My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to start out with my trees. In particular Osage Orange.
These baby's have thorns that are as hard as a furniture tack.
They can even puncture car tires.
So my X530 is four years old and on its third set of front 4 ply tires.
The HDAP rears are too thick for them to be affected.
Mind that these are in effect pin holes and really cant be plugged without
making a real hole in the tire.
So this year my left front starts going flat overnight.
One year on these tires. So I jack it up, pump up 20psi and start squirting
with Windex. OMG by the time I got all way around the tire it was fully
engulfed in foam from side to side.
I hear about Tire Ject.
Water based and files holes up to 3/8 inch.
After careful review I bought some.
Check it out:https://www.tireject.com/

Its a thin milky like substance that is easy water clean up.
And best of all 4oz later and went to mowing and voila.
Next day that tire hadn't lost a pound of air.
Been a week now and all is soo good.
After all these years and spending 120 bucks each time on two front tires..I'm over it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You got my attention. I travel 4 hours to mow grass - never any time to replace a front tire with a dry rot crack in it (takes 2-3 weeks to go down). That might buy me some time.

·
Registered
321 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for sharing your tire repair tip. Your menacing trees sound as bad as the Tribulus Terrestris or Goathead. This plant does a number on most tires, as well.

Goathead.jpg

Goathead Thorn.png

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I ordered a set of four packs from eBay and plan to use it on any future leaks. I think it may be especially useful on old dry rot tires that are still good but have age leaks. I would never dream of using it on an old car tire but a tractor tire is a no brainer. I'll update this if I use it anytime soon.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Regular ol' Tire Slime that you can buy for a fraction of the price will do the same thing for those pinhole leaks. After the first ride on my side x side two of the tires were flat the next morning. Checking for leaks found multiple small pinholes in each that you would of had to ream out quite a bit to get a plug in. Put Slime in the tires and then ran for several years without ever having to air in them again.

With that said, I did recently spend the $$ on Tireject to try on some older 40" tall Super Swampers on my fullsize off-road rig because they were starting to dry rot but still had good tread. These tires are close to $400 each to decided to try the Tireject because they advertise being able to deal with mild dry rot up around the sides of the tires.

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
Mesquite thorns here, but I hate tire sealant with a passion! Much rather use plugs.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tireject has worked great for me and when i removed the tire it didn't look like those pics. Just a bit of fluid that was easily cleaned up off the rim and floor by a hose!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow didn't know the NY Osage had no thorns.
Do they still bear the fruit. AKA Hedge Apple.
Mine get the size of cantaloupe. Sure cant park under them when they start falling.
They are so bad here that the squirrels avoid those trees.
Only if spooked will they venture up but not far.
Glad I don't have those Cali thorns.
I'm going off and doing the dry rotted wheel barrow tire and a front tire on another tractor.
I bought 20oz good for 5 front tires up to 18 inch.
Those nasty wheels were probably that slime stuff.
Not supposed to do that with Tire Ject.
Ive been most pleased.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My 1996 Crafstman sat out in the shed's dirt floor for 4 years. 4 flats all off the rims. Sidewalls dry rotted and full of cracks. I've used Slime before with only marginal and temporary results.

Tried the $42 TireJect pack 10 days ago. Recommended dose in each tire, aired them up and drove around for 15 minutes. This morning, out to the shed and all 4 tires are up and no air loss. Even the dry rot is sealed.

TireJect is thin so it readily goes everywhre and finds leaks. Watch One Loney Farmer's video on his agg tires. Filled, rolled and shot full of holes. All but a couple of big gashes sealed back up.

TireJect is the way to go. I'm ordering more for my wheel barrow, yard cart, hand cart and push blower tires.

I just tossed out my leftover slime and a can of "Fix a Flat". Those are no where nearly as effective as the TireJect.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Mesquite thorns here, but I hate tire sealant with a passion! Much rather use plugs.
I've dismounted several tires with Slime in them and they never looked like those. The stuff is usually still green-ish in color and very watery and just washed the tire out with a hose. The pictures are probably from that nasty aerosol sticky stuff that also inflates the tire.

Slime has always done really good on tread punctures but agree that it doesn't work as good on sidewall issues or dryrot (but it does help some). That is why I spent 4 times the money on Tireject for certain things.

The one nice thing about Slime over plugs.....is that if you already have Slime in the tire it will immediately seal if you run over a thorn (actually, you probably will never know you did run over one). With plugs you wait until you have a flat and then have to stop and fix it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The SuperTech tire sealer from Walmart that is also a white liquid that's works very good for me even on the side walls. Wonder if it's the same stuff? Must remove tire and rim as one piece, off mower to make it work properly and go thru a certain procedure that I made up though.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts