Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 17.1%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
sears with a wheel horse engine...

cant beat the kohler, which sears did not have, however the transaxle in a sears has a more selectable drive speed...
a WH is basically only good to use in 3 2 or 1 hi, while a sears is good in 3hi, 3lo, 2hi, 2lo, etc... closer ratios i guess...

I have both, and have won with both, but given the option, id pick up a WH...

You can change the pulleys to overcome som e of the ratio problems...

My 2cents

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
Ive always been a sears guy, they have their limitations...with a few mods u can keep up with and beat the wheel horse guys...Or that was true at our last 2 clubs...But the cubs ended up beating us out...

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
I think the trannies are about on par with each other. A splined hub HD sears rear end from 75-79 is hard to kill. From what I have seen, the Sears frame is a bit more beefy than WH and a Sears can been weighted better. I have yet to run into a WH that challenges my SS/16.

As far as engines go, if you are pulling transfer sled, Onan is the way to go!!!!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
im a sears guy at heart so obviously sears.... who has a stronger bullet proof trans i think neither does out of the box if ya go putting big power to them... for stock classes both are good in my opinion till ya get to the 20+ classes then i think wh might have an edge...... hugh come out here and pull in our 16 class haha theres a few wh's that would like to have a snack lol.... never mind the 20hp class.... i love how that one p220 wh pulls tho gesh that thing is something else

·
Registered
318 Posts
As far as engines go, if you are pulling transfer sled, Onan is the way to go!!!!

Okay I've had my laugh of the day !
He's right Hugh head over to NY. Either Catskill or Brookfield clubs will let you hook.
I'm heading out way to Ct/Ma this summer to do some pulling with the modifieds. What club do you pull with ?
Duane

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
I dont pull with any traveling clubs, I pull with my local 4H club, all kids. Im 16 :D But seriously, when kids at my club with their briggs and kohlers are almost stalling at the end of their pulls and my SS/16 isnt braking a sweat I just sit there and let the engine work. Now, I have my N52M big block waiting in the wings for the day when the 16 isnt gutsy enough.

The only engine I have pulled against that had more balls than my Onan was a THD Wisconsin, but thats a 60ci inline 2 cast iron, and my 16hp is a 40ci opposed aluminum.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
I guy over on the yahoo group pulled with a sears but he put a wheel horse trans in it and a 16 hp kohler.

The sears trans kept blowing out the bottom. He had ton of weight or so I think he said.
The most I have pulled so far is 2400# dead weight on clay, no complaints from my tranny at all.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
BTW, when I pulled 2400, my tractor weighed 1300

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Yeah Hugh I ment is tractors weight was over a ton. He had so much traction and power from the 16 Kohler that was hopped up, that it would blow pinions right out the bottom of the trans before it would break traction. He added extra clutch pulleys and springs so the belt wouldn't slip and a lever to hold the hi/low locked in so it wouldn't pop out.

There are pictures over there under Modified Sears.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
More belts = more power lost. The simpler you can keep it, the better. Sears and WH use one belt, direct from the engine to the trans, nothing in the middle to sap power. For transfer sled, look for something with a big twin cylinder.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
Check out these pics, this is what the inside of a Sears Hi/Lo tranny looks like

·
Always Learning
2,157 Posts
Wheel Horse, they are lighter so you can choose your weight placement better, their trans are stronger, and they are easier to repair, and modify.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.