My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

Anyone have a go-to place for hydraulic cylinder replacement? I've got an odd size (I think) on my little bushhog 1846QT loader and can't seem to find a replacement anywhere. To rebuild the parts that are no good cost more (significantly) than a replacement cylinder it seems (if i can find one) so I was hoping someone had a go to. The one I need to replace is a:

(Ognibene & Hol-Mac) 1-1/2" Bore x 15" Stroke, 1" Rod Dia., 9/16" - 18 SAE ORB Ports

and the area I keep getting hung up on is the 15" stroke (I figure I could go to a 14" stroke if I absolutely had to, since it would technically fit) and the sizing. The shaft that extends is easy enough, with a welded cross tube that is a normal pin size and a roughly 2.25" wide, I can find cylinders that match that (or that are close enough that I can make it work with some washers. But the cylinder itself is only like 1.75" and it has the hole for the pin bored through it, so I'm getting hung up finding one that will fit into the space available on that end (the very end of the cylinder sits in a recessed area). They all seem to have a 2" cross tube on either side. I can cut the one end down a little to make it fit, but i think the cylinder may still wedge into the little recessed area.

I'm new to hydraulics and I'm stumped. I don't want to order something that won't fit, and I'm trying to avoid doing any major modifications on the loader arms. It's not something dumb like the stated dimensions don't equal the true dimensions is it? (like a 2x4 is actually 1.5x3.5)

any help would be greatly appreciated

·
21,417 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
If you use Bailey use promo code WELCOME18 for a discount.

·
Administrator
16,805 Posts
Surplus has 1 1/2 bore with 1" cylinder on page 55 (probably others also) but the best thing you could do is call them (maybe email) with this info and they will tell you what could work. I'd also look at how this mounts to see if, with a little modification to the mound, a 14 or 16" stroke would work for you. Bet that would be cheaper that having to have it cut and re-welded. But that depend it you are comfortable doing that sort of modification.
MikeC

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! I’ll reach out to Surplus and see if they have a solution. I had some folks suggest getting a 16” and modifying but I hate to spend money on a solution to just need to spend more money on the solution. The biggest issue I see is making sure the cross tube attached to the cylinder is small enough to fit in the recess without the cylinder itself getting jammed in there. The OEM is a combination of a pin and tang (I think that’s what it’s called) and a cross tube (on the piston itself). Maybe I need to get my measuring tape back out and double check (and write it all down).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got a Carquest but no Napa. Our Carquest does hydraulic hoses and says they have a machine shop, but I don't know the extent of the work that they do. It's not a very big place.

I'm pretty new to the area so if there are any hydraulic shops or machine shops around, I'm not aware of them. It's just my luck that the OEM used an odd size that would preclude me from using a shelf replacement...

·
21,417 Posts
I'm pretty new to the area so if there are any hydraulic shops or machine shops around, I'm not aware of them. It's just my luck that the OEM used an odd size that would preclude me from using a shelf replacement...
This is the norm for all large manufacturers.

·
2,790 Posts
I've got a Carquest but no Napa. Our Carquest does hydraulic hoses and says they have a machine shop, but I don't know the extent of the work that they do. It's not a very big place.

Whee do you live?...Google "hydraulic shops near me"

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mark, I talked to a couple backshed machinists in the area (on the suggestion of a neighbor) and none were interested in taking on a one off small project.

Waltmart, thanks for the contact, I'll reach out and see if he has anything that may work.

I was really trying to avoid modifying the mounting points, as that requires cutting into the structure, but maybe when I drop it off at my welder's for some work over the winter I'll have him take a look and see if he can come up with a solution. I guess I trust a modified structure rather than a modified cylinder.

thank you all for the suggestions!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts