My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Terrain is 3 mostly flat acres, although it can get rough in spots. There are trees to go around, and roots can be a challenge - I frequently get stuck with the current machine's open diff.

Current machine is a 2011 Cub Cadet LTX 1050VT 50" that I believe just blew it's transmission. The belt won't stay on the trans pulley, and when replacing the belt it makes a loud grinding noise, and the belt jumps off again. Every day it's something with this thing, and with only 300 hours on the clock, I expected it to last a little longer.

I found a 1988 Bolens DGT 1700, but know nothing about them, so I made a thread here: https://www.mytractorforum.com/18-bolens-forum/1338577-1988-1991-bolens-dgt-1700-duratrac-series.html

Next up is a Simplicity 1694014, 50" deck and comes with plow and chains. 600 hours concerns me, although I guess they have a commercial engine? I'm more worried about the rest of the machine. Priced a little less than the Bolens, but still seems pricey to me.

Looking for tractor suggestions here. I don't mind wrenching, but my one and only experience with an MTD big box machine has been poor at best.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

·
4,190 Posts
Which Simpliciy are you looking at? An LT is fine on flat terrain, but 3 acres is pretty demanding.....I am a Simplicity fan, but not sure which model you are considering...any GT should be more than sufficient under the conditions you described...I would even consider a CC again, just not the LT size...that Bolens with a diesel will last forever

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
what's your budget?
are you averse to used / good-condition equipment?
are you looking for a mower-only?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which Simpliciy are you looking at? An LT is fine on flat terrain, but 3 acres is pretty demanding.....I am a Simplicity fan, but not sure which model you are considering...any GT should be more than sufficient under the conditions you described...I would even consider a CC again, just not the LT size...that Bolens with a diesel will last forever
Model # is above. According to the seller it's a Conquest.

What about tossing a new transmission in the Cub?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
With mower only and 3 acres I would want a zero turn. I cut almost that much with a Kubota SCUT with a 54" deck and while a fine machine it was too slow to suit me.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
$ 500-900.

Not averse to used at all.

Mower only - maybe I'll pull a cart with firewood a few times a year, but that's it.
for $500-$900, you probably aren't going to have any better experiences than what you already had.
For that kind of money, you simply can not buy any kind of reliability or longevity - even in the used market. Sorry!

·
Registered
554 Posts
for $500-$900, you probably aren't going to have any better experiences than what you already had.
For that kind of money, you simply can not buy any kind of reliability or longevity - even in the used market. Sorry!
Agree. Especially if you want/need something with a locking rear.

You’re better off spending more up front than trying to get a cheaper machine and putting money into it because it won’t handle what you’re expecting.

I’m partial to green stuff. If you can deal without the locking diff, find a GT235 or GT245. If you want the locking diff, look for a GX255 or 04/05 GX335/GX345 (these will blow your budget, though).

I do agree with the previous mention of a zero turn. If you’re just looking to mow, that’s the route I’d take.

·
That Guy
1,119 Posts
Are you adverse to financing a new machine? Had I been committed to paying cash my budget would have been about the same as yours, but I was willing to put myself on debt for 3 years in order to have the right machine for the job.

Of course, not everyone is as foolish as I am.

:ROF

·
4,190 Posts
With mower only and 3 acres I would want a zero turn. I cut almost that much with a Kubota SCUT with a 54" deck and while a fine machine it was too slow to suit me.
I was thinking the same thing except the tree roots that he mentions...they would be rough on a ZT...if that is the Conquet with the 2 cylinder 25 HP it is a good GT and up to the task all around

·
LBAD Victim
975 Posts
As previously mentioned, your budget is what is going to kill you. i too, would look at a zero turn, or a John Deere GT or GX of some sorts.

·
4,190 Posts
I assumed that the tractors that he said he was considering were within his price range..that Simplicity has 600 hours on that 2 cylinder engine..I believe it is a 2,000 hour engine and a good deal if it is priced in that neighborhood...If it were not for the tree roots ZT would be the way for sure...I am not up on the prices on them...could a good one be had in that price frame?

·
Blank Space
3,013 Posts
I've seen push mowers over $500 lately. A new rider capable of the task will be $2500 at least. Basic big box store riders will be $1200 or more.

It isn't the acres or the hours, it's the terrain and obstructions.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Budget isn’t realistic for what you want- in the 500-900 buck range you will more than likely end up with another POS. with 3 acres and your terrain, you have a few choice- get another used box store tractor with cheap tranny and hope you get 2 or 3 years out of it, buy a used GT something with diff lock in the 2k to 3k range, probably have to wrench it a bit and maybe put a few bucks into it, but will last a while- or get yourself a new XT-3, Simplicity or John Deere GT, and be set for next 25 years or more with reliable mowing option- advantage of new is financing options, with used you have to pay all up front out of pocket or take a loan

Its fine to go cheap- just understand you will probably get mere few months to 3 years out of it. Even a new box store tractor will not last long on 3 acre lot; they simply aren’t designed for that

·
Registered
64 Posts
I started this mowing season as a very happy 2009 SLTX 1050 owner and then in July had a mishap and ended up replacing deck spindles and blades and still had poor quality cut. I started my search looking to replace with the same as I had but found the quality was not what I hoped. I was also looking at Husqvarna but they have a lot of complaints on-line so I went to my local JD dealer and I was impressed with the quality but the price was out of sight.
I started reading some stuff on this Forum and 2 things read got my attention, first since I am an old guy I am experiencing a decline in what I am able to do. One person said " think about what you will be able to years down the road not just now. And second " buy once, cry once". You will end up spending less time and money if you buy something designed to mow 3 acres and do what ever else you need to do.
I ended up deciding that I needed a drive-over deck and 4WD so I can push snow, right now I have a wake behind track blower but I know in years to come that is going to be too much for me handle. I clear my driveway and many of my neighbors who are unable to clear there own. So I bought a JD X738 with a 54" deck. Which was 10 times more then I wanted to spend, 3 times more then I thought I would spend . JD has 0% down, 0% interest for 60 to 84 months depending on what you get. Just a thought.

·
4,190 Posts
Terrain is 3 mostly flat acres, although it can get rough in spots. There are trees to go around, and roots can be a challenge - I frequently get stuck with the current machine's open diff.

Current machine is a 2011 Cub Cadet LTX 1050VT 50" that I believe just blew it's transmission. The belt won't stay on the trans pulley, and when replacing the belt it makes a loud grinding noise, and the belt jumps off again. Every day it's something with this thing, and with only 300 hours on the clock, I expected it to last a little longer.

I found a 1988 Bolens DGT 1700, but know nothing about them, so I made a thread here: https://www.mytractorforum.com/18-bolens-forum/1338577-1988-1991-bolens-dgt-1700-duratrac-series.html

Next up is a Simplicity 1694014, 50" deck and comes with plow and chains. 600 hours concerns me, although I guess they have a commercial engine? I'm more worried about the rest of the machine. Priced a little less than the Bolens, but still seems pricey to me.

Looking for tractor suggestions here. I don't mind wrenching, but my one and only experience with an MTD big box machine has been poor at best.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
OK..what are the asking prices on the Bolens and Simplicity?...You say you are considering used and you sounded like you were considering one of these 2...are they within your budget or not?

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
A quick FB marketplace shows lots of good material to work with in upstate NY as long as you know you're going to have to replace some parts to end up with a good machine. Bolens diesel is a little above price range but sooooo worth it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
Couple more gems came up. Diesel JD 355D and what may be a Troy-Bilt GTX20 which had a factory loader available for it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts