My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,134 Posts
I just saw another story on the evils of solar and how it's hurting power companies to buy it from lowly homeowners. And how they may be adding new fees and taxes to help out the suffering utilities. More might get too political for this board, so I'll hush now.
Doesn't surprise me.

Jimbo,
Glad it's working out for you.:fing02:

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So the electric company in our area is called PSEG...........they have a residential and commercial program going on where they pay for 62% of your system in exchange for the the first 10 years of SREC's your system generates. They are estimating the system will make 22 SREC's a year for the first 10 years.
30% would be the current federal government tax credit.

So the solar company came out and gave us a estimate for the complete job. $55,000..........I think it's like 63 panels which will all be installed on the back of our house and garage..

Now here is the break down.

We have 2 loans.
One is a same as cash loan that will be due 12 months after the job is completed. ($50,575)

$34,075 is the check we will get from PSEG once the job is completed and we are going live.
$16,500 is the 30% tax credit we should be getting in the 2017 Income tax year.

Meaning we will have a second loan of $4425 ( a 7 year loan, paying $66 a month.) Could be paying it off that sooner if our system would happen to generate more then 22 SREC's a year.

So only out of pockets fees will be $4425 @ 6.99 % or $66 x 84 payments= $5544

This program was on last year and this year, not sure yet if it will go into the year 2018 or not.

Couple more important things in our view, we will own the system, not lease!
Plus we will be able to sleep at night not worrying about what the price of SREC's might fall too and not give us enough to pay for the loan.

Granted SREC's might go really , really high. But really we rather know it's paid for pretty much upfront then take the risk if they should bottom out after more and more people go solar.

Plus it will greatly reduce our electric bill too which was crazy high from April to October.

Also wanted to add this is goingto be about a 19.9 kWh System

Just received the $34,075 into our checking account from PSEG, that and the tax credit is due on the first loan in August of 2018. It is the same as cash no interest bank loan as long as we pay that off in full on that date. The tax credit we will get in April 2018 when we do our income tax for the year 2017.

·
Administrator- We’re all friends here
14,466 Posts
At that rate of return your $5500 contribution to the project should be paid back within just a few years. Then you will save big bucks on your bills over the years. Going solar was a good decision. :fing32:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Solar is a personal decision based on the best information at the time. Here in Arizona the Utility Reg folks shoved solar down the utilities throats, net metering. Now about 10 years later the utilities have united and applied for and gotten a new rate which will take the pay back for any PV system into the next decade. The reg folks also let the utilities create their own contracts. Where I live if you have a grid tied and the local light plant company helped pay for it. You have a contract which has to be forwarded to the new owner of the home. I know of one man whose sale fell out of escrow because of the utility would not approve the new owner. Effectively they are killing the solar industry state wide. It will take a few years for every one to finger this out, it will happen. The pay back is just not there in southern Arizona because of the utility. I called them Cave Man Electric when I was drawing a paycheck in the industry.

There is not a maintenance free solar system unless of course you do not want to get the most from you system. Keeping the panels clean is a chore here. I had a hot water system and it was wonderful. Just had to clean the dirt off the panels every month. PV is no difference. Batteries are a pain in the *** and will die, here about every 4 years. I have followed the Power Wall since it was announced. They keep moving the release date back and lowering the the amount of power. As a field service tech I needed a new lithium battery for my laptop every other year. Did not make a difference on the laptop manufacturer all the battery packs were made in China.

I suggest that you make a file for all of the equipment in your solar system. Read the spec sheets carefully. Just like fluorescent lamps the PV will fall off from the rated watts in a time specified by the manufacture. So what ever wattage you had installed will be ~20% less in 5 years. Once a year check the mechanical and electrical connections. Every responsible person in the house should know what all the lights mean, AND what to do when the red one comes on. Lastly contact the panel mfg and see if you can buy the flat clear panels that protect the cells and any other controls that can go bad. Store those for when the storm deposits tree limbs on your roof. Saved my butt when it happened to me and my hot water system.

Congrats on the new place and 4 legged neighbors, they eat a lot but are pretty quiet. You do have electrical surge arrester on the system and your electrical service. If not your gambling.

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Panel output.jpg

There is an app on my phone so I can see how each panel is producing. This is from today which was slightly overcast with some full sun hours.

The green squares are the 2 inverters, 32 panels on one and 31 on the other.

I will be able to tell if any electrical connectors go bad. The installer said all the panels around each other should be producing pretty close to the same kWh's, if not I am to call him so they can send someone out to check it out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
WOW that is a lot more information than I would have thought. Does it go to a computer for storage so you can trend the information? This data over time would be a gold mine. Like delay the clothes washer until peak production.

Eons ago I created energy data on chillers. their set points, btu's they produced and used relative to the out side conditions. The first 6 months or so was not real interesting. After some time the graphs that were created were quite informative. We could predict the cooling tower maintenance. Found we could increase the chemicals in the towers and get to the winter season when we could take them out of service.

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
3rd month in a row we are paying nothing for electric and we are actually making more electric then we need and are sending electric back to the grid and earning credits that we can use to pay for electric in the winter when we may be using more then we are making.

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So how has it gone so far this winter?

Do you have to clean the snow off the panels?
It's still going great here, still saving alot of money.
Have not had much snow this winter at all, even when it snows panels are only covered for a day or so before it slides off and melts. Even when they are covered they still somehow make electric so I guess some light is still filtering through the snow.

Where do you live? are you considering getting panels on your house?

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Did you get any kind of maintenance service agreement or are you stuck with finding someone to do the repairs if something happens?
Has been no issues so far, I would just call back the installer if any issues arise.

I have a monitor on my cell phone called Solar Edge, it shows how much each panel is making, if one should be way different then the one next to another one, then I know I have a problem. So far all the panels next to each other make just about the same amount of power therefore no problems so far.

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

·
Military Member
58 Posts
It's still going great here, still saving alot of money.
Have not had much snow this winter at all, even when it snows panels are only covered for a day or so before it slides off and melts. Even when they are covered they still somehow make electric so I guess some light is still filtering through the snow.

Where do you live? are you considering getting panels on your house?
I am thinking about panels on the roof also, Just not sure yet as the cost to have it all reviewed by a structural engineer (SE): the house is very old and the roof has uneven supports, rafters, and such.

I had a review done a while back as we were looking at turning the upstairs "attic" into living space and the SE said that could be done easily. I'm just worried that the loading on the south side would create issues with the old rafters because the pitch of the roof places quite a side load on the load bearing exterior walls.

Right now it's just a thought.....

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I am thinking about panels on the roof also, Just not sure yet as the cost to have it all reviewed by a structural engineer (SE): the house is very old and the roof has uneven supports, rafters, and such.

I had a review done a while back as we were looking at turning the upstairs "attic" into living space and the SE said that could be done easily. I'm just worried that the loading on the south side would create issues with the old rafters because the pitch of the roof places quite a side load on the load bearing exterior walls.

Right now it's just a thought.....
Panels are surprising very light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The economy is in the first place. All projects that make the entering and saving of power consumption easier are really very important. I would like to have such a meter. Actually, in the last few months, I am reading more and more information about energy and how to save it more efficiently. I am even planning to install some solar panels at home. And I learned what is Ofgem. It is the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets, which was formed when the office of Electricity Regulation (OFFER) merged with the Office of Gas Supply (OFGAS). You can learn more at usave.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts