My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LI brush cut deck has some bad threads in the gear box and the bolts that attach the deck to the box can not be tightened properly. Is it coil insert time or is there a better way to repair this?

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Which holes exactly are we talking about? Pix?

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which holes exactly are we talking about? Pix?
The one that hold the deck plate to the gear box. This is the top picture. To much stuff to move to turn it 90° for the bottom picture. Right now its all dirty on count of the gear grease leaking out.
I have been getting the bolts as tight as possible them I can feel them slipping in the gear case. I dont feel at all good about bolts being thrown around by a spinning blade.

Attachments

·
2,795 Posts
While appreciated, that effort is not particularly informative. :ROFLMAO:

You need to flip it, get the bolts and deck off and show us what kind of meat we're working with.

But from what I can see I highly suspect there's room to go a size larger.

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While appreciated, that effort is not particularly informative. :ROFLMAO:

You need to flip it, get the bolts and deck off and show us what kind of meat we're working with.

But from what I can see I highly suspect there's room to go a size larger.
Sorry but not happening this evening. But yes I guess it needs to be done if for no other reason than to check to see if this is truly a housing thread problem and not just stripped bolt threads.

·
2,795 Posts
Well if you pull one bolt out you should get an idea of their state... we got time. 🍻

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
If a hex head bolt will be a problem going one or two sizes larger, an Allen head bolt would work.

I also downsize the flat washer to get it a better fit, for instance we are building a ton of sneeze guards on campus out of 1/8" polycarbonate sheets. I'm using 1/4 - 20 x 1/2" stove bolts to fasten then together, using 3/16" flat washers to keep the washer tighter on the bolt.

There are also external torx bolts that seem to have a smaller head than a hex bolt.

CCMoe

·
Registered
657 Posts
You would be surprised sometimes how deep the factory taps some of the holes in these castings, and those threads are never used. Once you get the bolts out and find out what is going on, if the threads are stripped in the casting, take a stiff piece of wire or a small screwdriver and figure how deep the holes are and if there a few threads left in the bottom of the hole that are not being used. Many times there are, and you only need two or 3 good threads to hold.

If this all works out, some long bolts may be all you need. You may find the bolt length increments you can buy are not what you need, especially since you are taking the depth to the limit, trying to use all of the threads you can get. So you may have to get a bolt that is just a little bit too long, and then take a hacksaw and cut them off and file the ends a little bit to get a custom fit/length.

P.S. What you can also do, which works well for the pto area, is to go buy some all-thread rod the proper size. Screw it in with double nuts and figure out the length you need. Then cut 4 pieces. Screw them in and you could even use some loctite on them, and then you have 4 studs that you can then put nuts on to hold it in place.

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can go up to 1-1/2" on bolt length. Thats a 1/4" gain. Going the stud and nut it. Will see what happens. Oh and here is the picture of the bottom side of this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got some studs today. Longer than I wanted but with some modification they should work. The shorter one bottoms in the gear box. With some high strength thread locker and tightened into the box. Will tighten the nuts on the two installed this evening tomorrow and install the studs for the other two. Nut with lock washer to be tightened tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the last two studs installed last night and nuts tightened today. Added gear lube to the box and engine oil topped off. Next will be the test to see if all was not in vain. I am down to using it only in areas were the 60" Ariens deck gets abused and the pasture fence line. It does a great job of mowing but just don't have almost three times the amount of time to mow the grass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts