suggestions are provided.....BUT the stihl can be my backup.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
You want the best??? I have and am using almost right now an Earthquake M205 Wheeled string trimmer. 4-cycle 150cc engine, 15 inch wheels, uses 0.150 kevlar line.
I have over 350 feet of a severe sloped right of way that I mow with the 22 inch wide cutting path of the trimmer. Makes quick work of it and doesn't tax the upper body at all holding it for any length of time. The 0.150 line takes out just about anything from grass to very young saplings. With the wheels, one can easily cut a straight line or get very precise control for delicate trim work.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Maybe the head is fine but you wait too long to bump it? The bump feed relies on the centrifugal force exerted by the length of line to advance it. Other possibility is fusing of the line in which case you might try a different brand of line and/or reduce the RPM.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You want the best??? I have and am using almost right now an Earthquake M205 Wheeled string trimmer. 4-cycle 150cc engine, 15 inch wheels, uses 0.150 kevlar line.
I have over 350 feet of a severe sloped right of way that I mow with the 22 inch wide cutting path of the trimmer. Makes quick work of it and doesn't tax the upper body at all holding it for any length of time. The 0.150 line takes out just about anything from grass to very young saplings. With the wheels, one can easily cut a straight line or get very precise control for delicate trim work.
I will definitely check into this. Thanks for other suggestions folks. It really isn't a matter of bumping it enough. You can bump it a million times by hand and the string will never move not even once. :(

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use a Stihl string trimmer. Can't remember model but it's high end consumer grade. Has straight shaft and has worked quite well for me. As others have said it might be time for a new head. Not expensive or difficult to change. I have also ran a blade on mine for small trees.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I will definitely check into this. Thanks for other suggestions folks. It really isn't a matter of bumping it enough. You can bump it a million times by hand and the string will never move not even once. :(
I have had a number of Stilh trimmers and have had the same problem. I found it was the way I had the string wound and woun't feed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I burned up the head on my Snapper and figured it was done. Then I went shopping and ended up at a local huge ACE Hardware. Told the guy my story and he showed me a new bump feed head that took even larger string for only $30. It just screwed on. Now I have a "new" string trimmer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had a number of Stilh trimmers and have had the same problem. I found it was the way I had the string wound and woun't feed.
The thing is, I wound the string the way the guide did in the video probably about 20 times in it's life. I am going to go and get a new head like you all said...one that is an easy spool type and then (if possible try to re-string it). I'd rather pay more and not have to deal with this hassle all the time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track, a new head is cheap enough to try before buying new trimmer. Worst case it doesn't work and you have a spare head for new trimmer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like you're on the right track, a new head is cheap enough to try before buying new trimmer. Worst case it doesn't work and you have a spare head for new trimmer.
That is a good way to look at it I think.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Have a look at the Oregon Speed Feed head, so easy to load. You don't need to take anything apart once it is installed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Line up the holes, feed 20' of line halfway and twist. Much better than having to take it apart and wind a spool and put back together. The only time you need to take it apart is if the line breaks or snags inside.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all. I ordered a new head from Amazon without string to see what happens. Easy return if things don't go well. Otherwise, let's see what happens. Thanks for the additional pointers.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I have used about 7 different string trimmers over the last 4 decades. Most of them worked pretty well. Before I moved out to the country, I used corded electric ones (battery ones didn't really exist back then). I remember the B&D BrushHog with the auto feed head. It worked really well for me on grass, but having a cord is a real pain. I got a Stihl FS130 with bike handles. It worked really well with the blade, but using it with string was an exercise in frustration. I assumed it was because I wasn't bumping it frequently enough (and the string would break right at the exit point). I bought the auto feed version of the head (no bumping required). That was a little better but still broke the string too much. I then tried soaking the string, since nylon gets brittle when it dries out. That made a little difference, but I still didn't like it.

After years of hating to use the string trimmer, I bought the FS94R. The FS94R uses a real 2-stroke engine (as opposed to the 4-mix in the FS130). 2cycle engines have very little torque at low speed. The FS94R also has a knob that sets what speed full trigger does (it does have a more than full trigger position for when you need a little more). The combination of the 2cycle and speed control knob makes the FS94R a joy to use. It does not have enough torque to take advantage of my Power Scythe head (but I have the FS130 for that), but it works great with string.

I also have two of the Ego string trimmers, they work really well on grass and I have the EZ-Load head which works well (there is also the power load head, but the EZ works well for me). 1000' might be too much for the 2.5AH battery and it is not particularly light even with the harness.

Hopefully, the new head will solve your problem. The FS40C-E is an entry level trimmer. There is difference in the heads and capabilities of the entry level and commercial versions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you. I ended up with a Miluakee M18 Fuel trimmer and trimmer package for 300 bucks. Mows all 1000 feet with ease. I ordered the new head from Amazon but the wrong head came.

I could not be happier with the Miluakee!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Good that you like it. You must be cutting just grass. The M18 is likely much less powerful than the Ego that I have. But, as long as it does the job you need that is what matters. I have some M12 tools and like them a lot. But, I have Bosch for 18V and some older Porter-Cable. It is sometimes cheaper to get a new tool with batteries than new batteries for an old one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh yeah, it is JUST grass. I guess I can use my manual feed Stihl 40c if in a pinch, lol.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Im rocking a Stihl FS70R right now, I think this is my 6 or 7th season with it. Has been a good unit for me. Bump Feed works good, but if I break a line very short to the head I usually will just manually pull it and then all is well. Pay attention to how you wrap the line too.

Reactions: Lb6259

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I have wrapped it multiple times carefully and it is always the same. I have settled on it being an issue with the unit and/or design of the unit. Tons of reviews on their website indicate that users are having this problem. The response from customer service indicates over and over again that the unit must be bumped when running at full speed. Not sure if that is the remedy but either way I can just manually feed it as I do not anticipate it being used very often now that I have the Milwaukee.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts