My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Blank Space
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Been working on a project using lots of tools and hardware on the back lawn (necessary for where everything had to be). Even with fresh cut grass, trying to find a small nut or bolt can be difficult to say the least. Even with my bad case of the dropsies where I drop half of what I try to pick up, I never lost one with this gadget on a string. Sometimes I had to go over the area a few times, but I found everything I dropped; even a couple of things I didn't know I'd dropped.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Can I borrow it ? Just yesterday I pulled a kohler starter apart to clean it up cause it was not sounding good. 2 of the 4 brush springs fell to the ground, I can't find the darn things !! Had to order a starter rebuild kit. :banghead3

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Ive been meaning to get one of those for a while. I currently use a metal detecting pinpointer or the metal detector for those pesky "lost sockets" that I have a habit of dropping in the slightly taller grass.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Can I borrow it ? Just yesterday I pulled a kohler starter apart to clean it up cause it was not sounding good. 2 of the 4 brush springs fell to the ground, I can't find the darn things !! Had to order a starter rebuild kit. :banghead3
Are brush springs magnetic? I never tried, but aren't they some copper alloy? Curiosity has got me...

·
15,000 +posts!
20,719 Posts
I often have to use an old speaker magnet to find stuff I dropped in the grass,leaves or dirt...but the one thing I lose most often,a magnet wont pick up--and thats a needle valve from a carb,I guess they are stainless or some other non magnetic metal!--I always put them in the carb bowl so I wont lose them--them without fail,end up knocking it over and end up spending an afternoon on my hands and knees looking for the *** needle !..sometimes I get lucky and the little clip is still on it,those are steel and the magnet can grab them!...

My friend bought one of those magnets from a flea market years ago---next time he went fishing,he brought it with him,hoping to find a reel he lost on the river some time ago--he paddled out to the spot where it fell overboard.not far from a highway overpass the river goes under...he didn't find his reel,but he reeled in two GUNS and a rusty hunting knife...he took the guns to the cops,both came up as "stolen" in a housebreak in a town about 5 miles away...:eek:....

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
That is the #1 tool for a back yard mechanic that is all thumbs. :sidelaugh

·
Registered
104 Posts
Try one of the mag,parts bowel for nuts and bolts.Needlevlves use duck tape.Lay the part on the tape and press down. Works for me.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Frizbees.
Great rubberized 'pan' that comes in many colors and sizes.
Great for dumping nuts, bolts, screws, whatever, out and then funnelling them back into the jar.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Frizbees.
Great rubberized 'pan' that comes in many colors and sizes.
Great for dumping nuts, bolts, screws, whatever, out and then funnelling them back into the jar.
No No the Frisbees are no good. You put you crap in there and than the dog comes and takes it all and it is all gone for ever and this is how you get the Frisbee back. :crybaby:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,937 Posts
My local Chinese food take-out place uses nice plastic trays with lids. Not as good as the magnetic trays, but free!

I've also used those cheap (intended to be disposable) Rubbermaid containers, sold to hold leftover food, etc.

As mentioned, these work great as long as you don't knock it off the bench or tractor, step on it, etc...

Mike

·
15,000 +posts!
20,719 Posts
How many of us have put lug nuts in the hub cap while changing a flat--then step on one side of it and end up launching them all into oblivion,and then crawl around on your hands and knees trying to find them in the dark???...I have--more than once!--I have thought about sticking a magnet to the lug wrench so that wont happen again...:mad:
I might just put a 3' cheater pipe in the trunk next to the lug wrench too,so I can loosen the lugs that were put on with an impact gun easier too...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts