My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow JD fans,

I was cutting my grass earlier and forgot about a stump in the yard :Stop: and WAMMO! :duh: She really cracked loud. I got about 1/4 of the stump out now...:fing20:

So, anyway, I start 'er back up and somethings hitting, so I stop the blades and get under it to see what's going on. I determined one of the blades was hitting the deck on one side of the blade.

What do you think? Bent blade? That would be my assumption. I did remove both blades and they are not radically different, but one may be a bit. I would think it wouldn't be the deck, would it? Or, does it sound like the spindle? I would think that one would suck the most and be the most expensive.

Just thought I'd see if any of you experts have any ideas as although I'm a JD fan, I'm certainly not an expert!

Thanks,

Mark
:greendr:

·
Registered
264 Posts
hopefully you didn't bend the shaft that the blad bolts on to. When you pulled the blad off, did you notice it?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hopefully you didn't bend the shaft that the blad bolts on to. When you pulled the blad off, did you notice it?
seemed to look OK. I did remove both blades, thinking I'll want them even when I replace them. I even started it up without the blades and everything seemed OK. It just barely hit one side of the one blade, in fact, once it got spinning it was OK but hit on start up and stopping.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Pull the deck off and flip it over. Lay a straight edge across the deck and measure from blade tip to the straight edge. Keeping the straight edge in the same place, turn the blade a half turn and measure the other tip. If they vary you have either a bent blade or a bent mandrel. Do the same with the other blade. If the other blade is straight, swap blades and measure again. If the problem swaps sides, it's the blade that's bent. If it doesn't, it's the mandrel.

If the metal on the deck is bent, turning and swapping blades won't change any of the measurements. To check for a bent deck, you need to lay the straight edge across the centres of two mandrels and line up both blades with the straight edge. Then measure the four points at the two blade tips. If they vary, the deck is bent.

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
I hit a stump one time so hard the motor quit. The only damage was a bent blade.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pull the deck off and flip it over. Lay a straight edge across the deck and measure from blade tip to the straight edge. Keeping the straight edge in the same place, turn the blade a half turn and measure the other tip. If they vary you have either a bent blade or a bent mandrel. Do the same with the other blade. If the other blade is straight, swap blades and measure again. If the problem swaps sides, it's the blade that's bent. If it doesn't, it's the mandrel.

If the metal on the deck is bent, turning and swapping blades won't change any of the measurements. To check for a bent deck, you need to lay the straight edge across the centres of two mandrels and line up both blades with the straight edge. Then measure the four points at the two blade tips. If they vary, the deck is bent.
thanks for those ideas. I've already removed the blades. Is there an accurate way to find out if it's the blades with the blades off?:thanku:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hit a stump one time so hard the motor quit. The only damage was a bent blade.
interesting. I would have thought the blade would be the most obvious, but now I'm not so sure.

I hit a cement curb with a push mower a few years back and killed the mower. It wouldn't start after that and the repair cost was more than what it was worth.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I was bending the OEM blades almost every time I mowed. They were so thin that they would flex down in heavy cutting or if I hit a puddle.

I have Gator blades now which are much stiffer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not really. You can spoon them together to see if they are badly bent but for accuracy you need to follow the procedure I outlined.
oh, ok. That's actually a good thing because I couldn't really tell for sure with them off. thanks.

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
interesting. I would have thought the blade would be the most obvious, but now I'm not so sure.

I hit a cement curb with a push mower a few years back and killed the mower. It wouldn't start after that and the repair cost was more than what it was worth.
Haha, I did the same exact thing with two different Toro 21" mowers. The crank shaft bends real easy and bye, bye engine.

Try running a string against both blades and compare them for any irregularity

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the blades certainly seem to measure the same. They are either right on or 1/8 different depending upon how I measure. I'm thinking the shaft...spindle whatever you call it... having problems getting that off. Took off the 4 bolts, but how do I get the actual pulley off? Speaking of off, looks like now that my deck is off this is another project that will be off to the implement, because as usual, I'm a fan of JD but not a fixer!

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
You need a pulley puller. I think Autozone loans tools out for free. You can do it!

Courtesy of GR8racingfool.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks saleen!

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
If you know which side was banging, just put the other blade on that side and see if the banging continues. If the banging continues, it is not the blade. If the banging stops, it is probably the blade and you can now try the suspected bent blade on the other side and see if it bangs on that side. Don't take it to the dealer yet....you can do it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
usually if you lay blades on top of each other, you can see they are bent. autozone will lend out puller if you buy say a BEARING fom them.i bought one cheap at HARBOR FRIEGHT in my area.all years i seen blades hit things, it usually a bro flywheel key or blades.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the tips and condolences! I ended up getting it fixed at the dealer for four hundred smackers. It also took 3 weeks. I put big markers by the stump and will be getting it removed. It's been fine since.. I now spend as much time as it takes picking up anything on my yard before mowing.

Also been striping diagonally lately which looks nice. Thinking of building a striping roller too...

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
four hundred bucks! you dang near could have bought a new deck for that and put it on yourself!

it either bent a blade, the deck or a spindle andy of which would be a cheap and fairly easy fix.

BTW, i have changed spindles many times and never needed a pulley puller. undo the bolt holding it on and a couple taps with a hammer has removed even the worst stuck pulley i had.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts