My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm going to buy a snowblower for my 2007 X300 and my first tought was to simply buy everything from my JD dealer and be done with it.
But.............**** shopping.................when I look at the units from Bercomac, they look a lot better, especially the northest model and you can have them with the chute all electric and electric liftting if you want also. The problem I see is weight (almost 100 pound heavier).
Am I getting into trouble here ??????:Stop:

Thoughts ??

:thanku::thanku::thanku:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Bercomac makes an excellent product from what I've read on several different sites. slkpk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks slkpk,

the real question is.......can my X300 and it's infamous K46 handle that extra weight ?
My driveways are realy flat but they're as been so much bad news about that transmission, it makes me worried.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
IMO your better off using a blower than you are a blade. slkpk

·
DGS 6500 - North Dakota
2019 Kubota BX2680
173 Posts
I can't comment on the JD part of the equation. But I have a Craftsman DGS6500 with a 26hp Kohler. I bought the 48" Berco NorthEast model last year. I love it. If you have a gravel driveway, get the bigger skids. I have electric lift, but manual chute. It's easy enough to use that you don't need the full electric, unless you want to spend the money.

The only problem I have is my 48" is so wide, I can't get to the front door of my house. The 48" was only $100 more than the smaller one, so I upgraded. But now, I wonder if being a bit narrower would have helped for maneuvering.

I've seen some of the JD blowers. They are decent units. But the Berco is definitely heavier duty. I tossed a few rocks bigger than golf balls on my gravel driveway. Didn't faze the Berco one bit.

I've look at other tractors in case my DGS ever crapped out. AYP doesn't make the DGS for Craftsman any longer. The X300 would be the next comparable unit to mine. So I think you'd be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks 92 merc,

I have absolutely no concern about the quality of the Berco units, I know that it's top notch, it's really the weight of the machine that bugs me
what about traction when the blower is lifted, and maneuvrability.
I just don't want to overload the transmission, I think that the frame of my X300 is up to the task, and I don't mind spending more for top quality components, I just want everything to be match together.

PS: it would be a 44 inch for me

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Thanks 92 merc,

I have absolutely no concern about the quality of the Berco units, I know that it's top notch, it's really the weight of the machine that bugs me
what about traction when the blower is lifted, and maneuvrability.
I just don't want to overload the transmission, I think that the frame of my X300 is up to the task, and I don't mind spending more for top quality components, I just want everything to be match together.

PS: it would be a 44 inch for me
The frame is the same as the X500's so it is good, fill the tires with rim gaurd add wheel weights and chains.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The frame is the same as the X500's so it is good, fill the tires with rim gaurd add wheel weights and chains.
I don't know about ''rim gaurd'' where can I get it and is it the same as filling the tires with windshield washer.

And I'm gonna sound a little stupid but, how exactly do you fill tires with anything except air?????

·
Registered
441 Posts
My understanding is that the killer of the trannies in our X300s is the heat. In the winter it should be less of a worry. Also pushing a blade I think is harder for the tranny then pushing a blower. I have the blade and so far not thinking of buying the blower. I will be interested in your final decision and thoughts as you tackle the storms.

In terms of the weight I think you will be fine with suitcase weights and maybe fill the tires as well. I too have not figured out how those guys fill the tires with fluid.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I don't know about ''rim gaurd'' where can I get it and is it the same as filling the tires with windshield washer.

And I'm gonna sound a little stupid but, how exactly do you fill tires with anything except air?????
You get rim guard at a dealer (tire shop) it is the same as filling with windshield washer fluid but will not rust the rims and is heaivier than WWF. You take the tires and the dealer fills them so you wouldnt have a mess to clean.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is great info, thanks a lot

Of course the tire chains and the weights are a no brainer and I think the rim guard makes a lot of sense, I'll look into it.

Right now my JD dealer is asking $2,675 canadian +tx for the whole setup installed and delivered to my place(they absolutely want to do the installation themselves ??).
it includes:
-the blower(with manual rotation and height of the chute)
-the subframe
-the spring lift :thanku:assist
-the grille cover(to prevent icing of the carburetor ??)
-the chains
-the suitcases weigths

I think I can get a better blower from Bercomac for that kind of money and probably better equiped.
I'm stil not convinced about the weight difference(more then 100 pounds) but it's very tempting to go with the berco(check out their video at www.bercomac.com)
If someone as one install on an X300 please let me know how it goes.
:thanku::fing32:

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Which model are you looking at from berco? The 40" or the 44"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It would be the 44 inch Northest: 250 pounds manual lift and 260 with electric lift and more if you want the electric chute.
the 40 inch Compact is 180 pounds with manual lift (same weight as the one from JD)
it's 210 pounds for a 40 inch Compact electric lift.

But definitely the NORTHEST model is the killer machine, go check the specs (bigger faster 4 blade fan, geared auger etc.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
another thing about Bercomac is that the subframe is the same if you want to put a blade or a rotary broom, so I think that's a plus.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I think the 40" is a better choice for your application.

·
22,771 Posts

I don't think "Rim Guard" as a manufacturer is available in Canada, but there's another manufacturer that has a similar product that I'm using. This is a dealer installed item on both sides of the border. You don't want to do the job at home. It's a smelly product, but harmless. The weight gain over windshield fluid is well worth the effort to find it. It's comparable to calcium for weight, but non-corrosive.

Weight gain with calcium in each of the 23x8.50-12 tires on my old MF12 was 65 lb., if I remember correctly. (It's been a lot of years.) For the 26x12-12's on my MF1655, the gain was 160 lb. each, but the rims rot out in 12-14 years with that stuff. I expect a similar gain with the sugar beet bi-product when I finally put new rims on her.

To find the right stuff, start by asking your dealer, and then any other equipment dealer or major tire shop that deals with heavy equipment tires like Goodyear, GCR Tire Centres, etc. I think it costs about a buck per litre.

Two ways to get it in the tire. Break the bead and pour it in --- less than optimal filling, or pump it in through the valve stem. Through the stem requires air to be bled off regularly during the process, but you can get a lot more in (about 75-80% fill). The ride is a little rougher at that level, but it is a tractor and you get used to it real quick. Top off the fill with the proper air pressure and you're set. You can add air anytime, but to reduce pressure at 80% fill means you are going to dump fluid, not air. Start with low pressure for the tire, about 4-6 psi. if the final stage will let you, and add air until you are happy. I run at max with no issues, traction or otherwise.

With that Berco on the front and loaded tires, wheel weights and chains on the rear, the snow won't have a chance and you'll still have traction with the blower up. An extra 50 lb. hung on the tractor rear will ease the steering load with the blower up, the loaded wheels don't help with that.

The only extra work the transmission has to do is move that extra weight, including the blower. Put that extra weight in a trailer with 4 wheels the size of your tractor's, and pull it by hand. Piece of cake and you aren't the equivalent of even 1/10th of a horsepower.

Oh yeah, one more thing. You want a blower that is wider than your tractor, so you can bend a curve without breaking the edge of your cut with the rear tires. That also gives a wider path to back up on if you dead end your pass. If you have the horses (over 18) and a strong front end, I'd go with the 44".

Bob :rauch10:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks TUDOR,

44'' is the size of what John Deere sells for my X300, and I think it makes a lot of sense, the 40'' Berco COMPACT is a little on the narrow side but one of my friend as one on the smallest JD lawn tractor (L115) and he has no problem at all ??
Like I said before, it's only the weight that's stopping mefor the NORTHEST, but your comment on a 300 pound trailer is stop on, I do it on a regular basis with an 4 X 8 trailer loaded with all kinds of things and my Kawasaki 17 HP doesn't even break a sweat.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
This is great info, thanks a lot

Of course the tire chains and the weights are a no brainer and I think the rim guard makes a lot of sense, I'll look into it.

Right now my JD dealer is asking $2,675 canadian +tx for the whole setup installed and delivered to my place(they absolutely want to do the installation themselves ??).
it includes:
-the blower(with manual rotation and height of the chute)
-the subframe
-the spring lift :thanku:assist
-the grille cover(to prevent icing of the carburetor ??)
-the chains
-the suitcases weigths

I think I can get a better blower from Bercomac for that kind of money and probably better equiped.
I'm stil not convinced about the weight difference(more then 100 pounds) but it's very tempting to go with the berco(check out their video at www.bercomac.com)
If someone as one install on an X300 please let me know how it goes.
:thanku::fing32:
I don't have the Berco but the John Deere one, here what it cost one year ago.

1. Snowblower: 2045.00
2. TY16200 tires chain: 141.00
3. R66949 suitcase weight (2):119.00
4. Lift assist spring: Free
5. Install: Free

I bought the X300 at the same time so I could deal a bit on the accessory.

I used my snowblower last winter (47 hours, I clean neighbours parking) with fill tires, each wheels was weighting 65 lbs.

Every thing was working fine but it’s the transaxle who takes the beating.

In some condition the tractor alone was forcing to run in the street with some slush mix with snow (you know that, you live in Quebec :)).

At first I change the front tires for 3 Rib’s to ameliorate the driving from one parking lot to the other, it’s help but was not enough and event with the 3 Rib’s forget about going up hill, that why I replace the transaxle at the end.

John Deere does not recommend to put wheels weight or fill tires with liquid ballast it will damage the transaxle prematurely and they can void the warranty.

I know I used it more that a normal owner will do with only is parking space to clean, but an other member here on MTF “Syd” who as is video of is x300 with the blower in the sticky’s section as to replace is tranny before the warranty finish (200 hour’s on is X300) at the end of last winter.

I’m sure the Berco blower is a find blower but the extra weight you will put on the X300 could be a problem if the transaxle start to have issue.

Just want to share my experience.
:rauch10:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Stladrill,

How would you rate the performance of the JD blower on a scale of 1 to 10 ?

Would you buy it again ?

It has a lot of plastic parts, what about those ?

I sure don't want to have any problems with the warranty, and probably if I buy everything from my JD dealer, it would ease the negociations if I have any problems with the transaxle.

I know that you made an electric chute, was because the manual one wasn't working correctly ?

What about the lift system, is it easy for a women to operate ( my wife loves to ride the tractor and she loves the snow)

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Thanks Stladrill,

How would you rate the performance of the JD blower on a scale of 1 to 10 ?

Would you buy it again ?

It has a lot of plastic parts, what about those ?

I sure don't want to have any problems with the warranty, and probably if I buy everything from my JD dealer, it would ease the negociations if I have any problems with the transaxle.

I know that you made an electric chute, was because the manual one wasn't working correctly ?

What about the lift system, is it easy for a women to operate ( my wife loves to ride the tractor and she loves the snow)
Yes I would buy it again for sure. :fing32:

The only problem I add with "plastic" part was the chute, it as a fabrication defect and broke in the few first hour (here's the thread about it Here)

No the manual chute work find and is well built, like I said previously I clean a lot of city driveways so I'm always adjusting the chute to put the snow in the right spot, not much place between the house here to put the snow.

The lift system (spring assist kit) is effortless event for my 14 years old boy, here a video showing my son operate the blower control Here.

You can go watch my channel on You-Tube (link in my signature) for more video related. :fing32:

One thing that I strongly suggest is the soft cab at minimum if you don't want to turn like a "Popsicle" :D

I almost forget about the performance rate, I give a 9.9 :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts