My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of the peerless VST throw-a-way units in my Scotts. I took it apart to change the fluid. I don't know why they didn't make these things easier to work on. After I put it back together I discovered that the freewheel shaft was leaking!

I had to take it apart again to figure this out. Somehow the lever on the freewheel shaft got bent when I took it apart. Not only did it bend, but the metal cracked too! I'm getting it straightened and brazed today so I can put it back together. This transmission has been nothing but trouble for me.

The part below is supposed to be straight!

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
How in the world could that get bent taking it apart, did you have it in a vise? Good luck on the brazing, I hope it works for you.

Dan

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I was pumping out the fluid out I dropped a tube into the case! Which is why I needed to take it apart. I got it brazed today, it should do the trick, I'll let you all know.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the transmission back together. The gasket should be all cured up, not I'm just waiting for the fluid to get here (TEC-730228A). 5 days.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way all, I used a gasket seal called "The Right Stuff." The hydrostatic oil ate right through this stuff and leaked out. I had to buy TWO MORE QUARTS. I had to take it apart again and put it back together again. Third times a charm?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Third time= not a charm. Something is bound up in the trans and I can't even PUSH the tractor. Must be something in the diff? Taking it apart AGAIN. .. FML

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks for the tip about right stuff, usually that produce is my nuclear option when trying to cure a leak. Keep us posted on the progress.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
ouch, hope this bad luck changes for you before your wallet gets bent outta shape too. keep us posted. thanks for the warning about the "the right stuff"

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I might just trade the tractor for another one. This thing is a major thorn in my side. Too bad it is in really good shape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts