My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,301 Posts
Anyway, never saw BNL (or KT) before, but this was at least the fifth time I've seen BTE (at least once at Lupos on Westminster, then Lupos at The Strand (both in Providence), also the Avalon and the Paradise in Boston).
Talk about a blast from the past. The last time I was at Lupo's was in 1980.

How the mighty have fallen. I first saw the BNL in a packed TD center (Boston Garden) with Guster opening for them. A few years ago I saw what was left of them at some rinky-dink campground on Lake Webster with about 30 people in attendance.

Mike, I don't know if you can get it down where you are, but the closest station to alternative that I know of around here is 92.5 The River in Haverhill. Of course, WBLM is still going strong in Portland, ME. It's out of my reach here, but I'll listen to it all the way from the big green bridge over the Piscatiqua to Bar Harbor when I head up there in a few weeks.

The Foo Fighters are my daughter's favorite band. She even has a Foo Fighters tattoo and I'm not happy about it.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
How old is your daughter that you're upset about a Foo tattoo? Or, is it just not tastefully done (design, size, location)? I'm not a tattoo guy myself, but have no idea what my kids might try someday.

I do get 92.5 (on most days, anyway). WBRU was awesome: Lunch Blocks, Summer Concert Series, Birthday Bash shows, 12 Cuts Above the Rest, etc. Their dedication to local music and new artists was incredible.

I've never seen U2, but they're playing Mohegan on Tuesday, and tickets are still available. But, they're $200-$500 each! And, looking at recent setlists, they're only playing something like a dozen songs??? No thanks.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
31,358 Posts
While I agree that Cure is probably an acquired taste, their shows are unreal. Here's the setlist from the last time I saw them. I've seen them at least 5 times, lost count, but I've seen them at least once in each of these venues: Providence Civic Center (I think twice), Worcester Centrum, Great Woods (Tweeter Center) and Agganis Arena.

Latest setlist:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cure/2016/agganis-arena-boston-ma-3fe7943.html

That's right, 31 songs, including the 4 encores, over something like 3 hours. What they can do with layering guitar sounds, and specialized treatments of their songs during concerts, is simply mind-blowing.
Ive been a fan of the Cure since the early days. Ive never caught them live though. That concert that got released a few years ago on DVD is amazing though!!!

Well since my last posting years ago in this thread Ive gotten to a few other shows.. Two of them were mind blowing! One was the Eric Johnson acoustic tour... The skill level of that guy is just amazing, and wile mostly known for electric playing, his acoustic music can take your breath away. One song when it ended you could see feel the whole room just fell silentfor a gasp after... it was wild.

the other was a performer names Trixie Whitley. She is a new independent artest, whose style runs, across the board, but soul, blues, jazzy, would be a good starting point.. OK... Ill preface this by saying I hate to see a show, and hear the songs like they are right off the CD.. Cant stand that. Give be something fresh.. show me where this can go.. The show was a mix of old and new, and songs were played in diferent time singures, speeds, keys, everything.. The band was locked in on each other and the musics was TIGHT!! Add to that having a seat right in front, and having her sitting right next to me singing one song was pretty awesome also!!

·
never too old to learn
354 Posts
Showing my age here, but the best performance I ever attended was at a farm in upstate New York in August of 1969 owned by a guy named Max Yasgur...never was and never will be a collection of such great musicians....I had gone specifically because I loved Janis Joplin....but all of them really cranked it up in memorable fashion....for some reason I do remember Joe Cocker doing With a little help from my friends
I led a sheltered life on the ‘farm’ and never knew of the concert, at 14, until told by more worldly friends (they were 15 and 16). I don’t know as I would have gone even though I was on the end fringe of the generation. Glad you made it (and survived!).

Another friend of mine worships Janis to this day, and owns clothing and other memorabilia of hers. His apartment in the Haight was close to one she had there, so he tells me.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
I might go see REO Speedwagon this weekend. They're opening for Chicago, in Mansfield (Great Woods). I've seen REO once (late 80s, Providence). I've never seen Chicago. Wife is trying to find a sitter for the boys.

Anyone here ever seen Chicago?

Mike

PS: Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson are touring together. Yikes...

·
Registered
152 Posts
My wife and I saw the REO / Chicago show in Pittsburgh this past Saturday. Chicago was incredible, hope you can get a sitter, it is a great show. Opening act was lame, though

I might go see REO Speedwagon this weekend. They're opening for Chicago, in Mansfield (Great Woods). I've seen REO once (late 80s, Providence). I've never seen Chicago. Wife is trying to find a sitter for the boys.

Anyone here ever seen Chicago?

Mike

PS: Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson are touring together. Yikes...

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Thanks guys. We have a sitter, and great seats!

I have low expectations of the opening act, LOL...

I'm really going to see REO, Chicago will be a nice bonus!

Saw a YouTube clip of them playing together a few years ago, as in, on the stage together, alternating between songs from each group. That was really cool.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
We're here, 12th row center! REO was absolutely amazing!!!!! I just spent an ungodly amount on souvenirs.

They're setting up for Chicago now.

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Chicago certainly did a great job. 10 guys on the stage, played for a solid two hours.

Probably the oldest crowd I've literally ever seen in my life, LOL...

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
I've never paid attention to this before, but REO had a bunch of different Les Paul varieties, Chicago was all Fender (and lots of different ones).

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
We saw REO Speedwagon again tonight! This time, at Twin River in Lincoln, RI (growing up, this place was a greyhound racing track).

Anyway, they sounded great. Bruce (bass) had some trouble singing (Back on the Road Again), but they were awesome otherwise.

They played for about 70 minutes, took a break and did three more songs in the encore. No opening act, I really hoped they'd have played for at least another 30 minutes.

Good seats, seventh row, but offset to the left this time. Met some great people and reminisced about all sorts of concerts we've seen through the years.

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Hard to believe that this was a year ago...

I saw Better than Ezra, opened for Bare Naked Ladies at Mohegan Sun in CT...... this was at least the fifth time I've seen BTE (at least once at Lupos on Westminster, then Lupos at The Strand (both in Providence), also the Avalon and the Paradise in Boston). They put on an amazing show, and really should be a headliner, not an opening act (they were forced to play a 45-minute set, and we're just getting warmed up when they had to leave the stage).
Saw BTE again tonight, at the Paradise in Boston. They were the main act, and played for over two hours! That's more like it!!!

These guys are definitely the most fun band I've ever seen. They have 30 years of their own music, and throw in lots of random covers: Elton John, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith (when in Boston...), James, Ah Ha, and more. They play along with the audience and have lots of banter with the crowd.

I got there just after the doors opened, and was second row...

Mike

Edit/PS: The only way this could have been better is if it had been an all-ages show. I showed my ticket to my 12-year-old this morning, and he looked very sad that he couldn't come with me.

Attachments

·
Citizen of Earth
15,226 Posts
This is a really tough question to answer. Tractorholic mentioned Lorrie Morgan, and we saw her just a few months ago. She sounded great. Her son was with her and he sounds a lot like his dad (Keith Whitley). She sang her heart out and stayed to sign autographs until the last person in line and with a smile and a kind word for all. I've seen Three Dog Night 3 times, at the Pocono Rock Festival in 1972, again in 1989 and again in 2018 and all 3 shows were great. We have seen the original Righteous Brothers and the "new" version and both were great. We've seen Kathy Mattea, Judy Collins, George Jones, The Oak Ridge Boys, The Statler brothers, Phil Vasser, John Cafferty, Gene Watson, Michael McDonald, Chaka Khan, Marty Stuart (GREAT show), and many more. But If I have to pick just ONE? For music , it would be The Moody Blues. I got to see them twice. The music is incredible. For Comedy, I've seen Gabriel Iglacias, Joe Koy, the late Ralphie May, George Lopez (not a good show), Carlos Mencia (great show), George Carlin, Steven Wright, Rodney Carrington, but the very best comedy show I ever saw was George Burns in Easton, Pa at the State Theatre around 1988. He was 96 at the time and so funny. He started the show by thanking us for inviting him back, Seems that he had performed at the same theater in the 1930's with Gracie Allen.

·
Parts collector
2,959 Posts
Ok I made it through 2 pages and had to just roll on by.

Not that I don't want to know what you guys like but my brain couldn't handle it. LOL........

So MY #1 "performer" is Travis Tritt. As a solo act he is AMAZING! The guy has a voice to dream for as a singer like me, on top of the fact he is an awesome player and his song just hit a place in my heart!

#2 My all time favorite "band" to see is Skynyrd. My wife bought us meet and greet tickets last year for the farewell tour in Hershey. I have seen the "new band" 12 times, once on my 42nd B'day thanks to my ex-wife. Yep first day of the tour with Hank JR Last tour with Leon Wilkerson, Billy Powell and Hughie Thomson before they died. :tango_face_crying:

#3 but not lastly The **** Yankees, seen them 4 times and they are awesome! Flippin TED IS AN ANIMAL!

Not that too many of you will know these bands but Third day was awesome in concert. I saw them 3 times. And Casting Crowns is awesome also, we sat in the rain to listen to them finish their show at Creation Festival NE. I saw Random Hero and Ashes Remain at Creation festival NE here in PA and they are great performers.

I can't "tag" anyone as my "go to" "performance band" but I think if I had to choose it would be Skynyrd. Just because I have loved their music since I was 10. :tango_face_wink:

Travis Tritt would be my second. :tango_face_grin:

Yes that is right! I had my arm around the LEGEND, GARY ROSSINGTON! Shook hands and talked to all of them. They are ALL awesome people! They love what they do and LOVE their fans!

Attachments

·
2,802 Posts
Grateful Dead. My avatar gives it away.
Ditto....and now Dead & Company are fabulous..with John Mayer and Oteill Burberidge and Jeff Chimenti complimenting the original Dead drummers and Weir...it's a long strange trip...back in April I saw the Allman Betts Band.....if you were an Allman Brothers fan ...you will love them...also gotta love Clapton

you will need 16 minutes to listen to this...worth every second

·
Registered
809 Posts
Still say it's the Dead, but........I never got to actually see Clapton live.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
I did a little research down memory lane... Here are the BTE dates I remember:

1998/1999: Lupos (Peerless building, Westminster St, Providence): Three dates are listed online over these two years, I saw them at least once, although I could swear that I saw them there before then.

2004: Lupos (Strand theater, Providence): The only time my wife has seen them. They were promoting their live CD/DVD taped at the House of Blues in New Orleans. I bought the DVD at this concert and watch it all the time, especially when cooking big meals (Christmas, etc.). Kevin lost his mind when the club management shut down the concert to get us all to leave so they could let the new crowd in for a DJ-based hip-hop weekly dance party. BTE wanted to finish their set, but weren't allowed. Kevin apologized to us and swore they'd never play there again. According to online searching, they haven't.

2006: Avalon (Boston): Saw them with a co-worker, as my wife was about 6-7 months pregnant with my first son. After the show, I was walking by their tour bus, and saw a very happy looking fan coming out, with Kevin right behind him thanking him, etc. As soon as the guy got out (and before the door closed all the way), I heard Kevin start screaming at someone else in the bus for leaving the door open. Can't blame him, that's essentially their home.

2009: Paradise (Boston): First show I saw with their new (at the time) drummer, Michael Jerome. I really didn't like that Travis was gone, but Michael is an incredible drummer.

2018: Mohegan Sun Arena (Uncasville, CT): Opened for Barenaked Ladies, only played for 45 minutes, but owned the place! This was also memorable because it was the first time I took the RV to attend a concert. Didn't really have to, but we made a family weekend out of it at a nearby campground.

2019: Paradise (Boston): The place seemed smaller than I remember from 2009. But, they were incredible.

I love reading your stories about bands meeting with fans. Nowadays with everything online (fewer record sales), bands seem to have limited revenue streams, so they really need to earn their income on the road. Not only are ticket prices way out of line historically, but the newest concept seems to be "VIP" packages, which often (but shockingly not always) include a meet-and-greet session.

Some of the bands I've met (for free): The Sundays, Violent Femmes, No Doubt (but Gwen wasn't around), Dishwalla (in the dressing room, after I'd won a skateboard at a charity auction), 311 (at a No Doubt show where 311 opened, or vice-versa). I've been within a few feet of Marilyn Manson at Lupos (not on a night he was playing there), but didn't walk up to him (not a very big fan).

Mike

41 - 60 of 76 Posts