My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about looking for a Cub to rebuild as a winter project, I currently have a GT2554 and don't need it for yard work but wouldn't mind having another tractor "Just Because" . Any ideas on the "best" one to look at for rebuilding? Wouldn't mind having a 3 point hitch. Any Thoughts?

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
a very collectable and desirable model is the 169. i think that 100's are nice looking machines. but a 169 has hydraulics. its up to you obviously. what are you planning on using it for?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Any one of them is a good choice, from the Original to the 82 series. It all boils down to what you can get in your area for a good price, and what you like best.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Wide open question. When I first started looking for my first old GT to fix up, I wanted a Cub Cadet 129 or 149. After getting beat out half a dozen times on craigslist deals, I pounced on the next thing that came along. A 1967 Sears Suburban with rear plow and grader blade for $200. I was settling, but as it turns out, it's been a blast restoring it.

Once I had that underway, back on the hunt I went for my 129-149. So, I backed into an 882 diesel for $345 bucks, lol. So I nabbed it. For some reason, I still want that 149, so I will eventually pick one up somewhere.

:trink39:

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm thinking about looking for a Cub to rebuild as a winter project, I currently have a GT2554 and don't need it for yard work but wouldn't mind having another tractor "Just Because" . Any ideas on the "best" one to look at for rebuilding? Wouldn't mind having a 3 point hitch. Any Thoughts?
A phrase most people here say on a daily basis. Tractors are kinda like tatoos, notice they don't call them ta-ones. I have more tractors than I can use, but I'm still looking for more.

·
Registered
695 Posts
There seems to be a lot of cubs in this area. CL is kinda cyclic. There will be several of one model or another on there at different times. Always seems to be cheap prices and good availability on 1250, 1650s around here most of the time. They must have been quite popular here when they were new. I guess it depends on what you want. Just a cheap tractor to tinker with or something specific to do a certain job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the thoughts, sounds like the 149-169 models are the way to go.Kinda like the idea of having hydraulics so iI'll start looking for a 169. Any ideas what is a good price range for a restorable one should be?

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
If you want a little lawn tractor get an International cadet 80, 182, 282 (Mine) 382, and 383. I think the 282 hydro is rare, because i have looked on craiglook and only found 1!! I have one and it is a great little machine that I plann on restoring and taking to some shows. But still pretty much any cub cadet from the origional to 82 series like someone said is a good machine.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts, sounds like the 149-169 models are the way to go.Kinda like the idea of having hydraulics so iI'll start looking for a 169. Any ideas what is a good price range for a restorable one should be?
149 has hydrolics too. Also look for the 1200, 1250, 1650 and so on.

·
Registered
244 Posts
149 has hydrolics too. Also look for the 1200, 1250, 1650 and so on.
You need to find a 1450 or, 1650 for hydraulics. In the 50 seires. Here and there you see a 1250 with them. For a first time tractor a 100 would be a good pick, pretty simple to work on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts