My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I just use a series of bins, built 20 or so years ago: L to R: sawdust (mulch) bin, collecting bin, 3 - composting bins, dirt bin & sand storage bin. I chop the materials with a 5 HP chipper/shredder with the screen removed (green plants clogged the screen), then layer materials with some dirt added. A little nitrogen fertilizer speeds decomposition, I used to use ammonium nitrate, but can't get it anymore! ~~ Lowell

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use 2 of the black Urban Compost Tumblers for food/paper waste. Keeps critters and smell away. They're super thick, made from recycled plastic.

I also use an enclosed pile (brackets from Lee Valley. Pretty sturdy.) for all my yard clippings and tree chipping. Just keep dumping on top. Used cedar boards for extra pretty factor... Pic below is from Lee Valley site.

Both work well, easy to maintain. Tumblers basically stop decomposing in winter, but that's fine by me.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Although I never tried it, I think my sister had the best idea,
put the compost bin in the center of the garden!! :swow:

With it located in the center of the garden, she would plant all of her favorite plants around the perimeter of the compost.

The nutrients that leach out of the compost selectively made her favorite plants thrive!! :fing32:

·
Registered
236 Posts
My neighbor across the street uses the round cage made of wire every fall and he puts it right in the middle of the garden for his clippings and leaves and lets it there till spring. Then he takes it down and spreads out whats left in it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Could you show me a link and/or picture of the "original compost tumbler" you are referring to?

When you say you make 19bu are you saying you make 19bu of compost or dirt each week?
I have one, it's a drum that sits on a stand with a crank so that the compost can be easily turned if you are the amazing Hulk. it's no good unless you are planning to fill it once then just turn it occassionally. Definitely not a good place for a steady stream of kitchen waste. And even then and although it is a closed metal drum, the composting material is always too wet. Not sure if it's rain getting in or condensation but there is always too much moisture. Now the bottom is rotting out. I'll empty it when the weather improves and have already gone back to just building a pile.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.