My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When talking about blades that are "out of balance" you need to consider at least 3 types of "out of balance" as I see it:

1) Weight balance. One side of the blade weighing more than the other.
2) Bend balance: One blade being higher or lower than the other. Blade will be 'out of balance' when it spins".
2) Spin balance: Can incorporate problems from 1 and 2 above(in my definition here and may counter any 'established' definition).

Others:
1) Chunk taken out of blade......weight unbalanced now?
2) grass sticks to one side of the blade more than the other?
3) infinite variables.

Something to think about when someone says a blade is "out of balance". That can mean a lot of differing things.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
2) grass sticks to one side of the blade more than the other?
(I think I might put that one in the "Bent Blade Department")

>How much "out of balance" does it take to become "effectively out of balance"?

>Does blade size/weight effect the point at which a blade becomes "effectively out of balance"?

>Is there a point at which RPM can negate the harmonic of an out of balance blade? Or stated differently, "Can I get by with a bit of throttle adjustment until I can get my wife take off my deck and do my blades?"

>"Is there anything I can coat my blades with that will help keep them in balance?":)

>Is a nail in the wall a true and accurate way to balance a blade? (Or just "batter than nothing".)

I just love physics and science as it applies to hands on around the home stuff!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts