My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the idea that I might want to do some farming when I retire. Probably running some steers on grass, some hay baling, maybe some corn. Looking for the most reasonably priced tractors. I have seen AC 190XTs that looked and sounded pretty decent in the $6,500 to $8000 price range. I've driven an XT before, seemed like a pretty good handling machine. I want a diesel, old enough to be pre computer, so I can do my own maintaince and overhauls. Looking for something in the 90 to 110 HP range, and something in the 50 to 70 HP range. I'll be happy to read what you will post, I love picking someones brains. I find I always learn something. I'm thinking that as high as new or reasonably new tractors have gotten in price, I could buy 3 XTs and always have 2 running for far less than a 10 year old John Deere, for example. I hope that helps you understand how I think. Looking foreward to your replies.:thanku:

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
Starting watching Clist and Auctions regularly. That will give you an idea of what each model is worth in your area. Around here a 100HP tractor will run a min. of 10k on average. A few for 8-10 but not normally unless they need work or don't run. In the 50-70 hp a JD 4010 or 4020 can't be beat for reliability. 86 and 06 series IH's are good too.

T.C.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
tcanthonyii has the right idea. Can't go wrong with a 4020 and then a gas 8n for smaller tasks. 4020 should do most everything you would need to do on a small farm! :trink39:

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
I'm not really much a JD guy anymore either! But that has got to be one of the best looking tractors and most veratile ever built. they aren't huge by any means but will do **** near anything. My grandpa bought a LP 4010 in the early 70's and it was his only true farming tractor up until he retired a few years ago. He had other tractors , JD 60 or loader tractor, Allis WD for mowing, an H for pushing things in and out of the shop and couple of others but the 4010 did all the real farming. Just definatly get something with live pto and live hydraulics. That's the only thing I wish my M had.

T.C.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts