My Tractor Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Probably a good idea not to mow the rocks. Besides being hard on the blades, you can fire one out the discharge chute and kill a ground hog 50 yards away. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Sandy soil where I live simply acts like a sand blaster, rapidly dulling the blades after mowing 3 acres twice. After mowing 5-6 times the elevators are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I too live in an area that is mostly sand. I was running through a set of Cub Cadet blades every year. My 60inch deck has blades with a high lift back and the sand would hit the bottom of the lift area and erode the metal super fast. By the end of the year there would be a one inch (or more) "V" worn into in the end of the blade.
I ran across a set of blades made with something called "Marbain Steel" and if you will pardon the pun, they wear like iron!
I have been using the same set for three years now and they are worn, but are far from being worn out.
I got them on-line from "Pro Parts Place" the blades are marked as XHT (stands for Extreme Hardness Toughness).
Look, buy 'em or not, cause I got no dog in the hunt. All I know is that they have worked very well for me and cost me less than OEM junk.
I hope someone finds this useful.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Sand???:)

I go through a set of Gator G5 blades in two years as I mulch mow only with a sealed deck on my northern Florida yard. Going with the G6 Gator blades now, Those XHT blades sound interesting if you are side discharging.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I wonder if anyone has tried using liquid nitrogen to harden the blades…(?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
I ran across a set of blades made with something called "Marbain Steel" and if you will pardon the pun, they wear like iron!
I recently had a question about mowers and I found a website - lawnmowerforum.com. A poster there said Marbain blades (and another brand I've forgotten) were premium blades and about the best you can buy for a commercial mowing operation.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
I too live in an area that is mostly sand. I was running through a set of Cub Cadet blades every year. My 60inch deck has blades with a high lift back and the sand would hit the bottom of the lift area and erode the metal super fast. By the end of the year there would be a one inch (or more) "V" worn into in the end of the blade.
I have been using the same set for three years now and they are worn, but are far from being worn out.
I got them on-line from "Pro Parts Place" the blades are marked as XHT (stands for Extreme Hardness Toughness).
Look, buy 'em or not, cause I got no dog in the hunt. All I know is that they have worked very well for me and cost me less than OEM junk.
I read about Marbain blades awhile back. They are great for your type of situation. For me hitting rocks they are too hard and brittle. I think @Mudyapster has similar sandy conditions to you. I hope he finds this because he's wearing blades out like you did. I forgot about the marbain blades. Thanks for the reminder. (y)

Reactions: Mudyapster

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
If you're referring to Fisher Barton's MARBAIN blades, these are what Scag uses on all their equipment. I've said it before on here a few times that they are far the toughest sharpest blades I have ever used.

·
Registered
807 Posts
For sharpening blades I use all three common tools. I get the rough spots out with a bench grinder, then I dress up the bevel angle with a flap disk on a hand-held grinder, then I finish with a flat file.

Sounds involved, but it goes pretty quickly and gets good results for me.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I read about Marbain blades awhile back. They are great for your type of situation. For me hitting rocks they are too hard and brittle. I think @Mudyapster has similar sandy conditions to you. I hope he finds this because he's wearing blades out like you did. I forgot about the marbain blades. Thanks for the reminder. (y)
Looking these blades up now. I get 28 to 30 hrs out a set of blades and they are eat up and shot. I have 5 new sets on hand but going to try these from Pro Parts. Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
01-03 Legacy
64 Posts
In my experience Marbain blades are the real deal, noticeably longer wear and noticeably harder steel when you sharpen them, worth the money in my opinion.

I was fortunate to acquire a Lesco blade sharpener from my Dad, works nice.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts