My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Rider on the Storm
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new grease gun or two, and I'm not sure the best way to proceed. I use Amsoil greases (GLC and GPTR2), but not a lot of either in any given year. The GLC is sold in 3oz and 14oz cartridges, and the GPTR2 is sold in 14oz cartridges, but not the 3oz size.

I have a really, really old lever action gun that works, but is a hassle at times because it requires two hands, and getting the grease fitting not to leak can be tough. So unless I can be convinced otherwise, I think lever is out.

I've never owned or used a pistol grip or a mini, but they seem like the way to go for casual homeowner use. The specific ones I have looked into are:

Lincoln: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Lubrication-1134-Pistol-Grease/dp/B0002NYDZ8/[/ame]

Lumax: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Lumax-LX-1152-Deluxe-Pistol-Grease/dp/B000MD4YKM/[/ame]

Amsoil: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/grease/amsoil-grease-gun-kit/

I was thinking of getting the full-size Lincoln or the full-size Lumax for the GPTR2 and the Amsoil Mini Grease Gun for the GLC... but it would be cheaper in the long run to buy 2 full size grease guns and 14oz cartridges of the GLC and GPTR2, though I use so little per year, the 3oz cartridges still kinda make sense.

I'm not sure what to do. :dunno: I don't want air or battery grease guns, but can anyone comment on my thoughts or offer recommendations on hand grease gun styles, manufacturers, etc.?
:thanku:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I have used all of them except for the mini. I don't see the point in one, grease won't go bad and I'm sure it's cheaper to buy it in the bigger quantities. I don't really have a preference on pistol grip vs. lever. A lever is nice if you are doing a big job because your hands won't get tired. 90% of the time there is something to brace the gun on so you can hold the hose. But my hands get pretty tired when you gotta do the 20+ zerks on a 20ft mower. But if I could only have one, it would be the pistol grip.

From what I've experienced the brand of the grease gun itself doesn't seem to really matter. The more you pay the better they are as far as ergonomics and finish go but they all seem to pump grease. The fitting on the other hand is something you wanna get the best money can buy. Nothing worse than a cheap one that is hard to get off and leaks.

Definitely get one with a hose. Lots of things you can't get to with a pipe.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I like the pistol grip because you can hold the tip on the grease fitting with one hand while pumping the gun with the other hand. This case is if you have a rubber extension hose on the gun.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I hve a pistol grip and I find it much easier than the old lever type I had. As stated, you can hold the fitting and pump.

·
Rider on the Storm
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback!! It is very helpful! Seems that the full-size pistol grip is the way to go. I posted links to Lincoln and the Lumax models above.

Anyone have a specific brand and/or model recommendation? Or have any thoughts on the two I posted above?:dunno:

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I have and use all three. Prefer the Pistol over the Lever, except at work I have a Lever with long pipe extension with a swivel end. Only use it when I have to grease machines with lots of zerts on them. At home I have 2 regular Pistol Grip ones and 1 mini. When the cartrige that came with it ran out, I thru it away and load it by hand(fingers lol) from a 13oz tube. For home use, get the Lincoln Pistol grip.:trink40:

·
Rider on the Storm
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have and use all three. Prefer the Pistol over the Lever, except at work I have a Lever with long pipe extension with a swivel end. Only use it when I have to grease machines with lots of zerts on them. At home I have 2 regular Pistol Grip ones and 1 mini. When the cartrige that came with it ran out, I thru it away and load it by hand(fingers lol) from a 13oz tube. For home use, get the Lincoln Pistol grip.:trink40:
:thanku:

2 follow-up questions:

1) Is your choice of the Lincoln for a particular reason (quality, feature(s), price, etc.). I have no problem with the $35ish price... but I am curious as to why that is tops on your list.

2) Any argument for the mini (or against it)?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have all 3 and also a air operated one from harbor freight and I like the cheapo from harbor 1 pull of the trigger equals 1 pump. them I like the pistol too if I am not around air. here is the 1 from harbor.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-grease-gun-219.html

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
I was spoiled when I was a teenager working at a real service station, trained by men who knew how to properly grease cars and trucks - with those huge barrels of grease pumped by the huge industrial grade compressor! Spoiled by quality! So, thanks for this thread. I've been looking a lot for grease guns, and my early life spoiling ruint me for this cheap made stuff. So, I'm thinking I'll try to find a quality air grease gun to use with my compressor. Thanks for posting the link to the HF one, now, I'm going to try to find one maybe better quality, but like that one.

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
I found a Lincoln air gun for $72, great reviews, it's the one I'll get.

·
Registered
353 Posts
OK, I'll bite.

"which grease gun is best?"

A quick inventory of the shop and I repeat a quick inventory only; turns up 2, minis one with hose and one with rigid pipe, 2 lever pumps same nozzle configuration as the minis, one pistol grip with hose, a couple of really small needle guns for air tools and similar applications, a lever gun with a short straight pipe loaded with wheel bearing grease and an ARO pneumatic gun on a five gallon bucket which I decided to sell. There are probably a few more lurking in the dark recesses. I keep the hand guns stored in a five gallon bucket by hanging the from the rim by the handles and keep the hoses and nozzles pointed to the center, which keeps the mess to a minimum. I also have a reloader pump on a five gallon bucket that I use to reload the guns rather than buying cartons of cartridges and running out right when I need it. The wheel bearing gun goes with a small bench top packer which saved me the mess of hand packing wheel bearings back when that was a common job in automotive service.

Over the decades, I have collected them as I had need. Having multiples of this basic piece of shop equipment has saved me hours of aggravation and frustration servicing equipment. As far as I am concerned there is no one singular "BEST" style. The question is more "Which is best for what I am doing right now?"

They all have their place and use. As far as the "Go To Gun"? I would have to say it is probably the pistol grip with a hose.

As far as what brand is best? It depends on what you are going to do with it. Harbor Freight will suffice for the average home owner and an actual working service mechanic will probably pop for a more expensive one like a Lincoln that can be rebuilt. I have a mix of brands as mine were sourced through whatever the parts store was selling at the moment. As long as you don't drive over the gun they tend to last a lifetime (DNAMHIKT). Every auction I have ever been to has had a bunch of grease guns. It's not likely that they will die from a lack of lubrication, now is it?

Don't forget the adapters for specialty lube points like needle adapters, etc.

The cheapest replacement part on any piece of machinery is grease!

·
blinged out
1,346 Posts
Nothing makes greasing less of a chore like putting a 35" hose on the gun, that way you can position your arms and body comfortably!
I greased 25-30 tractor/trailers a day for 4yrs. when your going through a drum a week your you need comfort!

I also used the Lincoln electric at a Facility maintenance job pumping about 3 tubes a day through it,with no problems!that will be my next home shop grease gun purchase!

just hook two or three hose together with a coupler if you can't find a long hose!

·
Rider on the Storm
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up ordering the Lincoln 1134: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Lubrication-1134-Pistol-Grease/dp/B0002NYDZ8/[/ame]

I'll try it out and let you know what I think!

·
Rider on the Storm
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the 1134 in today and loaded the Amsoil Truck & Chassis Grease. I've got to be honest, it was a royal pain to get the grease primed. :banghead3 The gun was new and Amsoil's GPTR2 is very tacky, so it didn't want to move. After playing with it for a while, it finally primed, and it worked very well. I greased a number of fittings without issue.

So far so good, but I hope the next cartridge primes much easier than this first one did. :praying:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts