My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i have a 1992 craftsman II with the 12 hp i/c briggs and the 38" deck

the mower kinda beats up on the deck belt. I have checked all the pullys and they turn free and do not wobble. everything is tight and the deck is level with no vibrations. this is the 2nd belt that has snapped since last season. They get beat up and finally just break

any suggestions, thanks alot

·
Registered
246 Posts
You might want to engage the deck with the belt on and check to see if the belt is rubbing on anything, like those bars that keep it on.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Make sure you are using the right type of belt: You need an "agriculture" or "outdoor power equipment" type of belt designed for clutching service. Standard automotive belts are not designed to clutch (that's what happens when you engage or disengage the mower) or be twisted.

Also, check all of the idler pulleys to make sure they rotate freely and if designed to do so, pivot or move on their lever arms easily.

Finally, what are you mowing? I made the mistake of mowing into some dead multiflora rose vines and that got on top of the mower deck and ripped the tractor belts to shreds! I can visualize the mower belts getting similar treatment.

Good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything spins freely and as it should with no wobbles and everything is straight. The belt was purchased from a long time in business mower shop. Maybe I will have to try a sears store see if the belt is the same. what is the difference between auto bely and mower. I was going to go get a auto belt because i could save some cash, but since you said they are different i will not.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you want to save a little, you could go to tractor supply(if theres any near you) just know the size of the belt.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Belts designed for agricultural uses are made with Kevlar or Aramid cords,which are much stronger than fabric cords used in "car" V-belts..it withstands shock and twisting better,and "clutching" as already discussed,most car belts dont like being used with backside idler pulleys also,or as a clutch..and they often get a twist in the cords and it will never stay in the pulleys after that happens..Kevlar belts have a rough textured "cover" that grips better and resists wear,and slippage and heat better than "fractional HP" belts will..

I think belts have a shelf life,i have bought some that hung on a rack evidently for years,and one that was neat a heating register duct cracked and broke within an hour of installing it..too bad they dont put date codes on them!..beware if the sleeve the belt comes in is all sun faded,or appears to be decades old!..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts