My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Ive had harbor freight 115v mig/flux for years.Only use for thin metal and for repairs away from home.Perfer stick welder,but it cant go anywhere.If I ever upgrade mig/flux ,it will still be 115 volt.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had about the same requirements as the OP. After looking at all the options, I opted for a 135 model that's sold by the Eastwood Company. You can check it out at Eastwood.com. They sell all kinds of auto restoration equipment and tools. They have setup and basic welding videos on youtube that really helped me in the beginning. I bought my unit on sale and it had free shipping and a full 3 year warranty to boot. Came with everything needed to start welding including a cart and an automatic helmet. The only thing I had to get locally was the shielding gas. I've used it to repair mower decks, tractor frames, and also some sheet metal work. They were great when it came to warrenty, too. Last spring I used it for the first time in over a year and the gas regulator wasn't registering right. I called them and had a new one on the porch in 2 days. They told me to throw the old one out. Check them out if you really want an affordable quality 110v mig welder. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

Duane

·
Tractor Nerd
3,238 Posts
Personally... If I was starting new looking for a welder.. I would probably skip my everlast welder and buy a harbor freight 200 titanium or 220 vulcan multi-process unit. Can mig, stick, and tig - steel... No AC option for aluminum... You can dc tig aluminum with helium, just not as good as ac can. Both machines will run on 110 or 220, or off a generator 110/220.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I really like my Hobart 190, got it on sale 5 years ago. I just used flux core wire but it has everything to use gas with it except for the tank.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The comments regarding Harbor Freight cheap welders is unwarranted. Sure the more expensive are better, but for a novice it has got me welding and fixing things that before would be impossible.

Here is a video

·
15,000 +posts!
20,077 Posts
My main gripe about the HF welder is the fact once anything fails on it,it's most likely not going to be possible to obtain any parts for it,and due to the low price,it is considered "disposable",that is the biggest drawback to HF tools....that and the fact it wont weld thin stuff without blowing holes,or anything thicker than 3/16 ,the penetration just isn't there..

I'm glad I didn't pay their full price for it at the store,I'd have been much more disappointed with it if I had..I haven't used it much,perhaps if I practice with it I'll get better at using it..

I know you cant expect miracles for under $100,but you shouldn't have to open it up and modify one with a DC rectifier in order to make it work better either..
I suppose they are better than having no welder,but I consider the $50 I spent on an old AC/DC arc welder off craigslist a better bargain..you can do so much more with it..

I know guys who bought the larger 220V Harbor Freight MIG welders and they seem to be working well and holding up good for them,one uses his in a repair shop often,sometimes daily--his biggest fear is if he'll be able to get a new "gun" and other parts for it once things start wearing out..the new Vulcan welders they recently introduced do look promising though..

·
15,000 +posts!
20,077 Posts
The one I have is a black one,90 amp model...probably 2-3 years old..

I see HF is now selling them as a "125 amp" now,I wonder if they upgraded anything inside like the transformer,or if they added a rectifier?...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts