Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What JD is best of GT pulling? THanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hey Keith,

We have a local John Deere dealer here in town and the son of the owner competes in the pulling circuit here. He runs an older John Deere 240. I don't know if this is a glowing endorsement for the 240 but I would suspect that junior has his pick of whatever the guys have in the shop. Don't know enough about the older John Deeres and that "Variator Drive" but I did speak to a couple guys who saidit works well for pulling.

A lot of guys use Wheelhorse tractors which are also belt drive. They have what they call a cheater pedal or cheater stick. (some rules required both hands on the steering wheel while pulling) When/if the belt starts to slip as the sled loads up, you mash the pedal and it tightens up the pulley.

Yes, belt drives work, but we've had that conversation.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Keith,

We have a local John Deere dealer here in town and the son of the owner competes in the pulling circuit here. He runs an older John Deere 240. I don't know if this is a glowing endorsement for the 240 but I would suspect that junior has his pick of whatever the guys have in the shop. Don't know enough about the older John Deeres and that "Variator Drive" but I did speak to a couple guys who saidit works well for pulling.

A lot of guys use Wheelhorse tractors which are also belt drive. They have what they call a cheater pedal or cheater stick. (some rules required both hands on the steering wheel while pulling) When/if the belt starts to slip as the sled loads up, you mash the pedal and it tightens up the pulley.

Yes, belt drives work, but we've had that conversation.
seems like in some ways with a high quality belt, the belt drive might be more forgiving than a shaft?

·
Registered
678 Posts
The "Gates" brand belts seem to hold up well on the Wheelhorse pullers. And yes they would be more forgiving than a shaft if that is what you want. Not sure what you are trying to protect though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts