My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was wondering what the popular opinion is regarding the best engine brand/ model ever used in Deere Lawn Tractors based on type, reliability, longevity, power, etc.?
Perhaps also the worst engine based on these factors?
Thanks again,
Erich

·
Registered
948 Posts
Best: Yanmar 3 cylinder diesel engine used in the 330 and 332 garden tractors.

Second best would be the Yanmar 3 cylinder gas engine used in the 322 garden tractor.

Worst: Kohler Series I used in the 317 garden tractor.

Just my opinion.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
Best engine in my opinion would be the cast iron block Kohler "K" series single cylinder motors, were available in 10, 12, 14 and 16 HP. These motors are simple to work on, parts are readily available, they have gobs of torque, long life, easily rebuilt, they don't idle well (shake a lot) but love running at or near full throttle.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Single cylinder K series Kohler by FAR!!!!There are many,many of these machine's still doing there job nearly 50 years later.:congrats:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Onan twins get my vote. One caveat however; as Onan is no longer in business, parts are becoming scarce. This truth does not however take anything away from the awesome build quality of the Onan twin cylinder air cooled engines. It's really a pity that the current economy no longer values the methods of production and indeed even the mindset that created the Old cast iron engines like the legendary Kohler and Onan's of yesteryear.

·
MTF Member Since Day 1
622 Posts
I love the old K's but I have to think these Kawasaki's will be the new King of the twins

·
Registered
682 Posts
Cant complain about the Kawasaki 12.5 horse F460 on mine. At least it doesnt backfire like the Briggs and Stratton on the Craftsman does. Runs quite a bit quieter too.

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
Cant complain about the Kawasaki 12.5 horse F460 on mine. At least it doesnt backfire like the Briggs and Stratton on the Craftsman does. Runs quite a bit quieter too.
The Kawasaki engine in my X729 backfires through the intake (lean pop) almost everytime I go to start it. The Kawasaki engine that was in my X475 was real finicky to start when hot.

The Onan in my 318 did backfire if you where to shut her down abruptly, but she never gave me issues during start up.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
Did Deere ever use the Kohler K twins ? K-482 18 HP , K-532 20 HP or K-582 23 HP ??
The old Deere model 400 used a KQ532 Kohler twin rated at 19.9 HP. The 19.9 rating was to keep it under 20, which would have required a ROPS and other stuff due to regulations at that time. I think the reg's have changed or all those lawn tractors with 20+ HP motors would have ROPS on them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the Kawasaki 12.5 FB460V in my sx95 and it's over 20 years old and runs like a beast. I have heard that the Kawasaki engines are very good. Don't know about the new ones as the SX95 is the only Rider I have.........so far.
Thanks,
Erich

·
Registered
331 Posts
I really like my Briggs 18 v-twin vanguard. It runs quiet and very smooth compared to the other us made briggs i have. I would love to have a little yanmar but I'm already way way overkill as it is for my yard. Oh I also like my old 62 Briggs 9 horse on my Ward tractor its so simple yet cranks over on the first try everytime.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
I have heard that the Kawasaki engines are very good. ,
Erich
They sure make a bitchin' motorcycle engine. I've had 4 of those. Can't see why their utility engines should be any different.

My vote for best is the 3-cyl Yanmar diesel in the X740/744/748/749. All it needs is a turbocharger:greendr:

·
ROJ
2,183 Posts
i do believe onan is still in business.cummins now owns them and they are only used for generators now but although pricey,parts are still availible thru cummins.my vote goes to the kohler single for longevity,torque,easy of repair and parts availability.off topic but i second Rumblefish (is that a barracuda?)the old cast iron briggs are hard to beat also from my 7hp model in my 1960 simplicity 700 to the 16hp versions...anyway back to deere engines.....

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have the Kawasaki 12.5 FB460V in my sx95 and it's over 20 years old and runs like a beast. I have heard that the Kawasaki engines are very good. Don't know about the new ones as the SX95 is the only Rider I have.........so far.
Thanks,
Erich

Basiclly your rider has the same powertrain as my 165 just packaged differently. Does yours have the means to pull start it if the battery dies? Dumb question but I just wondered. My 165 runs like a beast too. The neighbors love it too. Its better than most of what they have and theirs are newer models.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine doesn't seem to have a pull start anywhere. It's good to know that some of the traditional style deere's had the same engine, if I ever need parts. What size deck/cut is your 165? Do your blades slow down considerably when re-mowing heavy cuts from days earlier? I use my SX95 to cut all 2 acrea of our yard and the back 2/3 is a field that was at one time used for farming. We get a lot of water back there so if I don't stay on top of it, it can get pretty thick. The sx95 doesn't have any trouble cutting it, but when there's a lot of leftover grass/weeds it seems to slow the blades down. I sometimes employ the half/cut strategy in the owners manual, so that the leftover is evacuated from the deck quickly and easily. The twin bagger I have fills up pretty quickly with that stuff.
Thanks for the info,
Erich

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mine has a twin cyl Onan that just goes and goes. Runs like a cloud and just keeps smoking and smoking. Only 14 hp but it does it. Can these be rebuilt anymore?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I like the kawi the best. Have had a couple of them, 20 hp twin now. Had a briggs twin 16 hp it was trouble free also but it hard to beat the Kawi.

·
MTF Member Since Day 1
622 Posts
The Kawasaki engine in my X729 backfires through the intake (lean pop) almost everytime I go to start it. The Kawasaki engine that was in my X475 was real finicky to start when hot.

The Onan in my 318 did backfire if you where to shut her down abruptly, but she never gave me issues during start up.
I've never had a backfire on my x728 or my x520 when I had it, both start just fine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts