My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Good prices? :sidelaugh Smalldog Electronics or the Apple store itself (for refurbs) are the only places that I know of. I would be hesitant to buy any kind of used laptop. Make sure it comes with some kind of warranty.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
CDW offers a lot of used Macs with warranties. Besides that Ebay. If you have a college/university around you may want to check what they do with their equipment once their life cycle is over. Virgina Tech is about 40 miles from me and they are a HUGE Mac environment. They are constantly putting Macs up for surplus auction with some great prices. I don't know about Mac Book Pros, but I've saw complete G5s w/20" monitors go for under $500.

·
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:
7,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
smalldog, will try it. apple sells them? ok, well i have kin whohas roommate thatss an apple genius at the seattle store, so might get something. still thinking of just replacing hd on my existing book instead (died). thanks all

·
Registered
700 Posts
Anyone have a favorite place and found have good prices? I am looking for a 17" macbook pro. I am not savy on all the models, I do know I want bootcamp so I can put xp pro in it, too.
thanks
Why bootcamp? Think VMware Fusion or Parallels are better choices. They create a "virtual" desktop which means you can jump back and forth without having to reboot the computer into the other system.

As far as buying a used laptop, I think I'd look at Apple's refurbished ones first.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have used mac of all trades twice and have been happy with them.

Do some research before you buy though - I got a iBookg g3 from them and it ended up as a brick from the infamous logic board issues.. It did last several years though and IF i had done any amount of research i would have found that issue and could have picked another model

I did buy from them again and got an ibook g4 that I am typing on..

good luck

brian

·
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:
7,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bought a 17" mac-book pro from them, should arrive Monday. i use parallels at work and have put it on machines for users. it has likes and dislikes. so i am putting xpsp3 on bootcamp. might get win7 but will see how this works.
i am also getting the new mac mini for my workplace desktop. plus we took delivery of another 8 ipads for a total of 20 now lol and they are pretty slick in their new otterbox skins. picked up a new iphone for work as well and jailbroke it, so having fun there. Not bad for a guy who first learned to admin on a wang2000 and been on ms stuff for so long :p

now we are working to unlock either an ipad, iphone or ipaq to dial out on an iridium 9555.:fing32:

·
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:
7,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good prices? :sidelaugh Smalldog Electronics or the Apple store itself (for refurbs) are the only places that I know of. I would be hesitant to buy any kind of used laptop. Make sure it comes with some kind of warranty.
well...we had been using macofalltrades for bulk purchases and its been pretty good, so thought i would try a personal purchase of a 17" macbook pro.

Not good.

first i pay for the only option of hipping; two day fedex express. takes 11 days to arrive and i dont get any sort of break on shipping, although I know they can get a refund.

second, it arrives and the box is secure and wrapped well; but the laptop ois a POS. Beat up, worn keys, lid is warped; the corners of the lid when closed is about 1/2" sticking up, even though the middle parts latched. corners bent, trim hanging down in front of the dvd opening. unreal. so i sent them an email tonight and said i want a full refund, of what it cost to send it both ways plus cost of laptop. wont ever do that again. ungh.

i dont get on here much; too much a hassle having to log in everytime and banner ads! yeesh!! oh well. i'll let ya know how it goes. hey mo as for work, we have about 20 ipads and are looking for ways to make them comm units, possibly changing the code in them so we can hook up to sat phones for sending data back...ipads are fun esp. when they are jailbroke lol

·
Registered
8,508 Posts

·
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:
7,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Mo quick update I ordered a 17" Mac Pro from Apple refurb. Was a 2 day delivery which means 10 days so its sitting in the USPS office in Juneau waiting for the plane trip here. I cant wait! It'll be MY first personal mac, although we have about 15 of those mac that are CRT's? We are going to fix them and give em away. But am excited

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Cool. A 17" would be really nice. My work laptop is a 15" first generation Intel Mac Pro. Still works great after 4.5 years.

·
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:
7,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Mow
Arrived today, package looks dry and intact and I dont hear too much rattling inside (but there is rattling!!!!)

I promised my kids and myself I wouldn't open it til after we move this weekend. So its in a box...waiting...

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,954 Posts
Hey Mow
Arrived today, package looks dry and intact and I dont hear too much rattling inside (but there is rattling!!!!)

I promised my kids and myself I wouldn't open it til after we move this weekend. So its in a box...waiting...
Oh man! I don't think I could wait that long! 'Course today I got back to my office from a meeting, and there was a great huge Mac Pro box sitting in it, brand new (WITH the computer inside! I checked!). I thought AWESOME! Somebody's giving me a Mac Pro! Turns out, one of my co-workers had just bought it for himself, and my office was conveniently located between the store, his office and the the bus stop; rather than carry it all the way back to his office, then BACK to the bus stop, he figured I wouldn't mind if he left it in my office... He's lucky he got it back! I even gave him a ride home! (I think that might have been his ulterior motive).

·
Registered
2,951 Posts

·
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:
7,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats where I got it from, Apple Refurb

It is like new, I dont see any signs of prior use. Maybe like Dell or Gateway refurbs where the corporate sales online for used or refurb'd machines can be new ones sent back from stores to make room for stock, etc.

Anyhow, its really nice. Opened it yesterday. The rattling was the power supply. Came with CD's which was a nice surprise. I turned it on, signed up, etc and then shut it off. No room to put it up with the new home and boxes everywhere. But its sweet. Might try putting XP3 on bootcamp to try it out as I already have Parallels at work and know how that is. Although I dont know how clean an uninstall of Xp on bootcamp is, if I change my mind later and want to switch to Parallels. But also have Mac Office 08 and a few other goodies, so am pretty excited. The 4MB ram and Nvidia 9600 video card, I ought to be able to play CoD on it pretty well :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts