My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a snowblower set up to use out at our acreage with a 300' dirt lane. Last year in mid-west Iowa was rough and want to put together a great machine for this year. I do have an ATV/plow set up but wouldn't break through the major drifts we had, but once I got through once it would do fine. I do own a Cub Cadet 1872 that I use for mowing at out house in town and I all so have a CUT Case IH 1120 that I use out at the acreage for everything but no FEL, 2wd, turf tires, and 18HP diesel. So buy a snowblower for one of those two (hard to find one for the Cub and heard that 3-point ones burn clutches up) or set up a whole new beast? Would love to get a mowing deck and a tiller to sooo help me out!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
How much are you looking to spend?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Sounds to me like you already have an adequate platform to start your quest for a killer snow machine for a 300' driveway with the 1120 or even the 1872 they just need some goodies to do the job,,,, front mount blower, wheel weights, chains, and a cab. But honestly,,, I have 250' and use a Gravely walkbehind for blowable amounts (over 12") anything less gets the CUT and front blade. To me, a blower mounted on one of my CUTs is more money/storage space than I want tied up in snow equipment for the amount of time it gets used.

·
Registered
176 Posts
How about a blower for the ATV? Don't know what's involved switching between the blade and blower, but it might not be too bad.

Could be a little cost inhibitive. Just found where the blower is $1200, but you also need the power unit to drive it which is another $1900+. A plus for getting it would be the ability to add a mid-mount mower (48" or 62") later.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
you know as shaft would say " You Dang Right " that is awesome and a good idea, but i wonder what size motor he is using to power it, i got a hh100 in the building now just for the blower

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't know about what's best, but your 1872 will accept a 450 snowblower and you'll need the 448 thrower lift kit, since you have a super. They are 2 stage and throw a long way. I picked one up this spring for my 1862 for $250 and put another $80 for new bearings/bushings/gaskets and it's quiet and powerful. Plus, you'll have another $100+ for the lift kit. My driveway is about 200' and I cleared it last year with a manual lift Deere 212 and a single stage thrower. It actually worked great, but the Cub with hydraulic lift, power steering, and the 2 stage blower should be a dream. (I'd need the lift kit also to mount it on the 982)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have found a 450 blower all redone for $800 but with out the lift kit. Wouldn't I have to add chains and weight too? I just feel I could buy a whole set up for that and have a spare mower in the end.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
That does sound to bad to me. I sold a 47" 2 stage for my 318 JD last year for $1400. I went to a 49 JD single stage blower for my 318. Easier to store. Works great.

·
22,756 Posts
I have found a 450 blower all redone for $800 but with out the lift kit. Wouldn't I have to add chains and weight too? I just feel I could buy a whole set up for that and have a spare mower in the end.
Chains plus loaded tires, and wheel weights, if necessary. Front mount blowers take weight off the rear axle when transporting and you need a little extra traction to push it into the drifts. A back blade makes a nice companion implement with the bonus of more counterweight.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have nothing but good things to say about my Cub 1872 with the 450 snowblower. I cut through 5'+ drifts with it last year. I've got a big walkbehind that can really beat up these old bones. The cub just engage the pto and work the hydro lever. On the really deep stuff just drive into the drift and knock it down. then back up and hit it again to throw it. Mine will throw snow 40'-60'! I paid around $300 for mine but got it as part of a package deal with some other stuff. At the end of the season I found a cab. Can't wait t try that. You will need some weight on the rear tires. either loaded or wheel weights or both. Also a good set of tire chains. Turf tires work fine with chains.The lift kit is just 2 inexpensive brackets and some bolts that lower the lower lift arms to compensate for the bigger tires of the supers.
$800 is on the higher end for one of these blowers. But is much cheaper than a new bercomac or anything else new as well. Add chains and weight and the couple of little things that always need doing and you are still under $1000. A thousand $ won't buy my walk behind blower new. That walk behind takes 3-4 times as long to do the same job as this 46" 450 blower.

·
Registered
176 Posts
ancy, one of these would sure get the neighbors talking:

Yeah, I know I'm being a bit of smarta$$, but I couldn't help myself.

·
Super Moderator
35,782 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts