My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a lift to change belts and do minor repairs on craftsman 46" deck 25hp lawn tractor. what would you suggest for an old 77 year old man. How well it functions and how safe it is. Do I need jack stands for safety. don't want it falling on me. . . .best deal? Thank you in advance for your help

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
I use one of these. Still have to get on the ground and use a furniture pad. I am 68 and my want to go with a lift table if my back and legs go bad.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Richard, I've had both of the lifts that Harbor Freight carry and both are fine for your GT. I initially had the smaller lift for a 600lb Wheelhorse 266H but sold it and bought their heavy lift for my 1000+lb Cub XT3.

I use jackstands and strap the GT to the lift for safety. Just takes a couple extra minutes and I don't have to worry about being crushed if the jack fails.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice setup . . .I would do exactly what you have done with jack stands and strapping. That xt3 is a big boy! Would you be able to replace the motion belt (highest one) without taking off the deck with that rig. Looks like it would be too tall if lying on your back. can you sneak a chair in there in the front. . .from the side

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
do you use additional jack stands for safety
I have not used jack stands with this lift. It has a mechanical lock rod that drops into holes in the frame as the lift goes up. Use stands if it makes you feel more safe.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I got one of these a couple of years ago, have used many times since and it works well. I've never used jack stands as the lift has pins that go into holes to lock it in up position. You mention 560lbs. This is rated at 300lbs and remember you can only lift one end of the machine at once. I have a GT5000 and a Craftsman Pro 98645 which is a newer version of GT I believe.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Very nice setup . . .I would do exactly what you have done with jack stands and strapping. That xt3 is a big boy! Would you be able to replace the motion belt (highest one) without taking off the deck with that rig. Looks like it would be too tall if lying on your back. can you sneak a chair in there in the front. . .from the side
You can change the deck belts with the deck lowered sitting on a creeper seat. I don't have a drive belt. XT3s and the 3000 series behind it are shaft-driven.

The lift Everland posted above is the first one I had and it would be fine for your Craftsman. Mine also has safety pins but I want to be very safe when lying under 1000lbs.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I have a stand like post #2 but I also screwed multiple heavy eye hooks into the door header of my work shop and slid a steel bar through the eyes. I then clip a chain hoist to the bar and use it to lift the mower almost to a vertical. Use it to hang decks when doing spindles or repainting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts